Ordering from Tiffany's online questions... any experts?

MissLianne

PhD in shopping
O.G.
Dec 27, 2008
Hello Tiffany boys and girls:biggrin:

I live in Canada and within 20 minutes of two Tiffany's locations. I've never had to order online before.

I noticed on the Tiffany's US website things are a lot cheaper for the EXACT same item. I am vacationing with my dbf in Ft Lauderdale, Florida next week. So I was thinking of taking advantage of the "free shipping" ordering it on Monday and it will get to me while I'm on vacation there (I would be sending it to my hotel). I called Tiffany's and they said that was fine...

I have a few items in mind that will work out to $840 USD. When I priced it on the Canadian website it was about $1055 CAD. Here in Ontario we have 13% sales tax... what would the sales tax be on the Tiffany's U.S website? Is it a standard percentage or does it vary by the state you are shipping it to?

BTW,
How is Tiffany's shipping? They said it would be 4-5 business days. Are they generally pretty good?

THANK YOU!

Hm.. shipping while being at a hotel might sound like a good idea but I suggest you go buy in person. I'd call the store closest to your vacation area and ask them if they have any of the stuff you want.

Ask them if they can hold the items a couple days becuase you will be going soon and save yourself from the stress that shipping causes.

Shipping depends on WHERE they ship from. Sometimes I find that rule on other websites nule, because they ship a couple MILES away from my place. Other times it truly does take the maximum time to get there.

Also, tax depends on the state, I find it easier to just think 10% tax. I believe it's still cheaper than canada that way. :biggrin:

I am not sure about Florida, but I live in California and when I order things online (same goes for phone orders or catalog) if the items is being shipped from a seller in California to California, then there is sales tax, but if it is coming from another state then there is no sales tax. I am not sure exactly why, something about interstate commerce.

If I am buying something say on amazon where there are several dealers, I will pick the out of state one, especially for a pricier item, it could save quite a bit.

I would call the Tiffany 800 number and ask if they would charge sales tax on the order. I have called them before to ask obscure and detailed questions about certain pieces, and they have been very friendly and helpful.

Tiffany's uses UPS for shipping and it is very reliable. 4-5 days is a little generous, it will probably get there in more like 2-3 days. As for sales tax they will charge you Florida's sales tax. Tiffany's has a lot of stores all throughout Florida, I would contact the one nearest to where you'll be staying and see if they have all of the designs you want beforehand (as someone above stated.) If they don't they can have it delivered to the store before you get there. The reason why I recommend doing this is because the Tiffany U.S. website might not let you use a credit card from Canada if your credit card has a Canadian mailing address...actually I'm pretty sure it won't work.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE ABOVE RESPONSES...

When I tried putting through my Tiffany's order it asked for my USA billing adresss. Would I be able to make a phone order by contacting the customer service #?
I *WOULD* go to a store down in Florida, but problem is we won't be anywhere near one. Dbf isn't a shopper we are going to strictly relax in the sun (hence why he won't rent a car)... he's willing to pay for my Tiffany's loot though! I just need a way to get it to me!!

I would try just try and make the trip to the boutique just because there are too many logistical things that could go wrong that would make your vacation miserable. Also, going to the boutique would allow you to try on the piece before you bought it. The Bal Harbour Shops is a 35 minute drive from Fort Lauderdale and has a Tiffany. You can take the Tri-Rail from Fort Lauderdale, get off of the Opa Locka Station and taxi it to Bal Harbour. You could also take a the Fort Lauderdale Shuttle ($11 one-way in a shared van that will drop you off in at the shops). If you can convince your BF to rent a car for a day, Alamo is running a promotion right now for $20 cars on weekend days.

Sales tax in Fort Lauderdale is 6.00% and in Bal Harbour is 7.00%.

You can't order online or over the phone if you don't have a U.S. address that matches your credit card's billing address...this is to prevent fraud. Also they do charge for shipping unless the total price is above $1k or if they have a special going on (usually around the holidays.)

Hey fellow Canadian! I have to agree - find a way to get into the store. Just ditch dbf for the day and hit Bal Harbour!! Sounds awesome! I'd be so worried it wouldn't get there on time! Many sites DO take Cnd visa cards on the phone like Pottery Barn if the shipping address is in the US but not sure about Tiffs. Also do ask about the out of state exemption on taxes. I go to FL a lot and when I came home last year decided to buy a $3,800 Cnd bracelet from Van Cleef and have it shipped to Toronto. Apparently b/c it was being sold out of state, I somehow got out of having to pay the Florida state tax but only b/c the sale left Florida, and I had to ask for it. Of course when it crossed the border Canada revenue got me... but the idea was at least it won't be double taxed. I paid about $600 Cnd on a $3800 bracelet - not too bad!