Organic Pregnancy

angfento

Happy Momma!
Aug 31, 2006
So I am 34 and planning to be pregant or try soon! It was mentioned to me that I should try an organic pregnancy. Any thoughts? Anyone tried it? I have been eating healthier to get my body in shape for pregancy, but not organic.

kimberf

Loves the Lindy!
O.G.
Mar 8, 2007
California
So I am 34 and planning to be pregant or try soon! It was mentioned to me that I should try an organic pregnancy. Any thoughts? Anyone tried it? I have been eating healthier to get my body in shape for pregancy, but not organic.
What is an organic pregnancy? Is it just eating organic foods? There's all sorts of other stuff, like household and personal care products, clothing, etc. Do they have to be organic too? Do you know what the person who mentioned it to you meant? :confused1:

It all sounds like a good idea, but I think you should do a little research on which aspects may be important to you and bear in mind that you'll need to listen to your body. If you have morning sickness and the only thing you can keep down is Diet Coke and Twinkies (picking an extreme example), then I believe that by all means you should eat those, and to heck with the organic-ness. Being pregnant and staying healthy is difficult, just do the best you can.

angfento

Happy Momma!
Aug 31, 2006
Thanks... yeah I figure I would try to eat healthy but go with what my body tells me!

I think they were talking mostly just foods.

I've heard how bad all the hormones they put into foods can be bad for kids. Especially in Milk, and beef products?

kimberf

Loves the Lindy!
O.G.
Mar 8, 2007
California
Well, there are various schools of thought on the hormones and antibiotics they give animals and whether they pass through to the food we eat at levels that would affect us. There are concerns that the hormones, which include male & female sex hormones, can disrupt human hormone balance and do things like cause early menstruation in girls, and in general, that they could cause cancer later in life. The biggest concern with antibiotics is that widespread use could contribute to the development of "superbugs" that are resistant to antibiotics, not so much that they'll directly affect you.

Personally, I don't want to take the chance, since it's primarily just an additional cost, so I eat organic meat and buy organic dairy products even when I'm not pregnant, but it's all about what you're comfortable with.

I also tried to get mostly organic vegetables and fruit while pregnant, more than I do otherwise, where I might or might not. I tend not to worry about the pesticides and fertilizers as much as the hormones/antibiotics in meats, but that's just my thing -- my neighbor is completely freaked out by any kind of pesticide. If you poke around online, you can find lists on which produce has the most/least pesticide residue that can help you choose.

It's pretty difficult to get everything organic -- if you look at the labels on the produce at Whole Foods, for example, the majority of it is still conventionally grown, meaning it has chemical fertilizers and pesticides. You could probably do it with some good farmers' market sources and a more limited diet, but again, some non-organic stuff or junk food isn't the end of the world.

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
I can't comment as to whether or not you should try to go organic only for pregnancy.
But our home is orgnanic only when it comes to any animal products; milk, eggs, meats, etc. . . .

UWangel143

cheetah cub. so cute
Oct 22, 2006
if you mean "organic" as in no processed foods then go for it.
however the term is very ambiguous. it gave the assumption that pregnancy could be inorganic.

if you want a healthy baby, i suggest avoiding all seafoods like lobster, shrimp, scallops etc.. cept for fish. these foods have chemicals in them that can induce allergies to develop in your baby. u don't have to believe me, but i've been told that for generations, and i've seen a live example of the outcome of ignoring that.

lastly... there is not much "ORGANIC" food left. if you mean that by not biotechnologically modified foods then you're out of luck. basically all the fruits, vegetables, etc you eat are genetically altered as polyploids. don't get it? it means the vegetables have more sets (usually they have 2) of chromosomes to make the fruit/vegetable bigger. tis alone is unnatural. they won't tell you of course, if it is genetically altered. secondly almost all the animals, despite being grain fed, will be also fed antibiotics and growth hormones. its tough to find food that are grown naturally. why? because it is just not profitable for companies.
their term organic really doesn't mean organic. there's also some alteration.