Ordering Online and Date Codes

cv.lvoe

Jan 23, 2016
I know there have been rumors that some SLGs are not going to have date codes but I'm curious if the LV warehouses keep up with date codes or lot numbers when they ship out items. If the no date code does in fact come into play how will we determine authenticity going forward?

I know there have been rumors that some SLGs are not going to have date codes but I'm curious if the LV warehouses keep up with date codes or lot numbers when they ship out items. If the no date code does in fact come into play how will we determine authenticity going forward?

The date codes do not guarantee authenticity. That's not how Louis Vuitton assesses authenticity of a product.

LV doesn't use date codes as a means of authenticating items, instead they're designed to track batches or a customer's item when it's sent off for repairs. As far as LV cares, as long as we buy directly from them then we are guaranteed an authentic item. Want to buy pre-loved? That's not their problem, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if such an action (if it's actually true) would be intended to dissuade people from turning to the second-hand market or to trip up counterfeiters.

LV doesn't use date codes as a means of authenticating items, instead they're designed to track batches or a customer's item when it's sent off for repairs. As far as LV cares, as long as we buy directly from them then we are guaranteed an authentic item. Want to buy pre-loved? That's not their problem, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if such an action (if it's actually true) would be intended to dissuade people from turning to the second-hand market or to trip up counterfeiters.

Excellent point! I could definitely see it as a means to stopping some of the second-hand market. I have only purchased a bandeau pre loved, but I am still fairly new to LV. How do you feel about purchasing pre loved and would it dissuade you from purchasing knowing the item didn't have a date code?

The date codes do not guarantee authenticity. That's not how Louis Vuitton assesses authenticity of a product.

I guess I should have worded that a bit differently. I returned a bag once and was told once they received the bag and validated the date code they would process my credit. If they stop printing date codes how will that work with returns?

Excellent point! I could definitely see it as a means to stopping some of the second-hand market. I have only purchased a bandeau pre loved, but I am still fairly new to LV. How do you feel about purchasing pre loved and would it dissuade you from purchasing knowing the item didn't have a date code?

I definitely prefer buying new, but wouldn't be against buying pre-loved if there was a discontinued design or colour I wanted, especially if the condition and price are very appealing. As for authentication and date codes, any authenticator worth their salt would not need to rely on a date code to determine if the bag is genuine or counterfeit as there are several other ways to tell. Places such as Yoogi's Closet and Fashionphile are highly reputable, but with eBay buyer beware...it's highly recommended that one would use a third-party to authenticate for both proof and peace of mind.

I definitely prefer buying new, but wouldn't be against buying pre-loved if there was a discontinued design or colour I wanted, especially if the condition and price are very appealing. As for authentication and date codes, any authenticator worth their salt would not need to rely on a date code to determine if the bag is genuine or counterfeit as there are several other ways to tell. Places such as Yoogi's Closet and Fashionphile are highly reputable, but with eBay buyer beware...it's highly recommended that one would use a third-party to authenticate for both proof and peace of mind.

I have definitely been advised to steer clear of eBay [emoji16]. So far I have only purchased from the boutique. I have the worst issues with smells so I have been afraid to buy pre loved. I know there are some excellent deals out there for some amazing bags.

I have definitely been advised to steer clear of eBay [emoji16]. So far I have only purchased from the boutique. I have the worst issues with smells so I have been afraid to buy pre loved. I know there are some excellent deals out there for some amazing bags.

Interestingly there is a chemical smell on some of the newer canvas bags that really does me in. A few months back I ended up getting a whiff off of a Totally and it sent me in to cold sweats and nausea.

Interestingly there is a chemical smell on some of the newer canvas bags that really does me in. A few months back I ended up getting a whiff off of a Totally and it sent me in to cold sweats and nausea.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I ordered a canvas bag from the website and as soon as I opened it I thought I would die!! Terrible!! I ended up going into the boutique and getting the bag that hadn't been boxed up for months and it didn't have the chemical smell anymore.

I guess I should have worded that a bit differently. I returned a bag once and was told once they received the bag and validated the date code they would process my credit. If they stop printing date codes how will that work with returns?

Someone was pulling your leg. Datecodes are not unique and, therefore, cannot be matched to a specific purchase. Hundreds of LV items will be produced with the same datecode.

Someone was pulling your leg. Datecodes are not unique and, therefore, cannot be matched to a specific purchase. Hundreds of LV items will be produced with the same datecode.

So they have no idea when they send out a bag or SLG what the date code is?? Geez...they definitely pulled my leg then because I called to set up a return because the bag had a terrible chemical smell and scratched up brass pieces and they stated they could accept the return but would need to verify the date code when they received the item before they could process my credit.

So they have no idea when they send out a bag or SLG what the date code is?? Geez...they definitely pulled my leg then because I called to set up a return because the bag had a terrible chemical smell and scratched up brass pieces and they stated they could accept the return but would need to verify the date code when they received the item before they could process my credit.

Well I guess if you buy a piece in 1990 and them say you're returning it in 2016 then they would know something was wrong but they're not logged against individual purchasers and they most certainly are not unique and never have been. I suspect that because you said it had a bad chemical smell they might have been suspicious of you trying to return a fake and said that to "put you off" if that was your intention (obviously it wasn't but hope that makes sense anyway).

Well I guess if you buy a piece in 1990 and them say you're returning it in 2016 then they would know something was wrong but they're not logged against individual purchasers and they most certainly are not unique and never have been. I suspect that because you said it had a bad chemical smell they might have been suspicious of you trying to return a fake and said that to "put you off" if that was your intention (obviously it wasn't but hope that makes sense anyway).

Well I kind of got the impression they were insinuating about returning a fake which I didn't even know they had issues with until later on. This was only my second bag purchase at the time. They processed my return with no issues and I managed to get a bag in the boutique that hadn't been boxed up for a long period of time so it didn't have the smell.