Outdoor/wilderness beauty survival tips?!

Couturegrl

Addicted to Tiffany's
O.G.
Apr 24, 2006
I am going to be going to the dunes in CA for our traditional New Year's Eve trip...tons of sand, quads, sand rails, etc, etc...

I would LOVE to get any tips/tricks to 'roughing it' beauty-wise in the great outdoors! LOL

I always bring baby wipes and tons of Chapstick, but does anyone have any other advice on what to bring or what to do to stay looking presentable?!

TIA!!:heart:

bring along a tinted moisturizer with spf (laura mercier has a fantastic one....very light but covers most imperfections). also a cheek stain that also works as a lip stain (check out the ones from tarte). maybe even an eyelash tint if you feel like it (neutrogena makes a good one that doesn't flake at all and comes right off)

your hair will be dirty so use that to your advantage....you'll have amazing texture. bring baby powder to sprinkle on the roots to get rid of greasies and mask the smell (just work your hands through your hair until you can't see the powder anymore), lots of bobby pins and a few pony ties or barrettes. dirty hair is the best for making those twisty updos that are super easy but look great. you mentioned baby wipes (which are essential for staying clean) but also bring a good leave in conditioner with SPF and a body cream to keep yourself moisturized (and smelling great). if you'll be bathing in natural water sources, make sure your soap is biodegradable (try dr. bonner....i like the lavender or the honey ones).

i don't rough it outdoors very often.....but i'm lazy and this is how i rough it suburban style. it sounds gross, but sometimes i only shower twice a week. that's all that europeans do, and when i visited in highschool i realized it didn't bother me much....so i kept doing it. as long as you take your make up off, stay moisturized, etc. you'll be great!

i take one of those hanging showers that warm in the sun all day. i have to have clean hair, can't go a day without washing it, so if there is noplace to shower...i take one of those along.

get the boots cleaning beauty wipes - they work wonders at removing makeup (w/o residue). otherwise use light makeup like a tinted moisturizer, cheek stain, cream eyeshadow, mascara, and lipgloss.

Wow! Tpf has some glamorous campers! I usually bring tinted moisturizer w/spf, vaseline for my lips and lashes and a baseball for my hat. I'm one of those dirty girls that doesn't shower the whole weekend when I camp :lol:

Tinted moistuizer with sunscreen...apply more than once during the day.
Unscented baby wipes and make-up removal wipes.
Some Purell sanitizer and some Neosporin cream (not the petroleum ointment)
Combo lip and cheek stain.
Oscar Blandi dry shampoo.

I have worked as a summer camp counslor every summer for the last 5 years and I definitly agree with everyone in the tinted moisturizer with SPF. And I'd even bring along some more SPF in an oil free formula so you can keep applying it without always having to add tint. Along with some type of lip/cheek stain (Benefit Benetint is my absolute favorite), and a type of waterproof mascara (I can't live without mascara). Carry a lot of extra chapstick too. And those no water makeup wipes work pretty well too.

For your hair, I've always found that dry baby powder works the best on greasy hair, and that having a ton of headbands, ponytail holders, and bobby pins around helps. And braiding your hair (if it's long enough) can really help keep it out of your face as well as looking good.

But you might want to try unscented things to take with you too. Like moisturizer, ect. I don't know exactly how it is in California, but bugs tend to be attracted to any type of scent, even something as small as your deoderant. So it might be something to think about.

Oh, and one last little thing, you might invest in some type of sunscreen that you can put on your hair and scalp. Because have your scalp get sunburned hurts like heck and is not fun to deal with as it heals!

Thanks again for all the tips!

SO just called with a surprise that we are going to the dunes this weekend, so all of these tips are going to come in really handy!!