Outside of eBay transaction

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I understand that it is a buyer's insecurity to do an outside of eBay transaction. What is the pitfall to a seller for such a transaction?

I couldn't find a thread relating to this subject. If its a repeat, please point me in that direction.

Thank you for your help.

2. Both the buyer and the seller have NO protection through ebay if the transaction is done outside of there. Buyers can do charge backs through paypal if you don't provide proper tracking information, so you are out the money and your item!

3. I'm not a seller, but I agree with dell. Don't do it, it's not worth it.

4. I disagree - Conducting transactions outside of ebay when the seller is trustworthy and honest and the buyer has sufficient feedback to indicate a pattern of integrity is no different than buying from any other online retailer. Sure, a retailer may have the resources to cover a loss better than an individual but with the rising ebay fees, I am happy to accept "offers" at a price that cuts out the ebay fees and have yet to encounter the first problem.

5. #5 Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
    Of course it's ultimately a transaction between two partners brought together online via eBay, and that is something two people can judge safe or not (but not everyone is a good judge of this). But there's no getting away from these facts:

A. You're violating Ebay rules. If discovered, you can get booted.

B. This sort of sale provides no buyer protection from Paypal.

The buyer takes on significant financial risk, in case the item is not as described or the seller is purely a scammer who goes off without sending anything. These are reasons enough for buyers to be cautious.

For sellers, the risk seems to me mainly an inability to have a third party intervene (Paypal or Ebay) in case of a bad transaction.

6. i agree with mydogsfriend, there are many of us who have bought/sold without the "greatness" of ebay over the years, just do your research and go with your instincts.

7. Sure people can buy stuff on craigslist and hope that the other buyer/seller is trustworthy but you don't know if they are and e bay, despite how much so many here hate it, does provide protection for both parties involved in the transaction.

8. I am not in favor of doing any transaction outside of ebay and without the protection

of paypal as well. There are too many scammers out there and they look for an

opportunity . So if you don't get started with this, you won't be vulnerable.