Over rotated Eyelids from Surgery

Nycgal3

Jun 21, 2020
I feel like I’m the only one who has this issue. It’s so unbelievably frustrating and upsetting.
My eyelids are so over rotated. You can see so much of the white part of my eyelid. Has anyone gotten this same issue from Asian double eyelid surgery?EBEC203B-D0D7-4AAF-B339-45D493C5F4B5.png

BD266EC8-24A2-418F-8373-9BBA07275979.png

Hi @Nycgal3 - Have you considered getting a revision surgery to help with the eversion? Was too much skin removed? What did the original surgeon have to say about it?
Hey there! I actually spoke to an oculoplastic surgeon and she said she wouldn’t touch it because it might make it worse and also, in person I guess it doesn’t look nearly as bad as it does in pics because a lot of people don’t notice it but it sticks out so much to me and I’m so sick of putting makeup over it.
I didn’t speak to my original PS because he’s a terrible person.

Reactions: Bushmuq
Hey there! I actually spoke to an oculoplastic surgeon and she said she wouldn’t touch it because it might make it worse and also, in person I guess it doesn’t look nearly as bad as it does in pics because a lot of people don’t notice it but it sticks out so much to me and I’m so sick of putting makeup over it.
I am in the same issue. this is called eyelid retraction very hard to fix. Please keep me updated if you find someone to fix it.

Wow, that looks painful. Never seen it before. You could try consulting with : Dr. Shin - Shinseung, Dr. Chung - Eve Plastic Surgery and Dr. Seo - Dot Plastic surgery for recommendations. They specialize in eye surgeries and may be able to help you. Korean surgeons are better than US doctors Imo and have more experience coz they operate daily.

Wow, that looks painful. Never seen it before. You could try consulting with : Dr. Shin - Shinseung, Dr. Chung - Eve Plastic Surgery and Dr. Seo - Dot Plastic surgery for recommendations. They specialize in eye surgeries and may be able to help you. Korean surgeons are better than US doctors Imo and have more experience coz they operate daily.
What is your opinion about Dr. Cha Jeong Ho in Mina plastic surgery?

Hi there, nycgal3. I signed in for the first time in years just for this - ha. So, I believe, as you said, you have over rotated eyelid margin, not eyelid retraction, e.g. like in Grave's Disease. Yes, this is hard to treat, even more so than triple fold and sausage looks, loss of fold, etc. Let me ask you this - is this your first eyelid surgery? Are your eyes dry or irritated feeling? When did you get your last surgery? At this point, your best course of action may just be to wait. I was in your boat in January 2018. Another surgeon offered to fix, but said 50/50 and she strongly advised against it. Same with another - he wouldn't even touch it. Good news is flash forward 3 years, and it has improved about 50% on its own. I would NOT get a mucous membrane like that tattooed; you're just asking for trouble. Not even sure they can/will do it (I mean, you'll find someone to do anything, doesn't make it right). The surgeon who said they'd operate said to wait a solid 5 years. I can see why now. I assume you're in NYC from your title, but if you're interested in flying, I would recommend Dr Chase Lay, Dr Kenneth Steinsapir, Dr Amaya Prasad. There's also a Youtube video online for JJ Clinic where he talks about fixing this. My surgeon's plan of attack was to use skin graft (I want to say Alloderm) to support the skin/tissue as it's often the result of too much removal and/or scarring and/or the skin being pulled too tight. Like anything in life, easier to remove excess than to add what's been removed.

If it's any consolation, your eyes do look very big and pretty; when I first saw your pics, I thought that was the double fold/lid/skin. No one notices this but you. The big Roman, hooked nose? Yep, people notice. Receding hairline? They notice that, too. They won't notice this. Also, approach carefully...I was happy the eye doctors I saw (not the ones mentioned above) didn't want to touch it. THey could've been overly cocky (as some docs are) and taken my money and I would have been in even deeper crud.

Also, if this is any consolation, doesn't mean your doc was bad. I'd say there's a solid 15% "complication" rate with Asian eyelid surgery - so many types of Asian eyelids, high rate of asymmetry present at birth, personal preferences (look at Dr Don Yoo's Insta for instance - those folks want to look flat-out Caucasian). Even many Asian doctors with whom I spoke said they'd rather operate on Caucasian eyelids all day, ha. Also, don't buy into this Korea vs US hype - plenty of issues in both place, plus a dose of luck and personal preference. I've had surgery in both locations.

My best to you; you look young, and you do, again, look very pretty in the photo

Hi there, nycgal3. I signed in for the first time in years just for this - ha. So, I believe, as you said, you have over rotated eyelid margin, not eyelid retraction, e.g. like in Grave's Disease. Yes, this is hard to treat, even more so than triple fold and sausage looks, loss of fold, etc. Let me ask you this - is this your first eyelid surgery? Are your eyes dry or irritated feeling? When did you get your last surgery? At this point, your best course of action may just be to wait. I was in your boat in January 2018. Another surgeon offered to fix, but said 50/50 and she strongly advised against it. Same with another - he wouldn't even touch it. Good news is flash forward 3 years, and it has improved about 50% on its own. I would NOT get a mucous membrane like that tattooed; you're just asking for trouble. Not even sure they can/will do it (I mean, you'll find someone to do anything, doesn't make it right). The surgeon who said they'd operate said to wait a solid 5 years. I can see why now. I assume you're in NYC from your title, but if you're interested in flying, I would recommend Dr Chase Lay, Dr Kenneth Steinsapir, Dr Amaya Prasad. There's also a Youtube video online for JJ Clinic where he talks about fixing this. My surgeon's plan of attack was to use skin graft (I want to say Alloderm) to support the skin/tissue as it's often the result of too much removal and/or scarring and/or the skin being pulled too tight. Like anything in life, easier to remove excess than to add what's been removed.

If it's any consolation, your eyes do look very big and pretty; when I first saw your pics, I thought that was the double fold/lid/skin. No one notices this but you. The big Roman, hooked nose? Yep, people notice. Receding hairline? They notice that, too. They won't notice this. Also, approach carefully...I was happy the eye doctors I saw (not the ones mentioned above) didn't want to touch it. THey could've been overly cocky (as some docs are) and taken my money and I would have been in even deeper crud.

Also, if this is any consolation, doesn't mean your doc was bad. I'd say there's a solid 15% "complication" rate with Asian eyelid surgery - so many types of Asian eyelids, high rate of asymmetry present at birth, personal preferences (look at Dr Don Yoo's Insta for instance - those folks want to look flat-out Caucasian). Even many Asian doctors with whom I spoke said they'd rather operate on Caucasian eyelids all day, ha. Also, don't buy into this Korea vs US hype - plenty of issues in both place, plus a dose of luck and personal preference. I've had surgery in both locations.

My best to you; you look young, and you do, again, look very pretty in the photo
You mentioned you had experience in Korea too. So who is good in Korea?

Thank you!