Ordering online from Neiman or Last Call so stressful!

pjrufus

O.G.
May 13, 2009
I attemped to purchase a few things some time ago either from NM or LC, and remember having my order cancelled as no longer available, or getting thru the checkout process to be told the same, I gave up on both NM and LC for awhile, too frustrating going from the excitement of finding something and then 'the letdown.'

In January, found out I have a black tie wedding next winter, my son's. I'm partially retired, wear jeans and Timberland boots most times as I work outside. Haven't worn a dress in years. I know it's like almost a year away, but don't want to take a chance on waiting and end up paying more than I can afford for something I half-like. Started researching gowns. I'm old, and need sleeves and coverage. Can't wear golds and beiges, and don't want to take a chance on clashing colors or standing out too much with whatever the bridal party will be doing, My choices are limited, the usual Mother-of-the-bride or MOTG styles aren't me.

The end of January, found an Alexander McQueen black gown on sale at NM with an additional 30% off. Simple, elegant, perfect for me and I didn't hesitate to put the last one in my cart. I was so excited, and forgot about my previous experiences. Sure enough, about 3 days later, I get a cancellation email that it is not available. Search starts again. A few days later, noticed it's back online in a different size and price of course. Started checking every couple of days, it would show up then be sold out again (returns?) The prices would vary from full MSRP (out of my league) to the sale price with nothing additional off, which meant the sale price was about $200 more than I would have paid the first time. To condense this tale a little, in the last 6-7 weeks I have attempted to purchase this dress 5 times. The first time cancelled, 3 times I got thru the checkout and was then told not available. The fifth time (at 20% off - I can live with that) the check out went thru. I worried for 3 days waiting for the cancellation, checking my order, checking to see if the charge posted.

3 days later, got a tracking number, nearly fell off my chair. Should be here end of the week, but still waiting for something to go wrong.

Now I'm going thru the exact same process on a coat from LC. I supposedly purchased the last one, 4 days ago. It was sold out, then back, then sold out again since and I still don't have a tracking number.

Thanks for reading my rant, just feels good to vent about this. I order a lot online, and stuff happens occasionally, but ordering from NM and LC is just consistently the most frustrating.

Oct 30, 2006
Send them a chat or an email telling them about your experience. I bought a bunch of stuff off the winter sale that was cancelled and they sent me 10% off my next order emails as a courtesy. The codes actually took 20% off.

PetiteFromSF

Shoplete
Feb 14, 2015
I attemped to purchase a few things some time ago either from NM or LC, and remember having my order cancelled as no longer available, or getting thru the checkout process to be told the same, I gave up on both NM and LC for awhile, too frustrating going from the excitement of finding something and then 'the letdown.'

In January, found out I have a black tie wedding next winter, my son's. I'm partially retired, wear jeans and Timberland boots most times as I work outside. Haven't worn a dress in years. I know it's like almost a year away, but don't want to take a chance on waiting and end up paying more than I can afford for something I half-like. Started researching gowns. I'm old, and need sleeves and coverage. Can't wear golds and beiges, and don't want to take a chance on clashing colors or standing out too much with whatever the bridal party will be doing, My choices are limited, the usual Mother-of-the-bride or MOTG styles aren't me.

The end of January, found an Alexander McQueen black gown on sale at NM with an additional 30% off. Simple, elegant, perfect for me and I didn't hesitate to put the last one in my cart. I was so excited, and forgot about my previous experiences. Sure enough, about 3 days later, I get a cancellation email that it is not available. Search starts again. A few days later, noticed it's back online in a different size and price of course. Started checking every couple of days, it would show up then be sold out again (returns?) The prices would vary from full MSRP (out of my league) to the sale price with nothing additional off, which meant the sale price was about $200 more than I would have paid the first time. To condense this tale a little, in the last 6-7 weeks I have attempted to purchase this dress 5 times. The first time cancelled, 3 times I got thru the checkout and was then told not available. The fifth time (at 20% off - I can live with that) the check out went thru. I worried for 3 days waiting for the cancellation, checking my order, checking to see if the charge posted.

3 days later, got a tracking number, nearly fell off my chair. Should be here end of the week, but still waiting for something to go wrong.

Now I'm going thru the exact same process on a coat from LC. I supposedly purchased the last one, 4 days ago. It was sold out, then back, then sold out again since and I still don't have a tracking number.

Thanks for reading my rant, just feels good to vent about this. I order a lot online, and stuff happens occasionally, but ordering from NM and LC is just consistently the most frustrating.
I'm wondering if it's inventory issues for sale items. I had a similar situation with Bergdorf. I received a confirmation email, which also stated shipping may be delayed since it will come directly from a store vs. the warehouse. They were kind enough to send a 10% coupon, but I wasn't interested in anything else.

Anyways, I'm sorry you've experienced this. When things like this happen - it's sometimes heartbreaking, but always annoying!

pjrufus

O.G.
May 13, 2009
Thanks all for the empathy. I usually don't let online order crazy stuff get to me. This purchase was a big deal for me. It's so hard to "settle" for something else after you've found "the one." I still don't have it yet, expected delivery changed twice. Looks like Monday now.
I did receive a 10% offer when item cancelled, which would be fine if it stacked with other sales that seem to pop up every few days. Not too willing to buy at 10% off when I know a 20 or 30 is right around the corner
I do think they have inventory issues. If you purchase what looks like the last one, it takes quite awhile to show up as sold out. If something is sold, whether in a store or online, it takes too long for inventory to catch up. I did chat with a rep after getting thru the checkout, then being told 'not available.' Chat person did say inventory process was slow. Then, after the item says 'sold out,' it can reappear several times. It would help if they had a wait list like Saks, so if it does come back in stock, you have first shot at it.

pjrufus

O.G.
May 13, 2009
Update: gown arrived today, and it's beautiful and fits perfectly. It's easy to say this now, because I am so thrilled, but two months of anxiety seems worth it.
Icing on the cake: shoes (for the gown) arrived from 6pm today also. They are the best-fitting shoes I've owned in decades. Had no idea Stuart Weitzman made shoes in narrow.