Food Organic food is no healthier, study finds

Vinyl

O.G.
Dec 1, 2007
LONDON (Reuters) – Organic food has no nutritional or health benefits over ordinary food, according to a major study published Wednesday.
Researchers from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine said consumers were paying higher prices for organic food because of its perceived health benefits, creating a global organic market worth an estimated $48 billion in 2007.

A systematic review of 162 scientific papers published in the scientific literature over the last 50 years, however, found there was no significant difference.

"A small number of differences in nutrient content were found to exist between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs, but these are unlikely to be of any public health relevance," said Alan Dangour, one of the report's authors.

"Our review indicates that there is currently no evidence to support the selection of organically over conventionally produced foods on the basis of nutritional superiority."

The results of research, which was commissioned by the British government's Food Standards Agency, were published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Sales of organic food have fallen in some markets, including Britain, as recession has led consumers to cut back on purchases.

The Soil Association said in April that growth in sales of organic products in Britain slowed to just 1.7 percent in 2008, well below the average annual growth rate of 26 percent over the last decade, following a plunge in demand at the end of the year.

Source

But it's safer, no?

scientists go back and forth on the "healthier" issue constantly. i read a recent report that stated the opposite. im thinking its going to be like the egg debate.

either way, its better for the environment, and i find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that omitting chemicals from the food growing process isnt healthier. it all depends on what they consider healthy. in this study, they were looking at the nutrient content, not the link between pesticides and disease.

^^^ exactly. What these studies look at is only levels of vitamins and nutirents found in the foods.

What they don't look at are levels of pesticide residues that might be found on conventially grown produce, the levels of growth hormones in conventially raised meats, the effects of those chemicals on the human body, and the environmental impact of commercial farming.

So the nutient content is about the same? So what? I would assume this to be true. But saying that organic is "no healthier" than conventionally produced food is a misnomer, since the actual parameters of the study were so narrow that they failed to take into account the most important compontents that actually define organically produced foods.

Sadly though, this study will be quoted for decades by commerical farmers, as a justification to continue to pollute our food supply with pesticides and growth hormones that could potentially be extremly harmful to humans, and to continue to wreck the environment with irresponsible farming practices.

Like everyone is saying, it must still be better to not put foreign and mostly dangerous chemicals in our bodies. At the same time I understand an apple vs. an organic apple will have the same nutritional content.

Hmm I find this research interesting.. although I do think it's still better for you and the environment. I mean I have read that the nutritional content is much greater on produce that don't use pesticides though. I'd like to see more details on this article, specifically products tested, was this all packaged products for example.

People actually assume that organic food has more nutrients? Lol.
I buy organic when I can because there is something in non-organic fruit that makes me throw up. I don't know what, but it never happened with organic. Plus it supports the local economy :smile:

A few things from Wiki....

A 2007 study found that organic fruit and vegetables contain up to 40% more antioxidants than conventional equivalents, and organic milk 60% more. The 4-year study was funded by the European Union.[51] According to the Food Standards Agency, "Consumers may choose to buy organic fruit, vegetables and meat because they believe them to be more nutritious than other food. However, the balance of current scientific evidence does not support this view."[52] Another 12-month study commissioned by the FSA in 2009 and conducted at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine based on 50 year's worth of collected evidence concluded that "there is no good evidence that consumption of organic food is beneficial to health in relation to nutrient content."[53] Other studies have found no proof that organic food offers greater nutritional values, more consumer safety or any distinguishable difference in taste; as with any kind of study, one must carefully and critically consider the funding and motive of sponsoring institutions. [54][55][56][57] Regarding taste, a 2001 study concluded that organic apples were sweeter by blind taste test. Firmness of the apples was also rated higher than those grown conventionally.[58]

Don't even get me started on this organic topic. BIL is an organic freak and everytime the subject of conversation at dinner parties always end up with him discussing the benefits of organic food. I roll my eyes until it's ready to pop out!!! He might as well be a vegan cuz he doesn't practice what he preaches especially when I catch him eating some food that isn't even organic.

I buy a lot of organic food. I don't buy it for it's nutritional value, but for the lack of pesticides used. I'm actually a bit surprised that people think organic food is more nutritious.

I buy mostly organic food especially if it's packaged - less ingredients, less chance of an allergic reaction to the food for me. I would think both organic and non-organic fruits and veggies contain the same nutritional value but it's the amount of pesticides and the growth hormones (thanks Monsanto *end sarcasm*) in meat that worry most people.

IMO there is a difference between healthy and safe. I prefer to eat the vegetables that I grow in my garden and that are grown by farmers in my region. I try to make as many meals from "scratch" as I can. I hate how so much american food has a lot of preservatives in it! IMO that can't be healthy.

I buy a lot of organic food. I don't buy it for it's nutritional value, but for the lack of pesticides used. I'm actually a bit surprised that people think organic food is more nutritious.

I agree, I buy it to try to contribute to reducing the amount of chemicals used that go into the earth and that can be absorbed in our bodies. I never would imaging conventionally grown veggies to have a lesser nutritional value than organically grown. A biodiesel car still runs just the same as a gasoline powered car but it's less of a hazardous to the earth and our health due to limiting our exposure to the chemicals in gasoline (not that I drive a car that runs on biodiesel but I like the idea).