Opinions regarding resetting family jewellery

Onebagtoomany

O.G.
Apr 16, 2011
I just wanted to pick your brains on this as I have been thinking of resetting the diamonds (and gold if I can) from one of my grandmother's rings into a necklace for a while, but am in two minds as I feel a bit guilty.

My grandmother had lots of beautiful pieces of jewellery, some of which has already been given to me by my mother and the rest is still with her to pass down to me when she chooses. So let me say at this point that from a sentimental point of view there will be no shortage of gorgeous pieces to keep exactly as they are and remember my grandmother by in the future and even now as I have some other rings and bracelets already from her.

My mother gave me a diamond cluster ring on my 30th birthday three years ago which is stunning and I wore it on my right hand on my wedding day as my 'something old'. However, it is a little too big for me band-wise and I find that I hardly ever wear it as I feel that as a ring it is a little ostentatious for everyday wear. I am useless at guessing carat weights but I think the centre stone is around a carat or just under and it is surrounded by 12 little stones which look like between .05 and .10 each. I don't know the stats as it is inherited but imagine they are pretty good given the sparkle, cut and colour of the diamonds - at least VVS clarity and E colour. I've been thinking of having the diamonds reset into a necklace, to look like something similar to this pendant from Hearts on Fire but obviously on a bigger scale as the total carat weight will be something between 1.50 and 2 carat:

http://www.heartsonfire.com/shop-jewelry/necklaces/fulfillmentpendantnecklace.aspx

I know I would wear this on special occasions and still love and cherish it because the stones will have come from my grandmother's ring. If possible I would also like to use the gold from the old ring to make the chain and the setting too, although it may not be enough and from reading another thread on here I'm not sure how jewellers feel about mixing gold if I had to use some melted down gold from some other pieces I don't use (have some 18k hoops I never wear).

So, what do you guys think? What would you do - keep it as it is or reset it? Or even reset it but have it made into another ring? I haven't mentioned my thoughts to my mother as I am pretty sure she will be upset at the idea of me changing it, having been her mother's ring. I don't want to upset her but she is not into jewellery in the same way as I am (despite having an amazing collection she doesn't touch most of it) and I think it seems silly for the ring to sit in my jewellery box unworn most of the time.

I think if you explained to your mother that you want to do this so you can wear it more then your mother would understand. I think just converting it from a ring to a necklace without resetting it completely might be less drastic if you're worried about your mother's feelings about it.

Perhaps you should ask your Mother directly whether or not she would be upset if you wanted to re-set the ring into a pendant?

I approached this subject with my own family in November regarding my Grandmother's jewelry, and mentioned in passing that I'd been cleaning my closet/drawers and came across all of my Grandmother's lovely rings... and that I felt guilty for not wearing them more often, but that many were in need of repair and some of them simply so dated that they weren't to my personal style. I explained that I felt badly that they weren't doing anyone any good sitting closed in a wooden keepsake box, and that I really would like to re-set them so that I could wear them and appreciate them for years to come.

Of course, my uncles all made me promise to not sell anything - gold or stones - but I was basically told that as long as I kept it all, they were mine to do with as I wanted.

Perhaps your Mother will take a similar approach if you explain your wishes in a similar way?

Hi there, if you are not wearing the ring because of the size I think you should get it changed for something that you would wear. I've been upgrading my rings over the last few years and have some very beautiful jewellery. One particular ring of mine which was very cute and given to me in the early stages of our relationship from my OH when we had less money wasn't being worn and I couldn't bear to sell for sentimental reasons. I had it made into a cute necklace and now wear it much more often. I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide to do :biggrin:

Since the stones are the same, imo the sentimental values remain. It'd be such a shame not to wear a piece more often and let it sit in the box - that kind of neglect would be negative as opposed to changing the piece into a more wearable one.

Personally, I would not change it. I'm just very sentimental about jewelry that my mom gave me. One year she gave me a 14k gold charm of a little boy...I don't have a son...just one daughter. I thought about exchanging it, but just could not do it. When I see that charm on my bracelet, it reminds me of how cute my mom was and brings a smile to my face!

I would do nothing til you discuss with your mom. I think it being an important heirloom as it is, it might be a problem for her, and especially if you do it without discussing it with her first. Personally I am one that kinda believes that you don't dismantle an heirloom unless you're told its ok or if its in a condition that leaves it unsafe to keep it as is.

I think it's best to discuss with your mom first, since you mentioned that she may be upset with the idea of resetting it. Perhaps can explain to her how you feel you will wear it more if it is set into a pendant, and that you'll be keeping all the stones.

If she's fine with it, i think there is nothing wrong with resetting the ring into something you'll wear more.

I would NEVER change it... Resizing yes but changing it to a whole different thing is erasing the memory of it and just keeping the valuable materialistic part which is diamonds.
I have things my aunt gave me and she's dead already. It's dated and old but she wore it on her skin and it keeps information and her energy. Every time I look at it, it reminds me of her wearing it and laughing, being all funny and alive.

I have jewelry from my great great grandparents. It's old and definitely looks like antique. I wear most of it for very special occasions. I could've changed them because the diamonds are huge and the old gold is not that good of quality. But those pieces were cherished by my family and were saved even during the first and second world wars, revolutions, during hunger and suffer. Who am I to change it now if my family didn't touch it during those struggles? No.

I did reset some of the jewelry from my previous marriages just because I care for the diamonds not the actual jewelry pieces, and don't give a rats buttatas about my ex husbands. But I would never change the things of the ones I love. I'm not that desperate to have a new jewelry piece. Memory is what matters to me.

Thanks so much for your input ladies - I think based on what many of you have said and having reflected on it since yesterday I am going to leave it as it is.

I did actually speak to my mum about it last night and she was a lot more relaxed about the idea than I thought she would be. She said she thinks I should leave it as it is but possibly change the setting at some point if I really want to make it more wearable as a ring. I will also investigate having the band re-sized to fit me properly.

I would NEVER change it... Resizing yes but changing it to a whole different thing is erasing the memory of it and just keeping the valuable materialistic part which is diamonds.
I have things my aunt gave me and she's dead already. It's dated and old but she wore it on her skin and it keeps information and her energy. Every time I look at it, it reminds me of her wearing it and laughing, being all funny and alive.

I have jewelry from my great great grandparents. It's old and definitely looks like antique. I wear most of it for very special occasions. I could've changed them because the diamonds are huge and the old gold is not that good of quality. But those pieces were cherished by my family and were saved even during the first and second world wars, revolutions, during hunger and suffer. Who am I to change it now if my family didn't touch it during those struggles? No.

I did reset some of the jewelry from my previous marriages just because I care for the diamonds not the actual jewelry pieces, and don't give a rats buttatas about my ex husbands. But I would never change the things of the ones I love. I'm not that desperate to have a new jewelry piece. Memory is what matters to me.

I love your comment and it really made me think again the meaning of the ring and its connection with my grandmother who I adored. Thankyou!