Ostrich leather questions.

1. Neiman Marcus Gift Card Event Earn up to a $500 gift card with regular-price purchase with code NMSHOP - Click or tap to check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Inspired by the snakeskin care thread.
    I've always liked ostrich leather, but so far I've never seen it in shops (except a s.o. LV agenda).
    Anyway, I wanted to know if this type of leather is soft and supple or rather thick and hard. What about the "eyes"? I read on the Hermès sub-forum that they can fall off. If that's true, then this type of leather is very delicate, (and not right for a wallet) right?

2. Hi,

I own a handbag business and we currently have one ostrich leather purse in stock. it is made by Carbotti and I will post a pic below. I do not know if all ostrich leather is the same consistency because as we know in calf leather its all in the tanning process. Anyway this purse is what I would call medium. Not the soft leather nor the harder leather. Kind of like nice leather seats in a Cadilac. The "dots" are slightly tougher but not enough to notice.

[​IMG]

Carbotti Handbags - 1561 Ostrich - Made in Italy

3. Thank you for this info!

4. I had an ostrich wallet, way back in the days when I carried a wallet in my back jeans pocket; and the dots completely flattened out from me sitting on it! It also got a bit of a patina, very smooth and almost shiny, from the heat, sweat and compression. I wore it out!