Overcharged on shipping (again!)

^ Agree, that stuff really does add up. I never ship in old boxes, and the free boxes are never big enough for me since I like to but lots of stuffing in my bags and bubble wrap them.

It's the bad sellers who overcharge and use pathetic shipping supplies that anger me.

I stop looking for stuffs on Ebay since the shipping cost really annoyed me. I won 2 skirts from the same seller then she charged me 20 usd though I knew that it cost only 10. Next time, I bid 2 shirts without asking for the shipping cost in advance and then gosh, she asked me 40 usd. I was shocked then I told her that I never buy anything from her again.

There is a way to charge exactly what shipping and insurance will cost, regardless of what the item sells for, and still cover handling costs, packaging, etc. We use eBays Shipping Calculator on all our items. If a Buyer is signed in, the Shipping Calculator shows, prior to bidding, the cost of shipping for each method offered by the Seller, plus insurance at a particualr price, based on the Buyer's zip code or country. When setting it up the Seller enters the weight of the item and a flat-rate "handling charge" (which is not shown to the Buyer and is intended to cover the cost of packaging, signature confirmation, supplies, travel, time, whatever.) This way the Buyer knows what the cost will be and the Seller doesn't lose money on the shipping.

For an occasional Seller it may not be a big deal to drive to the post office, find an old box, etc., but once you start selling regularly those things add up; either the Buyer is going to pay for them or the Seller is going to pay for them, but someone, for SURE, is paying for them =)

Big fat Ditto!

And for me, going to the post office is a HUGE pain the ass. I live on a military base with shotty PO hours 10-3 !!. Nearest PO is 20min away. And I wont let my mailman pick things up. He smokes and all our packages we receive reak of smoke.

This is what I do for shipping when im the seller:

*I include insurance in my shipping cost.
*I use flat rate boxes, so that I make sure there is enough postage then I add about $2 (to cover handdling).
*I dont print the shipping amount on the label (yes, that is an option when you ship via PayPal)

When Im the buyer:

*I always look at the seller's shipping costs, insurance available, etc.
*If I think the shipping cost is waaaay too much. I pass.
*If they say "shipping insurance not available" I ALWAYS ALWAYS email them asking if they would add it and I will pay for it!

^ Agree, that stuff really does add up. I never ship in old boxes, and the free boxes are never big enough for me since I like to put lots of stuffing in my bags and bubble wrap them. It's the bad sellers who overcharge and use pathetic shipping supplies that anger me.

Agree, that is really what it amounts to, professional versus amateur, and whether shipping is APPROPRIATE (as opposed to cheap.) Personally, I don't want to buy a bag for, say, $600.00 and have it arrive stuffed in a free Priority Mail flat rate box, with no padding, no insurance, etc. (One leather bag, years ago, arrived rolled up in a tube, I swear!) By the same token, don't charge me $5.00 and then send the perfume in a manila envelope, 1st Class Mail (now THERE'S an oxymoron for you =) for $.85 and have it arrive broken and smelling up the neighborhood.

We always factor the stated shipping cost into our purchase decisions. On our website we offer free shipping in the U.S. (and factor it into our selling price) because we know internet buyers love free shipping. But, again, someone is paying for it.

Our bigger gripe is eBay sellers (and buyers, for that matter) who seem to think emails cost them something . . . . very little or no communication, uninformative ultra-brief replies, etc. Geez guys. . . .they don't charge by the word! =)

I can understand adding a dollar or two for packaging supplies, but some people charge $10 or more in addition to the costs! That is just robbery! Next time before bidding, make sure you know what the cost will be and if it seems high, contact the seller and see if they can make other arrangements. I did that before, and lowered it to a "ground" shipping cost and they were very nice about it. If they are jerks, you may not want to purchase from them if they don't have a valid reason for charging such a high price.

was the shipping cost clearly stated in the auction? if so, then thats when you should have asked about it. if not, then I would have asked before I bid. shipping costs don't just mean what it cost to mail something, "handling" is figured into it too (ie;, shipping supplies, storage space, trips to the post office, etc.) Always ask these kinds of questions in the future if you are not clear about it to avoid this kind of stress. I learned the hard way too....

I can understand adding a dollar or two for packaging supplies, but some people charge $10 or more in addition to the costs! That is just robbery! Next time before bidding, make sure you know what the cost will be and if it seems high, contact the seller and see if they can make other arrangements. I did that before, and lowered it to a "ground" shipping cost and they were very nice about it. If they are jerks, you may not want to purchase from them if they don't have a valid reason for charging such a high price.

A proper box alone can cost over $5.00 plus tax (unless you really want your new bag stuffed into a flat rate box?) plus tissue paper and padding, tape, transportation (gas, etc. --- what if it's a bus ride?) and, of course, the seller's time (what if they have to pay someone to go to and from the post office? What if they have to pay someone to properly package the bag?) A dollar or two? What if it's an international shipment and the seller has to stand in line for, let's say, 30 minutes?

I once paid shipping $50 for $0.99 item!LOL
i dont care though, since it's a good deal, $51 for a brand new good photo printer, who cares?
i guess the seller just dont want to pay a lot for ebay fees..I can realte.hehehe...so i dont really care..
i mean, i just add up the shipping cost with the auction price and see if it's still a good deal or not. If it bugs me, then i dont bid..

yeah can you imagine?
"Genuine Hermes" - Buy It Now for 99 cents.
Shipping/Handling - $10,000!

Ummmm.....I know you're kidding, but even the that .99 with 50.00 shipping is 100% against listing policy just because ebay makes no fees on shipping! Your ads would be pulled in a heartbeat! I understand that it was a good deal for 50.99, but in my mind if they're screwing around with policy, what else are they violating in business?

I've been charged shipping (Global Express Mail by USPS) that came up to $95 but when I received my package, the postage label is only about $30. I emailed the seller, he said the rest is handling and packaging fees!:rant: The seller stated in his auction that all shipping cost will only be calculated after auction has ended, so there was no way I could find out what the cost would be before hand even though I did email him asking for total shipping cost. He never replied until I've won the auction. Needless to say, I never purchase from that person again:mad: And I think I did not leave him any feedback either. That was years ago btw. Still suck:yucky: