Travel Other than Paris, where should I visit in Europe? I have 2 weeks.

mlbags

O.G.
Sep 21, 2006
I visited Paris in Sept last year. This year in end-March, I was thinking of visiting Italy. I am always of the opinion to visit a city/country more extensively based on the time I have, rather than trying to cover 3 or 4 countries in the same period of time, but I may be wrong. What do you think?

For 2 weeks - would you say I visit Rome, Florence, Milan, Venice?
Or would you skip some of these cities and visit, say, Barcelona, as well?

Also my travel dates would be last week March to 1st week of April, how's the Easter weekend like in Italy/Europe? Would most establishments be closed?

Please help me.
Let me hear your opinions - for 2 weeks, a holiday in Europe, where would you go (other than Paris)? What would your tips be for me, both in terms of travel and itinerary.

With 2 weeks I think you could visit all of the italian cities you mentioned and include barcelona. Barcelona is one of my favorite destinations, but Italy as a whole is probably my favorite country. If you don't want to include Barcelona in this trip, you could also save it for next time and do a trip to a bunch of Spanish cities. But, IMO, it's fast and cheap to travel between countries in Europe, so 2 weeks can go a long way. I'd also recommend Pisa, and that can easily be done in 2 days.

I agree, go to them all - 2 weeks is a great amount of time.
Must sees for me are Venice, Rome, Florence/Orvieto and Barcelona. Even Pompeii and Naples is a good day trip.

If you visit Italy, i think you should go to Vienna or Amsterdam, because it's different from Italy wherease if you visit Italy and Spain (even if it's not the same) there is less change...

Thanks so much for your feedback. Really appreciate your time.

If you visit Italy, i think you should go to Vienna or Amsterdam, because it's different from Italy wherease if you visit Italy and Spain (even if it's not the same) there is less change...

ParisInhabitant - I did think of including Vienna. Does anyone has a recommendation on the best way (flight? train? - which one) for me to get from Milan to Vienna. Or further suggestions for this route?

Thanks so much for your feedback. Really appreciate your time.

ParisInhabitant - I did think of including Vienna. Does anyone has a recommendation on the best way (flight? train? - which one) for me to get from Milan to Vienna. Or further suggestions for this route?

Flying would definitely be your best bet since Milan and Vienna aren't close at all. I would only consider a train if you were in a closer city (like no farther than Munich).

I can't vouch for Spain or Italy but I lived in Germany for a year, and have seen a lot of Western Europe. I say if you can you should visit. The scenery in Southern Germany is gorgeous and the food is delicious!

I can vouch for Amsterdam too, I've been there twice and it's a beautiful city. The people there really do speak fluent English too.

Switzerland is lovely too, I've been skiing in Interlaken and it was gorgeous.

I plan on returning to France (Southern France this time) on my next trip to Europe and hitting Italy (I've never been) but I know I'll probably find my way back to Germany somehow :smile:

I am always of the opinion to visit a city/country more extensively based on the time I have, rather than trying to cover 3 or 4 countries in the same period of time, but I may be wrong. What do you think?

This is a matter of what you like and what interests you.

I recently spent a week in Rome and found it a good amount of time, despite only going to the Colosseum, St Peter's Basilica, and the Vatican Museums (in terms of major sights). I have also sped through five small countries in two weeks. During that trip I was interested in getting a feel for the region and had no interest in tourist activities.

If you aren't sure what you want to prioritize, perhaps you can leave your itinerary open?

Yes, I agree and I can recommend Prague too. You can fly from Rome or Milano around 1,5 hour.

Programme in Prague is for min. 2 days (historical areas + Prague castle) and 1 day for luxury shopping in Pařížská street (LV, chanel,

Dior, Burberry...).

And for next two-four days You can go to area of South Bohemia: castle Hluboká, center of Hussite town Tábor, historical center and castle

Jindřichův Hradec, floating red castle Červená Lhota; Island castles Orlik and Zvíkov in largest Czech dam, between them can go to ship

trip.
Top of South Bohemia is city Český Krumlov. The whole old city Český Krumlov is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. These is breathtaking

historic site, always we were meeting with many Japanese. One of them said that nowhere in the world seen anything like it and they think

that the whole city is built as a movie scenery or touristic attraction aka Disneyland. There is interesting Egon Shiele Art center:

http://www.schieleartcentrum.cz/

All the location are on the way between Prague and Český Krumlov, it is about 200 km far. You could travel by bus, train, taxi or rent a

car (this it the best way).

South Bohemia (EN): http://www.jiznicechy.cz/en-CZ/main-page.html

I would like to answer any questions and help you with plannig a trips, if you thought about visiting the Czech Republic. (And: CZ is on

Schengen Area - no visas needs)

Prague Castle
hrad7.jpg

Prague - Petřín
55698142572739083029410.jpg

Prague Castle
prahaa.jpg

Jindrichuv Hradec
jindr9.jpg

jindrichuvhraadec.jpg

jindr11.jpg

If you're going at the end of March, you may want to take the weather into consideration. If you prefer warmer areas, Italy & Spain are going to be warmer than northern Europe. I love Amsterdam & Brussels but they can still be quite chilly in March. In Spain, I really love Barcelona and a small town in the north - San Sebastian.
I'm sure you'll have a great time anywhere you pick.

I can't vouch for Spain or Italy but I lived in Germany for a year, and have seen a lot of Western Europe. I say if you can you should visit. The scenery in Southern Germany is gorgeous and the food is delicious!

I can vouch for Amsterdam too, I've been there twice and it's a beautiful city. The people there really do speak fluent English too.

Switzerland is lovely too, I've been skiing in Interlaken and it was gorgeous.

I plan on returning to France (Southern France this time) on my next trip to Europe and hitting Italy (I've never been) but I know I'll probably find my way back to Germany somehow :smile:

I just got back from Germany, Austria and Switzerland. I agree that would be the way to go. I left my heart in Munich. I would avoid Italy at Easter. It's beautiful, but it will be insane and any things will be closed. And honestly, the German people were the friendliest, nicest people I have encountered in Europe (but I had only been to Ireland, Northern Ireland, England, and Italy so I cannot vouch for everyone - The Dutch we have met during our travels have been ridiculously nice and beautiful so that is the next place on our list - even the children were perfect!)

Austria is just the most beautiful place - I can't wait to go back in the spring/summertime. It was gorgeous in December so I cannot imagine when everything is in bloom. Two of my friends (one lives in Germany for 15 years and another married a man from Belgium) both said that Austria is the most beautiful place i Europe and they have traveled all over Europe multiple times over.

I'm actually have coffee out of my Christmas market cup from Salzburg right this second dreaming that I was back there.

What are you intending to do? A tick box exercise so you can say you've been to a large list of places or actually visit the places properly? Many of the major cities you're talking about really take a week to get a decent flavour of them and many have spent more than a week in them and still go away thinking they havent "done" half the city.

Top places for me in Europe in no particular order would be:
Barcelona
London
Edinburgh
Paris
Rome
Venice
Vienna
Prague
Amsterdam
Istanbul
Berlin