Ostrich bag owners, will you buy another Ostrich bag?

hfinesse

Dec 12, 2015
I’ve just purchased my first Ostrich Birkin in December, see my avatar picture. I am totally in love with Hermes Ostrich and thinking to buy another one already. :thinking:

Just curious about how it will age? Will the color be fading badly? Since many of you have one or many for years, can you please post some of your used Ostrich bag pictures?

Much appreciated.

Congratulations! Ostrich is such a special leather :heart: Just be sure to store it away from sunlight because it's prone to fading and try to protect the handles as much as possible because they do darken and patina quickly.

Here is a photo of my ostrich Trim I 31 in Rouge Vif from 2005. She's held up rather well I must say. I love ostrich because it's lightweight, water resistant and fairly indestructible. The fading and patina are the main concerns but with proper care they will really go the distance!

Enjoy your beautiful new bag!

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1455420776.295089.jpg

Congratulations! Ostrich is such a special leather :heart: Just be sure to store it away from sunlight because it's prone to fading and try to protect the handles as much as possible because they do darken and patina quickly.

Here is a photo of my ostrich Trim I 31 in Rouge Vif from 2005. She's held up rather well I must say. I love ostrich because it's lightweight, water resistant and fairly indestructible. The fading and patina are the main concerns but with proper care they will really go the distance!

View attachment 3272847
Wow! ForeverInPink, your bag is so pretty! I love the color and the charm that you have on the hook. You must take good care of it for I did not see it age at all. Thank you for sharing and great advice. I really appreciate it!:dothewave:

my very very favorite of all Hermes materials ostrich is very noble i have a 35cm pink purchased new by me love it wear it not as much because the bag in 35cm is a bit flashy but since 35cm otrich bags are now rare i adore it, now i have a 35cm 1998 birkin 35cm cognac its beautiful has aged perfectly patina on handles yes ! but amazing. ostrich has great character because i find it looks so exotic in a way exotics used to look. like pieces from the 1930s the Golden age of high leather when otsrich crocodile and even more wild animals were used. and i love this effect. also they are not very common i find many that own ostrich dont wear it as much they dont make many theese days and also they are an adquiered taste some have asked why my bags have polka dots LOL but i hope to find a few more ítems in ostrich i love them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

note since you opned this thread and i find the fórum has very Little on ostrich so i hope many join in.thankyou for opening it !!!!! ill post a picture of my older ostrich in an álbum here on the forum

Last edited:
i posted 4 images of my cognac older ostrich in an álbum here at the fórum called CAROLINE. hope someone can repost here on the thread if not then i hope they help you Darling. best, Birkel

View attachment 3272847

What a special little birdie!

I've H Box, Swift, VC and P Croc an as yet, no H ostrich.

Ostrich is my favourite skin and I know it well, and though my ostrich is non-H they are still great. I tend to go for the colours no one else likes: neutrals, from ivory through tans and browns to black. I think ostrich adds so much to these these colours and just look better and better with age.

Longterm

As Forever said, watch the sunlight (though stored in a dust-bag - handles and all - that's not going to be much of a problem).

More importantly, keep away from grease and that includes HANDS and anything you clean with (just use a clean cloth and let H do the rest come spa time). Ostrich darkens, goes shiny and looks unsightly if it absorbs oil and grease. Don't touch with your hands straight after moisturising, applying lotions, suntan 'stuff' or eating crisps/chips etc. Apart from my black, I either wear gloves, tie a twilly/scarf when carrying by the handle as just the natural oils from the hands can stain irreversibly.

Unlike croc or Box you never have to worry about rain :yahoo:

I've H Box, Swift, VC and P Croc an as yet, no H ostrich.

Ostrich is my favourite skin and I know it well, and though my ostrich is non-H they are still great. I tend to go for the colours no one else likes: neutrals, from ivory through tans and browns to black. I think ostrich adds so much to these these colours and just look better and better with age.

Longterm

As Forever said, watch the sunlight (though stored in a dust-bag - handles and all - that's not going to be much of a problem).

More importantly, keep away from grease and that includes HANDS and anything you clean with (just use a clean cloth and let H do the rest come spa time). Ostrich darkens, goes shiny and looks unsightly if it absorbs oil and grease. Don't touch with your hands straight after moisturising, applying lotions, suntan 'stuff' or eating crisps/chips etc. Apart from my black, I either wear gloves, tie a twilly/scarf when carrying by the handle as just the natural oils from the hands can stain irreversibly.

Unlike croc or Box you never have to worry about rain :yahoo:

good post papertiger. hoping to get a black ostrich (i love polka dots) in the future

Bagidiotic, you’re so right on “it takes time to appreciate this sturdy gorgeous leather.” I’ve never thought I wanted an Ostrich bag until recently. Now that I have one, I enjoy it more each day.

It takes time to appreciate this sturdy gorgeous leather

i posted 4 images of my cognac older ostrich in an álbum here at the fórum called CAROLINE. hope someone can repost here on the thread if not then i hope they help you Darling. best, Birkel

my very very favorite of all Hermes materials ostrich is very noble i have a 35cm pink purchased new by me love it wear it not as much because the bag in 35cm is a bit flashy but since 35cm otrich bags are now rare i adore it, now i have a 35cm 1998 birkin 35cm cognac its beautiful has aged perfectly patina on handles yes ! but amazing. ostrich has great character because i find it looks so exotic in a way exotics used to look. like pieces from the 1930s the Golden age of high leather when otsrich crocodile and even more wild animals were used. and i love this effect. also they are not very common i find many that own ostrich dont wear it as much they dont make many theese days and also they are an adquiered taste some have asked why my bags have polka dots LOL but i hope to find a few more ítems in ostrich i love them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

note since you opned this thread and i find the fórum has very Little on ostrich so i hope many join in.thankyou for opening it !!!!! ill post a picture of my older ostrich in an álbum here on the forum

Birkel, I am not sure how to get to your album? Can someone please help me with that? I’d love to see your 35cm Birkin in Cognac. Your “polka dots” description was funny. :lolots

Reactions: cap4life