Our Hero...Bonnie Cashin!

coach toujours

wantsgraphitesabrina
Feb 17, 2009
Bonnie Cashin was a brilliant visionary. Whether people know it or not, the world will forever enjoy Bonnie's creations as they keep resurfacing time and time again, making "Cashin Carry" pieces timeless. In 1960, the entrepreneurs of Coach approached Bonnie Cashin and waited 2 years for her to clear her calendar. They were very smart to wait because Coach would not be what it is today without Bonnie. All of us here on tPf love turnlocks...that was Bonnie. Legacy stripes...that was Bonnie. Kiss locks and beautiful fun colors...that was Bonnie.

There is an online exhibit called "Chic is where you find it." Maybe some of you have seen it already, but I just stumbled upon it last week and found it very intriguing. You can check it out below:

Chic is where you find it. - UCLA Exhibit

Ok everyone, let's give it up to Bonnie because without her, we would not have our beloved Coach of today.

There are many great images to give you prospective on Bonnie's life and creations, but here are some images from the exhibit which I thought were fun - Bonnie's 'to die for' closet!

Cashin's "boutique"-style closet, featured in House and Garden, July 1969.

Attachments

• boutique1.jpg
    boutique1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 211
  • boutique2.jpg
    boutique2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 240
Thank you for this. As I long standing coach buyer I feel a bit embarrased I didn't know about Bonnie before coming to this forum. Interesting how you still see evidence of her design in coach's current designs.

In all reality Bonnie Cashin deserves to be just as recognized and respected as Coco Chanel for her vision into the future!!! Her designs are timeless...we can see that when you log onto the bay and see beat up Cashin pieces going for $200-$300 bucks if not MORE!!!

She was all about TIMELESS pieces just like Coco, she was just a little more "under the radar." Coach was brilliant to wait the 2 years for her to clear her calander, look what parts of her are still being utilized today!!!

Thank you for that posting. I love Bonnie, she's the best her visions are amazing. I love all of her work. It will be great if there was another line of Bonnie's work for Coach again.