Ostrich vs alligator

Naynaykilla

Mar 5, 2020
Question for exotic owners: which leather is less work to care for and will be easier to repair if damaged. I have a young child but really love this leather option for a birkin or Kelly. Would love to get some real life experience opinions especially anyone who owns a Gris agate or terre cuite!

Exotics are more work than normal leathers. In terms of being mindful, croc items don’t like water one bit, you will need to do a quick wipe off if any accidentally gets onto your croc. Water will stain your bag. Ostrich in my experience can survive water. Mine have been through light rain and dried without any stains. I think being a matte leather ostrich absorbs oil, so they may darken faster if not cared for, especially on the handles. Matte croc handles will eventually turn shiny and darken too if not protected by twillies, but in my opinion at a slightly slower rate. Oh also, when exposed to the sun a lot, ostrich will discolor more. I have a few pink exotic H bags and accessories but have shied away from terre cuite completely because I know light colored ostriches can turn yellow over time if not cared for properly. Otherwise terre cuite is a beautiful pink choice!
With young children, I’d say no exotics. If you must choose one, then ostrich. They are hardier. I don’t think you can repair water damage on croc, neither can you restore darkened leather.

Reactions: allure244
Exotics are more work than normal leathers. In terms of being mindful, croc items don’t like water one bit, you will need to do a quick wipe off if any accidentally gets onto your croc. Water will stain your bag. Ostrich in my experience can survive water. Mine have been through light rain and dried without any stains. I think being a matte leather ostrich absorbs oil, so they may darken faster if not cared for, especially on the handles. Matte croc handles will eventually turn shiny and darken too if not protected by twillies, but in my opinion at a slightly slower rate. Oh also, when exposed to the sun a lot, ostrich will discolor more. I have a few pink exotic H bags and accessories but have shied away from terre cuite completely because I know light colored ostriches can turn yellow over time if not cared for properly. Otherwise terre cuite is a beautiful pink choice!
With young children, I’d say no exotics. If you must choose one, then ostrich. They are hardier. I don’t think you can repair water damage on croc, neither can you restore darkened leather.

Thank you! I was thinking ostrich: Gris agate and thay terre cuite is just to die for but realistically probably Gris agate would fit my lifestyle a bit more, I’m thinking a k20 cuz more than likely I wouldn’t use it around my son. He’s 3 and still at the stage where mamas things are all his things