Ostrich?! Maybe the most stupid question here!

DoubleW said:
Yes, I googled it of course and found, the ostrich... It must be made of the legs, right?
The leather made from ostrich can include the leg areas, yes - but the lovely pattern on ostrich leather is where the feathers were pulled out.

Oh, aha! I think what you're wondering is, what part of the ostrich is used? Actually that is not a silly question. I always assumed it was just the skin after plucking the feathers off? Does anyone have any knowledge about the process used?

From my research, most of the quill pores are from the back of the bird and start to decrease as the skin gets closer to the belly of the bird. It appears that the area where a leather maker would use is where the most pores are (which would be the back or the crown in this pic):

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1374653081.885347.jpg

The legs also have a distinct pattern which (to me anyway) looks nothing like the part with pores:

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1374652879.907854.jpg

I've only seen the leg leather used on wallets. Sorry I know this is not a new post. Just got an ostrich item and have been poring over any info I can find on it.

Pics credited to respective owners on the Internet