Outfit help: How to make flats work for work?

mrsDIY88

Jul 6, 2007
I lurve my heels. especially for work.

But due to a bad back, i have to learn to wear flats for work. i've tried this on casual fridays, but i feel so FRUMPY in flats!

my office is quite a formal place - smart casual and suits are quite common. my usual work standby is a nice top with a pencil skirt. i just can't figure how to wear a pencil skirt with flats!

how do you make flats work for work? all tips needed. if you've cracked this puzzle, pls post pics!

thanks!

Hmm, I don't know if flats would work with a pencil skirt, what about A-line? Or better yet, a slim pair of work pants?

What else do you have in your wardrobe?

i'd think any non-pencil skirt would look cute w/flats, but then again there are different kinds of flats that can do different looks - those cushy ballet flats are more casual, there are pointy toe stiffer flats that look dressier, there are mocs/drivers/loafers which i don't think work with skirts at all....

you can also try flats w/different shift or day dresses...

thanks for the tips. i'll try flats with trousers, although a problem is that my work trousers are all hemmed to be worn with my heels. (so sue me, i'm a heels addict)

hmmmm.. haven't tried non-pencil skirts with flats before. will go work out some outfits.

still can't get past the "i feel so short in flats in the office" syndrome

i think it all depends on the length of the pencil skirt, a pretty pair of flats could really be stylish even with it!
of course, pants look great with flats, i wear em all the time at work (can't wear heels, i work on my feet all day!)

I have no advice for flats with pencil skirts; I teach at a University, so my work attire is mostly dressy pants (which makes me the best-dressed person in the department; sad, I know). However, I do love flats and kitten heels with pants. The key is a good pair, that don't look frumpy. I have a pair of black open-toe flats with a buckle on the front (Vera Wang, for Kohls) that look good with everything. It took me 3 years to find the perfect flat for me (and an extremely open-mind to shop at Kohls), so my best advice is to start looking and look EVERYwhere! If you're like me, you have at least one pair of pants that you wear twice, maybe even three times a week - wear those when you go shoe shopping and if your pants are too long, buy a needle and a thread that matches your pants, and do a loose stitch around the bottom (1/2 to 1 inch), folding the seam inwards by about two inches or so, depending on what you need. It'll hold until your back heals and if it doesn't happen soon, then it only takes five minutes to reseam, though it should hold up to a few washes. Simply cut the knot when you need to let it out, and if you used a small needle, no damage will occur. Let me know if you need clearer instructions (I have a bad back, too).

I think I'm the odd bird out but I just love flats with a pencil skirt. If you want to feel less frumpy get an interesting pair with embellishments or something. I think it looks very cute/proper, not at all frumpy.

I can't get any pictures to show but I really love the Ferragamo varina ballet flats for work, they're cute and have an updated look to the classic shoes. I have a pair in black patent and am trying to decide on a second color. In general for work I wear more structured flats, so usually not Tory Burch flats. Another good look is the Fendi B flats, in my opinion. I also like to sometimes at a splash of color or maybe a leopard print for fun. Hope this helps. Oh and Soffia Copola wears lots of cute flats/skirts combos so maybe you could check her out?

I have no advice for flats with pencil skirts; I teach at a University, so my work attire is mostly dressy pants (which makes me the best-dressed person in the department; sad, I know). However, I do love flats and kitten heels with pants. The key is a good pair, that don't look frumpy. I have a pair of black open-toe flats with a buckle on the front (Vera Wang, for Kohls) that look good with everything. It took me 3 years to find the perfect flat for me (and an extremely open-mind to shop at Kohls), so my best advice is to start looking and look EVERYwhere! If you're like me, you have at least one pair of pants that you wear twice, maybe even three times a week - wear those when you go shoe shopping and if your pants are too long, buy a needle and a thread that matches your pants, and do a loose stitch around the bottom (1/2 to 1 inch), folding the seam inwards by about two inches or so, depending on what you need. It'll hold until your back heals and if it doesn't happen soon, then it only takes five minutes to reseam, though it should hold up to a few washes. Simply cut the knot when you need to let it out, and if you used a small needle, no damage will occur. Let me know if you need clearer instructions (I have a bad back, too).

I agree with jenny, if the flats are nice and polished (patent or structured or nice buckle etc) they won't look frumpy and can probably work with the pencil skirt.

thanks everyone, i think i need new trousers!

ms fashionista
: pointy toes! (*slap hand on own forehead*) you're right, the pointy toes should help. thanks

i went to roger vivier and pondered on their flats - very structured, patent and with that square silver buckle, sufficiently polished, but the shoe didn't work on my feet.

i'm glad i started this thread. we're always talking about heels, so it's nice to think about flats.