Over enthusiastic bidder+rare item. In over my head????WWYD??

spaceyjacy

fashion ruckus
O.G.
Dec 4, 2007
So I will try to keep this story as concise as possible:

1. I go through some storage containers I haven't opened in years and find a pair of very sought after hard to find unique boots from a cult brand in a VERY common size. The boots were from the very first season said brand made them. The boots are no longer in production and now even more hard to find.

2. I will never wear the boots so I list them on ebay.

3. I have a RUSH of interest in the boots, lots of bids on the first day now I have 30+ watchers. People still asking Q's, or even just contacting me to chat about the boots:wtf:.

4. I get a PHONE CALL(let voice mail pick up the unknown #) from the very first bidder asking if I will end the auction for him because he wants to get the boots for gis girlfriend's B-day. (BTW this bidder has private feedback but score is 100%:s)

5. I email him and explain that there are a lot of other people interested in the auction.

6. He still wants me to end the auction and set up a new private auction with a BIN.

WTH should I do? I feel totally torn, there are a lot of people watching and I feel like its not fair to them (not to mention the folks who have already bid!!!!!) to just pull the auction. This is all compounded by the fact that I have no earthly idea how much the boots might go for so even if I decided to take the $$ and run I don't even know how much I should ask for.:confused1:

Any advice?

TIA:heart:

Last edited:
Nawwwwww.... I'd keep the auction running. I bet you'll get a ton more than what this buyer is offering.

I get queasy thinking about private feedback. Plus, I think technically it's against eBay rules to set up a "private" auction meant for one person only.

Hmm... what is he willing to pay?
Also, there used to actually be a private auction but no longer. You could set up a new auction with a RIDICULOUSLY high BIN and then have this buyer offer what you guys agree on and you could accept it.

Hmm... what is he willing to pay?
Also, there used to actually be a private auction but no longer. You could set up a new auction with a RIDICULOUSLY high BIN and then have this buyer offer what you guys agree on and you could accept it.

He won't make an offer! He just keeps saying "name your price and we'll see if it works out."

Oy!

^^ naw, it doesn't sound like he wants them that bad. I personally, would not end the auction unless he offered you a ridiculous amount of $$ and already paid.

That's weird. Has he ever bought from you before? Maybe he saved your info.
Just tell him to participate in the bidding, and that it's against ebay's rules to set up a private auction. But you could add a high BIN to the auction and see if someone bites.

Deff let it go through the bidding. This guy knows that you have some sought after boots, so he is trying to distract you from the other peoples bids to offer you lower then what they're really worth. If you let the auction go, that will show you the true worth of your boots, just do to the fact you already have so much interest.