Our neighbour hits his wife everyday!!!

:sad: I agree with the previous posters. Even if she hates you for it now, she may not in the future when she is out of the situation. Some kind of intervention is needed and if their friends & family aren't doing it then let the police handle it. Obviously the situation isn't getting better (since you know his brutal schedule) so put action to her cries for help and call the police EVERYTIME you hear her. There may not be another sunday.

Call the police. Think of it this way- would you rather have her alive and hating you, or dead? I read awful stories in the news every day about abusive husbands/boyfriends that end up murdering their wives and children. It has to stop. If my DH were hitting me (god forbid), I would want some help.

:yes: If you don't take action, who will?

"Be the change you want to see in the world" :flowers:

Oprah did a show about this a month or two back and it turned out the lady who was being beaten boss was making notes of when she appeared at work "hurt' or late or some other excuse that didn't add up. Well in any event, that documentation by her boss added to the prosecutions defense because they had a third party making note of when these beatings occured. Anyways you should call the cops at a minimum.

I would call the cops, too, but I'd still be shocked that there are women in this day and age who LET their partners beat up on them. Hell, maybe if she'd bash his head in with a frying pan one night in his sleep, if he survived, he'd keep his mitts of of her then!

Okay, truthfully, I'm KIND OF joking as I wouldn't hit my BF in the head with a skillet (because, you know, I'd probably go to jail too and I don't want that), but I would try to hit him back or something (only in self defense, as I'd never hit a guy or any other person unprovoked), then leave and take my kids with me so as to not perpetuate the cycle of violence. But I wouldn't stand around and let some guy beat me up time after time. Forget that.

I have a client who, last week, was locked up because her and her BF got into a domestic dispute and HE called the cops on HER. Both of them went to jail, however, and I think: what a waste. They're already quite poor, and what little money they had they had to waste on bail.

^ I agree, don't doubt yourself. Calling the police is the right thing to do. I really hope the woman and her children are going to be okay. That man is doing such terrible things.. :rant:

Call the poilce. She could end up in the hospital or dead if his abusive behavior continues. He might become abusive physically toward the kids. The kids are alread emotinally traumatized. Yes it is a risk, but by far the right thing to do is call the poilce every single time this happens!

call the police. who cares if she resents you, growing up in environments like that will stay with you the rest of your life and the sooner it ends the better

I'm thinking if the police get called out enough, perhaps he'll be jailed.
And those children ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT HAVE TO LIVE IN FEAR!
I don't blame you for moving, as a matter of fact, I bet you could break a lease legally because of this, check with a tenant's rights organization.
But back to your question, please call every single time, something needs to be done for those children (and the woman, although she may not acknowledge it)
I'm wondering if she glares because she's ashamed?

I agree with what everybody has said. And ditto the CPS comment. That is an abusive environment for the kids. In our town, there is a shelter for domestic violence victims and they provide counseling services. Maybe there is something like that in your area. You can talk with them and get some info you can give to her (or place near her door, ideally when her spouse is out.) I want to praise you for taking the action to call and to care. In our society, I think sometimes people are so into privacy that we forget our sense of community. Good for you for being concerned. I can only imagine what a difficulty situation it is for you, but it's wonderful that you care!

Here are two links that talk more about domestic violence that may help in understanding the issue

http://crisis-support.org/cycle.htm

http://www.leavingabuse.com/powerwheel.html

i say call the cops.....but i would be scared to myself!!!!
but then you just have to think about the kids, and also help this lady out!!!!
probably the whole neighborhood knows about this and they're just too scared to do anything about it.

I would call the cops, too, but I'd still be shocked that there are women in this day and age who LET their partners beat up on them. Hell, maybe if she'd bash his head in with a frying pan one night in his sleep, if he survived, he'd keep his mitts of of her then!

There are many, many women (and some men) in this situation. We do paperwork for probably thirty victims every week. And when the women fight back, they are usually the ones who end up getting arrested because a woman who "bashes his head in with a frying pan while he's asleep" is not technically acting in self-defense since he poses no threat WHILE he is asleep. Nevermind that she doesn't have a chance in hell of defending herself if he is awake and this may be her only opportunity to escape. It's amazing what people will allow themselves to survive. And often they will go back to the abuser! But when you hear stories about a little boy who was brutally beaten when he intervened for mom while dad was beating her, or a five year old who calls for help from mom's cell phone while he's hiding in the closet, I don't think you can have any question that she can't make the choice for those kids...they need your help. If this inspires mom to take steps to remove herself to a safe environment, great. If not, at least the kids might be able to get away or have someone looking in on them.