Overcharged? Over-reacting?

Hi temo - that's my Be & D Mena satchel that I'm utterly in love with.
Glad you like it!!

I can see why you're in love with it! I looked through your posts and found your photos posted of it.
Hmm. . . something else to search for! . . .

(Sorry! didn't mean to hijack your thread!)

I'm not a seller, but doesn't the seller have the right to charge whatever she wants for shipping and handling?

I buy from ebay often and always request shipping and handling fees in advance so that I am not surprised by the invoice that I receive.
No a seller CANNOT charge whatever they want. Read Ebays excessive shipping policy.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Funny though - she listed $9.50 for shipping and handling for this item, if it was shipped in US. So if you work in her $10 handling fee, well you do the math....

I do alot of buying on eBay (never sold anything) and in all of my transactions I've never been charged this much over. Its usually within $2 -$5 and I'm ok with that. Guess I need to be more specific and ask for shipping AND handling fees.

When I purchase something, I look at the price with shipping as the total cost. If the item is worth it with the total then I buy, if not I move on. If I get an overall good deal then I am happy.

When I purchase something, I look at the price with shipping as the total cost. If the item is worth it with the total then I buy, if not I move on. If I get an overall good deal then I am happy.

Good point.

I do expect to pay for handling fees but I still feel that $10 is excessive, especially considering the $10 handling fee didn't seem to apply if was shipped in the US.

IMHO you really can't complain. You didn't have a problem when you paid for it....
As a seller that is a little excessive...she probably really overestimated becuse you are in canada (I've done this myself)....but when I do it I refund the buyer the difference!!!
My handling fees are sometimes 0 - 5$ depending on how badly I estimate LOL

IMO (and I am a seller), a ten dollar profit on shipping a pair of jeans is highway robbery. The price that you won them at is irrelevant. If she didn't want to sell them for ten dollars she should have increased her starting price or had a reserve.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts. For now, I'll just suck it up & let it go but will tell her nicely that I feel like I was over charged and simply point out the discrepancy with shipping & handling rate for US.

Have a good weekend everyone!!!

Good point.

I do expect to pay for handling fees but I still feel that $10 is excessive, especially considering the $10 handling fee didn't seem to apply if was shipped in the US.

I would simply present this question to the seller...you have a valid point.

I am a Power Seller on ebay, been selling for years, I don't charge a handling fee. I ship priority and just charge a flat rate. Personally I refund any handling over $2 and there are a lot who do, but there is always one.

You could always ding her stars for shipping cost.

You were totally ripped off and over charging for shipping is not allowed on Ebay. I would honestly report her. Or you could just leave it be and make sure to never buy from her again. When you give her feedback, on the rating system they have shipping charges...rate her a 1.

i always look at the overall cost (auction bid price and shipping) when I am bidding and if I am happy, place a bid at the amount I am prepared to go to. Sometimes when the item arrives, shipping has been overcharged but I figure that I was happy with the overall so who cares!

I usually factor in the shipping charges. The only time I get mad is when the shipping itself was super slow on top of excessive charges.
Once it took me a month to get something. The shipping charge was $12. It was (illegally) sent through a media mail for $2. That made me mad but I didn't want anything to do with the seller anymore (no response to any of my questions once the auction ended) so I let it go.

I'd probably be so happy winning it for $10 when it retails for $160, that I'll forget about the S/H, esp if the seller has already confirmed the s/h BEFORE I bidded. Can't complain about it if I knowingly bid, right?