Opinions/thoughts: Alma Epi decision~ please help!

SimplyB

Mar 9, 2016
I'm looking at purchasing a pre-loved Alma in Epi black. There are 2 that I'm deciding between. Is there a difference in Epi leather quality (one made in '97 and one from 2003?). How about the brass hardware? There is not a huge difference in price (the '97 is about $200 cheaper).

1997 model: has some "wear" on the surface, leather on bottom pristine. "LV" logo on the front is crisp. ---with some leather conditioner I hope I can make the leather look less "dull" (?)

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1462130518.692906.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1462130532.447482.jpg

2003 model: The overall leather appears to be smoother. No scratches just white marks from banging into walls (?). Logo on front is not as crisp (which makes me question quality of craftsmanship on this particular piece). Includes lock.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1462130546.270296.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1462130555.725440.jpg

Any insights or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to get one for Mother's Day!

Thanks in advance!

Hi SimplyB,

I don't think there would be any quality difference in the Epi leather or the brass on these two bags, I'm by no means an expert though. Hopefully some other members can give you some information about that.

By looking at the two photos I prefer the one from 2003, the leather does look smoother, overall the bag looks a bit newer. You are right though, the logo doesn't look as crisp on that one. I guess each bag is slightly unique, it would be rare to find one that's absolutely perfect. I guess it depends how much the logo bothers you.

Good luck deciding, keep us posted :smile:

I'm looking at purchasing a pre-loved Alma in Epi black. There are 2 that I'm deciding between. Is there a difference in Epi leather quality (one made in '97 and one from 2003?). How about the brass hardware? There is not a huge difference in price (the '97 is about $200 cheaper).

1997 model: has some "wear" on the surface, leather on bottom pristine. "LV" logo on the front is crisp. ---with some leather conditioner I hope I can make the leather look less "dull" (?)

View attachment 3344448View attachment 3344449

2003 model: The overall leather appears to be smoother. No scratches just white marks from banging into walls (?). Logo on front is not as crisp (which makes me question quality of craftsmanship on this particular piece). Includes lock.

View attachment 3344450View attachment 3344451

Any insights or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to get one for Mother's Day!

Thanks in advance!
The embossing has nothing to do with the quality of the bag. It just depends on how much pressure is used by the person doing the embossing that day! I would get the 2003 one if I were you!

Thank you all for your responses. I ended up getting the 2003. Good to know about the embossing...overall it did look like it was well taken care of and would last me a long time. Can't wait for it to arrive! [emoji322]