Orange & Grey? Black & Navy? Are these colors complimentary?

clop

O.G.
Jan 22, 2008
Hi! I'd appreciate your input on the following:

Would a metallic Dark Silver bag match this Orange coat? I wear orange ts under grey sweaters, but that's the extent of it. (I ordinarily pair this coat with a white bag, but am packing light for the weekend) I have reservations that the Dk Silver is too cool for the warmer Orange.

While I'm on the topic of colors, what do you think about Navy & Black? I have a small metallic Navy Blue bag that I will primarily wear with "fancier" clothing - dresses, on special occasions etc. Would Black be more versatile? The Navy is quite dark, in certain lighting it looks black, dk purple, or dk blue. I'm hesitant to pair it with a black or dk grey dress.

Thanks so much for your help! I don't usually pair these combinations, and would love your opinion.

Attachments

• coat.jpg
    coat.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 829
I think silver bag would look great with this.

As for the black/navy, usually I'm not a fan, but I would have to see it to offer a final opinion. Since it's a bag and metallic it may work

I think silver bag would look great with this.

As for the black/navy, usually I'm not a fan, but I would have to see it to offer a final opinion. Since it's a bag and metallic it may work

Thanks for your reassurance! :smile:

I'll have to post pics some time of the navy. I generally only wear navy with jeans, khakis, white, grey, but there's something nice & shimmery & subtly different about this navy that I think (hope) it may work.

eta: The Navy is the 08 metallic navy w/ ruthenium hardware, the 226 w/ matching mini. In contrast to the Navy w/ silver hardware, this blue is much darker, and not as vivid or rich. Apologies my camera's not behaving.

Last edited:
I saw in the new issue of Lucky magazine, "What I Want Now" section, an editor was raving about ORANGE & GREY combos for this spring and I must admit they look really good together. SO yes, I think Oragne and grey would go swell together!

I saw in the new issue of Lucky magazine, "What I Want Now" section, an editor was raving about ORANGE & GREY combos for this spring and I must admit they look really good together. SO yes, I think Oragne and grey would go swell together!

Thanks so much more_Choos! That's good to know. I think I became too fixated on a white bag + orange coat, that any other combinations stopped making sense to me. Thanks for setting me straight! :tup:

orange & grey is a nice combination (i don't wear orange though since it washes me out). but i actually do love navy & black together- it can look chic when done right.

I actually think orange and grey/silver work really well together. I love orange with brown, dark gold, and bronze bags the most, but silver definitely works (I think my '07 DS reissue works better than my '08 though, given the difference in undertones). :smile:

Are you referring to a metallic silver reissue? :smile: Is it the DS reissue from this fall, or last spring? I was playing around in my closet the other day and put on skinny grey jeans, an orange tank (but not bright orange) and a black (I never liked orange and black together... too Halloween :P... but this worked because of the shade of orange) and it looked great. :smile:

I'm a fan of mixing blue and black, but only if the blue is of different texture (i.e. my navy patent Jumbo, or your metallic navy reissue would work nicely) so it stands out nicely and doesn't look like you got dressed in the dark haha. :smile: If I'm mixing navy and black clothing, I usually find an accessory that ties both colors in together (I have a cool bright blue/navy/black background scarf) that I can throw on with navy/black. Or, these fab CLs I have that are a blue/black shimmery leopard print with a gold toe! :nuts: It really depends, but yes, I do like navy/black when it's done right! :smile:

Grey goes with everything, in my opinion. It's a neutral that's finally coming into it's own.

As for Black & Navy, I wear it. It's not as big of a fashion faux pas that people make it out to be.

Hiya Prayes & stephc, thanks for chiming in. By themselves, orange & grey are my favorite colors. I'm glad I can pair them together! :wlae: "...it can look chic when done right" - ditto, I'm just wary of doing it wrong!

Fieryfashionist, I totally agree with your post! I have the 08A DS reissue; I love the cool undertone. I agree the coat complements the prior silvers better. I also do veer away from orange & black, unless it's a coral/pinkish orange. Lucky you, with a 07 & 08 DS!! :drool: I love all things pewter/charcoal/grey. If only I could justify having another reissue in a shade slightly warmer... :crybaby:

I regret passing up a pair of blue/black degrade patent pumps during the saks sale...they would have tied everything together. Argh, and another purple/navy/black sandal. Your CLs sound divine! I suppose I should take pics for final approval lol. The only comments I've received by my friends are, "that's navy? I thought it was black" and "you can wear that bag with anything."

Oxyoxy thanks for posting. Charcoal is one of my fav colors, I'm glad it's gaining more recognition :P lol Thanks I won't feel so awkward if I do commit a faux pas.

Hi KBear, thanks for sharing :tup:

I just remembered that I've always wished my mandarin epis had silver hardware instead of gold. lol So I suppose I'm fine with orange & silver, just iffy with orange and DARK silver :shrugs:

Thanks for everyone's replies, I'm getting more accustomed to this paring.