Ostrich Leather input needed!

one of the best skins Hermes makes. Certainly is the best exotic, maintenance wise. Watermarks disappear when dried. One of mine has been in the rain, got water spilled on at Bulgari, and got water splattered on in the bathroom. Simply wipe and press on it with a clean paper towel and it looks as new.

Some may not like the appearance of ostrich but I absolutely love ostrich
Colours look deep and beautiful in ostrich
It is relatively lightweight, keeps its shape and is hardy

I have used my ostrich birkins in the middle of winter and in wet weather and they honestly still look new

There is the issue of the handles darkening, which may not suit some either

The Handles darken very easily...In fact the entire bag darkens even with little use, so it may not be suitable if that is an issue.

Other than that, I agree it is lightweight and hardy and very lovely to use!

My favorite exotic I adoreeee it some members have mentioned discoloration it has not happened on mine but I do wear the twillys and keep it away from the sun it is my favorite exotic for sure I hope you find the one the bag it's the best skin truly !!!!!!!the color on theese bags Are beyond intense and sometimes even more subtle like vert anis, I like it much more in ostrich because it's lighter,fuchsia is perfect, cognac beyond and my favorite bouganvillier so perfect.

Last edited:
The Handles darken very easily...In fact the entire bag darkens even with little use, so it may not be suitable if that is an issue.

Other than that, I agree it is lightweight and hardy and very lovely to use!
It is very true. I personally don't like using twillies on handles...So, I try to be very careful not to grab handles after I use lotion and when hands are not perfectly dry.

Lighter color ostrich is more prone to show darkening handles quicker, like parchemin, naturalle, gris t, and even in fushia, orange, vert anis shows darkening of handles quickly.

I think dark color ostrich ages well, like indigo blue, black, vert olive, brown...etc...But my problem is, I don't like dark colors...:-s...So, I just have to be little careful with lighter color ostrich ones.

My ostrich is my favorite, i feel the skin adds sparkle to my bag. I tend to be a bit rougher with it bc it is so durable and it has been w me at times running through the rain and I just wipe it off once I get in my car and good as new.
I've had mine for 3-4ish years and its starting to look a bit aged but it def. grew on me

Seline as small detail of advice I forgot to mention and this is just a question of esthetics if you are searching for ostrich 30 cm will be the more available size in birkin and 32 cm in kelly if you are looking for a bigger bag then maybe you should start talking with an SA soon and if not then maybe looking Ito resellers just wanted to mention it as in my eyes it's the only problem I see with ostrich right now.

I love this thread!! :smile:

I just got my 30 ostrich Bougainvillier 2 weeks ago and am loving it so far. The color seems to definitely be more vibrant on ostrich and since I love wearing black and grey, this bag definitely adds pop and character to my outfits.

I have seen many 30 cms but have never seen a 35. HOwever, I was offered a tri color 35 cm ostrich 2 weeks ago when I purchased my 30 so I agree with Birkel that you should definitely talk to your SA if you want a 35 as it seems this size in this skin is SUPER rare!

Good luck dear :heart:

I hope you get your dream bag and many more!!

Happy Holidays :heart: