Our Babies Escaped :(

Charles

Sucks at budgeting
O.G.
Jan 5, 2007
We live in a historic house, which means no solid foundation. We have lattice that covers the openings between the piers that the house is elevated on. Well, evidently, Penny, our bigger dog figured out how to chew/force her way through the lattice and with her, Ruby tagged along.

This happened Tuesday and they haven't been back. I've put an ad on Craigslist, we searched the neighborhood and I put up fliers yesterday. A neighbor said she saw some girls put them in her car saying she was taking them to the humane society, but I checked there today and they're not there.

Any other ideas on what I can do to find them??

Oh Charles..I am so sorry to hear about your babies.

Are there other animal shelters nearby? Did you ask the Humane Society directly about your dogs, or did you just go and check out the cages/rooms with animals? The reason I ask is, I am a volunteer at a shelter here, and we have additional "holding" rooms in the back for animals that are newly admitted or when there isn't enough room on the floor.

Also wondering if they are microchipped?

I would keep driving around the neighborhood in case they are still in the area, and do more door-to-door visits for neighbors a bit farther out. You may want to call local veterinarian offices too in the event that someone tried to bring them there instead of hte humane society.

If you do keep driving around and happen to spot them, it'd be a good idea to have familiar toys and some food with you, in case they are frightened and hesitant to come towards you.

Please keep us posted. I am praying that you find them. Your heart must be breaking.

If I think of anything else, I'll post here.

I was wondering if there's more than one shelter. Once I found a cocker and checked the local shelter (and listed in their book) to see if she was missing. I then decided to check a shelter further away and she was listed there. Not sure why they didn't choose the closer one, let alone both, but it's worth a try. Also it's only been a couple of days so they may not have taken them yet. Once my dog was recovered two weeks later.

Last edited:
Aww. CHarles.. that sucks. Keep on searching high and low, we lost our Cocker for an entire week.. to soon find out a family a couple blocks below us tried to keep her as an inside dog.. but soon found out she wasn't house trained! Are you dogs licensed with the county? That's how the family found our information.. through her license tag.

Sending many positive thoughts your way.. for a safe return!

Keep us posted!

Oh, Charles :sad: I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you find your babies! Other than calling the shelters you may call animal services in your area and see if they've caught any animals that match the description of yours.

Oh no, that's terrible. I hope you find them soon. I agree with the above posters, call any animal shelters nearby, and keep searching your neighborhood.
One more idea, do you have a local radio station that would make an announcement for you? Here we have one, and they list the missing pets' description and where they were last seen. Worth a try.

Oh no Charles, I'm so sorry. I would canvas your area in signs -- and offer a reward. did the neighbor notice what kind of and color car the girls were driving that possibly picked your dogs up? That may help.

I always keep this website handy incase my dogs escape: http://www.fidofinder.com/ . It is worth a shot. I'm so sorry :sad: I really, really hope you find your babies. (This site may help too, but they charge a fee: http://www.findtoto.com/).

Good luck and stay positive. I really hope you're able to find them.

This made my stomach hurt. I would post pictures at all the local vets, probably within about 6 miles of your house, and get a team of friends to start calling vets further away, in the event that one of them ends up at a vet. And shelters, etc, cast a wide net because dogs can travel very fast and if they are scared they will keep moving.
Please keep us updated.

They're not chipped and I just bathed them this weekend, and of course, forgot to put their harnesses back on, which had their tags on them. Ugh! Stupid!

Thanks for the ideas. I really thought we'd go to the Humane Society and they'd be there.

Hi-I am sorry you are going through this. I lost my kitty for about 6 weeks when my cousins left the front door open. I made color copies with his picture and offered a reward and put my cell phone number and home number.

I went door to door in my entire neighborhood and passed out the fliers. It worked-I got him back. A neighbor recognized him from the flyer.

Good luck and you have my prayers and good wishes for their safe return.

Cal every vet and rescue in the area. Also call the police and let them know. The most important thing you can do is put up flyers...as many as you possibly can. Print them on bright paper. You need as many people as possible helping you look. Good luck I really hope they are found soon.