Outgrowing Brand names

moni moni

Jun 5, 2007
There are a few brands that I used to wear that I just do not feel comfortable wearing anymore. Is because of age or taste? Any other explanations? Does anyone have any that they would like to mention.

For example, I used to wear Esprit a lot when I was younger. I feel that I am too old to wear it anymore. At the same time, I cannot really afford Marc Jacobs. I think I am stuck. :crybaby:

I used to wear Juicy, Ed Hardy, 2B Free and a load of other and I wouldn't wear any of them anymore. I think my taste has evolved past them and I do't want to be a walking billboard for any brand

i used to be a benetton and marco polo girl (in my teens that is) and then I sort of got into a bit upmarket 'cheap' brands, and then the obvious TS spell when I was a student.

now I mix middle range brands like Strenesse, Boss, Marccain, with stuff from Michael Kors, Celine etc. I still go to Zara, Mango and H&M for some stuff (honestly, just found that I still like these for 'fashionable' items).

for the brand things: I go to outlets and I buy on ebay. like you, i can't afford a lot of the brands but because of the dangers of fakes on ebay, I wouldn't go for MJ for example. luckily, my style is rather those that aren't faked to the same extent, yet.

In high school I liked the shirts from Abercrombie and Hollister. But I've since then sold them all off. I don't really like names on my shirts anymore, but I DO love the Joomi Joolz ones and the Junk Food ones with the cute old fashioned soda and cereal labels on them.

I used to love Esprit and Guess when I was in junior high. I didn't pay much attention to labels in high school because I couldn't afford what the other gals were wearing (I bought my own clothes with my allowance). I still don't look at labels much (other than handbags!) now in my early 30's. I think I'm more of a Banana Republic (sometimes Forever 21 and Target) type of dresser.:smile:

When I was a pre-teen and teen, I was into big loud logos on my shirts. I shudder to think of that now. Now, I prefer understated clothing or something with a print rather than a blatant advertisement for some designer.

I used to be really into AE, AF, Hollister and all that....definitely not anymore. Maybe a few logo-less pieces here and there but I rarely stop in there anymore when I'm at the mall.

When I was in college, it was mostly A&F and AE, but now, I haven't shopped at either one in years...even or basics which is what I used to do.

I think it is normal to "grow out of" specific brands. After a while you just feel awkward being a walking billboard. Now I don't have anything with any sort of label visible on it--now how I used to dress!

I agree it's normal for your tastes to change.

I think there are two reason why I grew out of previous brands: first they were too young, second they were too cheap.

I've noticed as I get older and have found my sense of style, I have changed to less tarty/teeny bopper dressing. I used to wear the low rise jeans, tiny tops, etc. Now I prefer to be a little more covered.

I also can't stand the quality of my former clothes (like all the polyester/spandex stuff I used to buy). I think that comes from age and money. I have more money to spend now than when I was a teenager. I also value quality more and hate having disposible clothes now. I want to dress chic but could really care less if I am wearing the "it" labels. I want stuff that fits flawlessly and flatters my body. When I was younger I wanted to be more trendy.

I used to buy a lot from Guess and Abercrombie when I was younger. Looking back, I've also found that I valued a designer name more than anything. For example, I bought a Just Cavalli shirt entirely because I had finally saved up enough money to afford it and gave no consideration to the style.

Now, I'm more interested in bargain hunting, whether that means vintage boutiques, thrift stores, designer sales, or ebay. I've generally become interested in a more mature style.

Obviously, people go through countless "phases" of fashion, music, friends, whatever. It just takes you a while to find the interests that fit you best.

I also used to shop at A&F, Hollister, AE and Hot Topic when I was in college. The other day I walked into A&F, and walked right out. That's when I knew I had outgrown tees with silly sayings on them and anything that has the name of the brand and some strange 1800s year plastered all over it.

Yeah, I used to wear a lot of Australian labels: Alannah Hill, Easton Pearson and Trelise Cooper and always lusted after Akira Isogawa clothes, but now I find my style is alot simpler and more streamlined. So, while I do still admire those sorts of clothes, I just do not wear them.

They are more like artworks!