Outgrowing (formerly) favourite brands - has it happened to you?

lvpiggy

feels like pigsomnia
O.G.
Jan 24, 2008
lately i've been thinking about all the brands that i loved at different points in time, only to outgrow them a few years later:

• Apparel: BCBG, Armani Exchange, Club Monaco
  • Handbags: Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Ferragamo (still use Ferragamo for travel though - indestructible!)
  • Shoes: Jimmy Choo, Gucci, Dior, miu miu (actually, Dior & miu miu sort of outgrew me . . . as in, their smallest size has mysteriously grown larger than piggy's foot!)
  • Home: Crate & Barrel, West Elm, Williams-Sonoma Home
  • Department Stores: Bloomingdale's
have you outgrown some of the brands which used to be your favourites? which ones?

I can't think of any particular brand. My closet goes all across the spectrum from WalMart to Dillard's to Neiman Marcus. For me, it's not about a brand. It's about what I like regardless of the label attached.

I'm like natalie78, I don't buy an item solely on brand name. There is one brand that was my all-time favorite: Levi's 501 jeans. I loved the fit and thickness/heaviness of the demin. Since kids, my body has "outgrown" the jeans. ;)

Last edited:
I've outgrown:

Bags: Gucci, Chloé => prefer Chanel, Balenciaga and Hermès now
Shoes: Gucci, Prada => CL all the way!
Makeup & perfume: Dior => prefer MAC (for makeup) and Chanel (for perfume) now

I usually buy based on what I love versus brands however there are some that I definitely don't love as much as I used to (looks like we have a few of the same ones, lvpiggy):

Apparel: BCBG, Armani Exchange, bebe
Handbags: Gucci, Coach
Home: Williams-Sonoma Home, Pottery Barn

apparel - old navy and gap...just moved onto better brands
handbags - coach and dooney & bourke, both seem to childish for me to carry anymore
shoes - has been flip flops for years and still is flip flops
home - has always been pier one still is pier one
department stores - has always been macys still is, if we ever get anything better than that around here than my favorite will be whatever store that is

Yeah I grew up in the late 90's and early 2000's and most of the brands I wore then I don't wear anymore. Like Armani exchange, gap, guess ( I still shop there occasionally)
No more Juicy,or guess for purses anymore either.
I think mostly it's just part of growing up and getting more adult tastes and fashion changing.
I think I will always like LV though.

apparel - levis, gap, bebe
handbags - coach, kate spade
shoes - sneakers as everyday shoes, I enjoy pairing cute shoes with outfits now.
home - I'll still go to whomever has the best prices.
department stores - Macys, Mervyns (Although I'll still hit up Macy's for makeup)

Roxy, Forever 21, Express, etc... I got tired of clothes that fell apart on me and didn't fit right. Nothing wrong with those places, just my personal expectations of what clothes should do changed.

Roxy, Forever 21, Express, etc... I got tired of clothes that fell apart on me and didn't fit right. Nothing wrong with those places, just my personal expectations of what clothes should do changed.

Unfortunately,I'm getting the same way. Express has held up for me. As for forever21 not so much. I think I'm realizing that I need to let the junior department go. Although they still have my size (somewhat thing tend to be cut short) I have out grown some of the styles and quality. Sadly, my wallets maturity has reached my style maturity.