Outfits for Rome...

Oct 14, 2006
I am going to Rome on Monday but I need some help with what to wear! Can anyone tell me what the usual 'look' is here? Here is what I am planning to take:
Indigo skinny jeans
Black bootcut trousers
Light brown leather slouchy bag
Dark brown Balenciaga bag (maybe)
Lightish brown mac with belt
Various ballet flats but they are all really casual
Patent black platform sandals
Ugg boots (not sure)
Various tshirts
I just don't know whether I should go for a casual or 'groomed' look. Please suggest how I can put these clothes together to look chic and so that I dont stick out too much. Feel free to suggest other clothes not on the list!

I noticed women in Rome (or Italy, for that matter) tend to wear a lot of block colors -i.e. all white or all black or all red. I think if you're wearing a beige mac over your clothes, I think the brown Balenciaga is the best bag to carry. Hope that helped!

People in Rome are hyper trendy. Some will wear a lot of logos, some wear conservative but fitted clothes ("European cut"). It's not super easy to walk around as the ground is not that smooth and even, as compared to in the US. So flats are great for that. (Though natives can traverse in heels.) There is a lot of mixing and matching: casual t shirts, designer (often logo-ed) jeans, lux accessories. Think Dolce & Gabbana or D&G. They seem to inspire a lot of the locals.

Therefore, you can be over-the-top or "casual" -- you can get away with everything and anything -- but to not look like a tourist, you have to focus on the fit of your clothes. I think you'll be fine. It's such an international city, so there is a whole range of different looks and different aesthetic appeals.

I, personally, am not a fan of Uggs ... so I won't comment on that.

I'm going to spend some time in Italy next year. I'm wearing clothes a la 1970s Yves Saint Laurent: big floppy wool hat, high high heels and wedges, everything fitted, a large belt. Or ladylike in Prada. And always in heels.