Orange Box calf K28 sellier GHW... to keep or not to keep??

Keep or return Orange box calf K28 sellier GHW?

• Total voters

carlinha

O.G.
Jul 27, 2008
dear Hermes lovers and experts... i have recently acquired a new to me Orange Box calf Kelly 28 sellier GHW from 2002... considering she is 16 years old, she is in wonderful condition...

i have always admired box calf leather, and i thought i was ready to add this classic heritage leather to my collection... i've done a lot of reading and research on the properties of the leather, i know it scratches easily, i know the scratches can be buffed (to an extent), i know spa can work wonders supposedly ... but when i actually received the bag and took a close look at the scratches and some color loss and drying of the leather in some areas, i got really scared :-s. i now have half a mind to return it because i'm worried i won't be able to deal with how delicate box leather seems to be... on the other hand, i don't want to kick myself down the road for passing up on such a rare amazing beauty.

i know the final decision is mine to make and mine alone... but i would really appreciate some of your thoughts and advice as i mull this over...

a little about me and my current H collection, i have been collecting for about 7-8 years now and i think i've come to a point where i know what my H bag preferences are. i have parted ways with my B35 and K35 as they were too big and heavy for my use. i currently have:
1 epsom B30
1 togo B30
1 epsom B25
1 togo K32 retourne
1 swift K32 retourne
1 epsom K28 sellier
1 evercolor K28 retourne
1 swift K25 retourne
1 chevre K25 sellier
1 epsom C18
1 swift C24
1 tadelakt medor clutch
+ various other clutches and SLGs in epsom, swift, chevre

of the bags i own, i really love chevre, swift, evercolor and togo. epsom is my least favorite leather... and it is becoming clear to me that my bag style preference is the K sellier > retourne in 25 and 28. all of my H bags except for 1 were purchased brand new from the H store, so i am more accustomed to brand-new condition of bags. GHW is my preference, and i do dress in a very feminine and colorful manner, mostly in dresses and skirts. rarely will you see me in shorts and pants, except for gym clothes.

without further ado, here are pics of my orange beauty...fullsizeoutput_62de.jpeg fullsizeoutput_62d3.jpeg EKlCHMu6RR+JxK5DBLtdug.jpg p2awEvcFT6uCawmuucrP4w.jpg a1fJregeSLOi9MkC2NiOsg.jpg 2Pq+gyljRW+c5orq62epVw.jpg BjXsAYjuRn6igmmVV%j5AQ.jpg fullsizeoutput_62c6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_62c0.jpeg fullsizeoutput_62c4.jpeg

Last edited:
Carlinha, I own this very bag....bought it new in Paris years ago. It seldom is worn, given its color....I keep it because I can't bear to part with a box bag. Now, I only purchase darker color box. If you're unsure, return it and wait for the Box Kelly of your dreams.

You don’t sound totally thrilled with it. What bothers you now, will most likely only bother you more Down the road. Plus, based on your bag list, it sounds like you have a fab relationship with you SA. Why not wait awhile and get a brand new one from the store? It may take awhile but it will be so worth it!

Reactions: carlinha
Dear @carlinha,
Hmmm, we know that the style and colour suit, so it comes down to a discussion around condition. I think of box as being like swift - both can show scratches. The main scratches seem to be on the back so are not obvious to anyone but yourself. What concerns me more is dryness of the leather. If you feel that bits of it are too dry already, then unfortunately the bag is on its way downhill. :crybaby: Spa can improve things (give more shine) but may not change the fundamentals. Since you have looked at it and had serious second thoughts, I would have to say that is your answer! Otherwise you would still be over the moon.
Hope that is helpful,
H.T.

dear Hermes lovers and experts... i have recently acquired a new to me Orange Box calf Kelly 28 sellier GHW from 2002... considering she is 16 years old, she is in wonderful condition...

i have always admired box calf leather, and i thought i was ready to add this classic heritage leather to my collection... i've done a lot of reading and research on the properties of the leather, i know it scratches easily, i know the scratches can be buffed (to an extent), i know spa can work wonders supposedly ... but when i actually received the bag and took a close look at the scratches and some color loss and drying of the leather in some areas, i got really scared :-s. i now have half a mind to return it because i'm worried i won't be able to deal with how delicate box leather seems to be... on the other hand, i don't want to kick myself down the road for passing up on such a rare amazing beauty.

i know the final decision is mine to make and mine alone... but i would really appreciate some of your thoughts and advice as i mull this over...

a little about me and my current H collection, i have been collecting for about 7-8 years now and i think i've come to a point where i know what my H bag preferences are. i have parted ways with my B35 and K35 as they were too big and heavy for my use. i currently have:
1 epsom B30
1 togo B30
1 epsom B25
1 togo K32 retourne
1 swift K32 retourne
1 epsom K28 sellier
1 evercolor K28 retourne
1 swift K25 retourne
1 chevre K25 sellier
1 epsom C18
1 swift C24
1 tadelakt medor clutch
+ various other clutches and SLGs in epsom, swift, chevre

of the bags i own, i really love chevre, swift, evercolor and togo. epsom is my least favorite leather... and it is becoming clear to me that my bag style preference is the K sellier > retourne in 25 and 28. all of my H bags except for 1 were purchased brand new from the H store, so i am more accustomed to brand-new condition of bags. GHW is my preference, and i do dress in a very feminine and colorful manner, mostly in dresses and skirts. rarely will you see me in shorts and pants, except for gym clothes.

without further ado, here are pics of my orange beauty...View attachment 4282672 View attachment 4282673 View attachment 4282674 View attachment 4282675 View attachment 4282676 View attachment 4282677 View attachment 4282678 View attachment 4282679 View attachment 4282680 View attachment 4282681

Hi! I completely understand your dilemma. Your kelly is absolutely stunning, but definitely prone to showing blemishes due to the nature of box. I know that you are very careful with your bags and do an excellent job keeping them pristine. I do suspect as gorgeous as box leather can be, the scratches might cause you too much worry and override the joy of owning a heritage leather. Personally, I own one box bag, but still have not been able to bring her out of her dust bag to use her. I keep promising myself that I will let her come out to play. Give it some thought to see if you can really tolerate the imperfections while she evolves over time. Please keep us posted on what you decide.

The bag is beautiful and rare and a very carlinha tropical-y color. I don't see dryness to worry about in the photos.
I'd keep it - just wear it on occasions where it won't be slammed around. I rarely carry my box sellier K but when I do it is a treasure and I would never part with it.
The only exception would be if you just can't bear a bag that is not in new condition.

I completely feel for you! My collection is much smaller than yours but I have some very special pieces. I also love chevre, Togo, and evercolor (and ostrich!). I had been lusting after box for years and recently acquired a BBK sellier with PHW from the year 2000! When she arrived I was quite alarmed to see that the handle had a tendency to move a little bit on the double O-ring and slouch forward, and that there were some dry spots near the top back of the bag as well. I decided to keep her and try using her, and use her I did! After my mini Roulis in Gris Asphalte, this box Kelly is my most used and easiest to use bag. Because she is pre-loved I have fewer qualms about using her regularly, it brings me great joy to carry a box bag, and I recently talked to my store director about box and how lovely she will be after a spa when I feel we’ve reached the point where she needs it.

Your bag is incredibly beautiful but you have to be comfortable with the thought of using her and potentially adding a few more dings before the spa. Good luck and keep us posted!

What a rare box beauty! It is definitely a delima. You already own several of the more “delicate” leathers like swift and tadelakt and didn’t mention having trouble using those so I think you’d be fine using a box bag. Maybe it is more whether you are ok with the preloved condition of this bag. Good luck deciding.

Carlinha - you don’t strike me as someone who gets in scuffles with your bags.... so if you do fall in love, box is amazing! Maybe something handheld might be better as a starter box? I have an old school kelly longue and she is amazing to stroke. I don’t worry as handheld is less likely to be knocked about.

The Kelly is gorgeous and quite special, but only if you think you will get over your qualms

I will let it go...

No doubt you will rock this color/style but you have a such a great existing collection which means this bag will probably sit in the closet given you are already worried about existing scratches.

LOVE seeing box on others, the sheen and patina etc is amazing but find myself focusing on how scratchy it is. I have 2 box bags both preloved (a k20 and a k25), still own them as they are easy to maneuver and hide in case it rains. Used to own a k28 like you, but found it too fussy and let it go. FOR ME I always focused on the scratches and how vulnerable it is....

Good luck!!

Remember Docride’s one metre rule, then imperfections visible under close inspection diminish and are less obvious.

Have it spa-ed and build up the special deep glowing patina that only develops over time. You will discover that box is much more robust than many would have you believe. You will quickly learn to be just a little bit careful with your nails, without the need to be obsessive.

You are in the fortunate situation to have such a large collection of bags that this can only be another which will certainly give you pleasure whenever you want to use it.