Ostrich ... Matte or Shiny?

Erm (this may or may not be a daft question, but), does this mean if I want to keep the glow on my bags I should run to a very expensive art supply store and buy a badger hair brush for my bags?

it is not a stupid question. but no doing it on the finished bag won´t help same with croc you can rub amatte one as much as you want it won´t become glossy and a normla ostrich won´t become matte

MrsS, I'm thinking black ostrich (not matte) birkin in 35 cm with PH. If you have any ideas, please let me know. I'm still mulling on it. :shame: I have a week to finalize the SO.
When I saw the lady with it, I was so spellbound by its beauty that the image of her black ostrich never left me. The subtle sheen is just fabulous. I guess shiny is really not the right word to describe it.

Hope you decide on something fabulous for your SO, AirMess.

lilach, thanks for all your help. :flowers:

You are absolutely correct with Ostrich. I had a very lengthy phone conversation with my SA and she said that all Ostrich comes with a subtle sheen. If I want Matte, it has to be requested for specifically. In the leather book, it's Autruche (Ostrich with the natural subtle sheen) and Autruche Mat (which is Matte). She said to maintain the sheen, I can send it in yearly for a deep cleaning and polish or if not, dust collects on the bag and it looks Matte aka Dirty :rolleyes:

Thanks again for clarifying this point on Ostrich for all of us.

GF oh too sweet
queenie yes exactly the confusion is just that ostrich never becomes as shiny as croc but it is the norm and i am positifly sure that 99% of all ostrich bags around here are shiny ostrich. matte ostrich really is that matte no shine whatsoever even when photgraphed with flash nothing only a velvet like glow
ah and unlike croc when you order ostrich you normally get "shiny" if you want matte you have to specifically ask for it. but as i said before i only ever saw matte in black

lilach, thanks for all your help. :flowers:

You are absolutely correct with Ostrich. I had a very lengthy phone conversation with my SA and she said that all Ostrich comes with a subtle sheen. If I want Matte, it has to be requested for specifically. In the leather book, it's Autruche (Ostrich with the natural subtle sheen) and Autruche Mat (which is Matte). She said to maintain the sheen, I can send it in yearly for a deep cleaning and polish or if not, dust collects on the bag and it looks Matte aka Dirty :rolleyes:

Thanks again for clarifying this point on Ostrich for all of us.

tthank you it is always my pleasure if i can help. ah and normal ostrich (aka shiny) also develops a bautiful patina that intensifies the sheen:flowers:

lilach & AirMess, I have been coming back to this thread to check for more updates. This has been a very informative thread. I learnt something new from tPF again. THANK YOU BOTH!

Am trying to attach two photos of My Ostrich Kelly
One taken in bright sunlight just after polishing at Hermes
the other taken in not so bright sunlight again just after polishing
I think also being cognac in color this could have an effect as black does absorb light
I was told yesterday at hermes that I could not order Ostrich now in Black ( that might of been the brill Sa thinking nooooooo better to have gold not sure)

Attachments

• my ostrich kelly after polishing.jpg
    my ostrich kelly after polishing.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 59
  • ostrich kelly sunshine.jpg
    ostrich kelly sunshine.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 69