overdressing for interview

Unless you are wearing a cocktail dress, or something that is full of logos, you should be wearing something smart anyways. :graucho:

What were you thinking of wearing ?

I agree, unless you are wearing obvious brands or logos, it is almost impossible to overdress for an interview. A person should always overdress instead of underdress for an interview, and dressing more formally than your interviewer is perfectly acceptable. It is a sign of respect for the company and the position you desire.

i think it is possible depending on what type of interview it is. if you're being interviewed to be an applebees waitress, wearing a full black suit may look silly when the interviewer is just wearing the applebees uniform.

^ That is soooo true!

People say a suit is always "safe," but recently I had a girl come in to interview wearing a black suit (with a skirt no less!) w/ a teal buttondown underneath, strappy heels, dangly earrings, full makeup, her hair in a chignon, her nails done. For an office or retail job, she would have looked great but this was for a very unglamourous culinary job. It kind of made me unsure of her... like I wasn't sure if she could handle the job because she looked a little prissy compared to other applicants.

I think that as long as what you are wearing is not offensive (i.e. a lot of people have negative connotations with monogram bags like LV), then overdressing is better than showing up underdressed. It shows you take the interview seriously and are willing to put forth effort towards your goals.

Be a more conservative version of yourself and remember to smile and relax! Most places hire based on who is the better "fit", not who has the best resume (and if the company does go ONLY on paper-accomplishments, well there's nothing you could have done anyways...).

I would shy away from labels and strappy shoes and dangly earrings. When in doubt, always overdress. It shows you take the interview, the interviewer, and the job seriously.

I was at a non-profit and overheard someone say that they didn't hire someone because they dressed better than them. I agree that it is all about the job. Don't overdress the people working there.

I have the same question...I'm going for an accounting internship interview but it's for a sports team. I'm thinking full suit but I don't want to look overdressed if people are wearing jerseys.

I have the same question...I'm going for an accounting internship interview but it's for a sports team. I'm thinking full suit but I don't want to look overdressed if people are wearing jerseys.

i'd do slacks and a lightweight trench coat. that way you'll look put together but not overdressed and stuffy.

You should wear a full suit. I have friends who work for the NFL and are required to wear shirt and tie every day. They are in Finance/Accounting.

I'm always a big believer of overdressing for interviews, but with reason. Don't show up in a cocktail dress and know what company you're working for. Unless it's a retail store, when in doubt always wear a jacket and slacks/formal skirt. If you feel uncomfortable because you're better dressed than everyone there, you can always take off your suit jacket or something along those lines to make the outfit more casual; if you're underdressed there's very little you can do to dress it up.

I think it's possible to overdress depending on the culture of the company. I recently interviewed at a place where people wear jeans to work. Normally I would wear a suit to an interview but I went with a more casual dress because the suit just seemed too stuffy. I ditto that people are looking for a good fit with the company culture not just skills so I think you need to adapt your dress to the particular company.