Opinions please - do I return DH's gifts???

clu13

Shoe and Bag Addict
O.G.
Oct 12, 2008
My husband bought me an Azur Eva and Puzzles key chain for Christmas. I really did not think I would get anything handbag related given that he totally surprised me with my HG jumbo Chanel caviar double flap for our anniversary this summer and I purchased the Bloomsbury GM for my birthday 2 weeks ago as my gift from him.

He really dislikes handbags and thinks they are waste of money. So I hate the idea of being a miserable, unappreciative wife, but I have always been on the fence about Eva - sometimes I like it, sometimes I really find it unattractive. Moreover, I don't think I am a bag charm person. I think it looks tacky on my bags, though it is beautiful keychain - however, my cars have keyless starts so I need take a key out of the bag. And I have a clues (avatar). I talked about these items so I am so happy that he listened. But I just don't think they work for me. But then I wonder if I would regret returning the Eva as it seems like it would be really cute when we go on vacations (he also got us a cabin on the Carolinas Panthers cruise this spring as we are insane Panthers fan)

My LV wish list is the an Epi locket (hopefully they continued it in the new colors) and the Citadine PM. That is really all that I want from LV at this point. If I return I can get the Epi Lockit as a relatively easy exchange. Should I do that? How do I handle this diplomatically. Or should I just be thrilled that I received a wonderful gift from a wonderful man?

I would keep it, but thats just my opinion. I think the eva is a very cute bag for vacations or eveningparties... and If I got it from my boyfriend it would mean a lot to me... Maybe you'll start loving it more when you start using it? And if he sees you happy with his gifts, maybe he'll buy you an epi lockit for you valentine gift :happydance:

IMO do what makes you happy with the least amount of resistance. I would personally keep what your DH gave you. Since he really dislikes handbags, he was really going out of his own personal value system and beliefs to do what he thought made you happy, and listened to what you said you wanted, to boot! You would know your own DH best, but I would think returning the items would be hurtful to him because he seemed to be trying hard to be thoughtful for you. I also think returning the items would be a disincentive for him to be as thoughtful and put as much effort in future gifts/gestures since the last one he tried was unsuccessful. Plus you said you mentioned these items before, so they may grow on you such that you love them again.

To me, having such a wonderful, loving and thoughtful husband is more valuable than a bag or any other material object, and wouldn't want to to hurt his feelings.

Your husband is very sweet! I think it really depends on you though. Your husband really went out of him comfort zone to do something sweet for you, and I feel maybe I would keep them to show your appreciation... however... I am sure he wants you to be happy. Would it be possible to do an exchange?

I'm with NYC princess. I'd never think of returning a gift.
I wouldn't return it since it might hurt his feelings. You said he dislikes handbags so he did a huge step to get you the Eva and I think it's so sweet of him to support your love for LV. If I were your hubby I'd feel miserable if you told me you wanted to exchange it. I'm sure you will love EVA, everytime you'll look at her you are reminded of how your hubby wants to make you happy.

It depends.... how long have you been married?

He's trying to please you and you don't want to discourage future efforts. And the Eva is perfect for a cruise. You have to carry something around the ship. My LV pochette has travelled the world on cruiseships for that reason.

I would definitely keep it as well I think you can get use out of the Eva and the Puzzle Keychain. Especially since he's not really into it but he got it for you anyway. Maybe the next time an occasion comes around to buy you another bag, you can drop hints beforehand so he could get the one you really want.

My DH doesn't really buy me designer items..I think in our 17 years together, he's bought me 2 items with my big hint dropping and once on his own. He bought me a coral Gucci scarf that I wasn't into at first and I could see the anticipation in his eyes of my reaction and I didn't like it at first and he was saying I could return it if I wanted but he just seemed so proud that he got the help of the SA and that he picked it without my help. I decided to keep it and I wish I didn't show any hesitation about liking it. I felt so terrible.

tough call. my DH knows not to buy bags w/out my input but since he thinks i should wear whatever he buys all the time....i am less willing to take his advice or $ when it comes to bags. its a little tricky since it was a gift. if he offered no compromise in the area of returning (gift receipt/ comment); i would keep it and suck it up. they may both grow on you and you will learn to love them only because they came from him.

if you really see yourself NEVER using them, ask him his though on returning and let him know that you had something else in mind. whatever you do---dont do it without him knowing as the situation may become resentful

I'm sure he'd rather have you happy with the gift than just accepting it to be appreciative. Since he went out of his way to spend a good amount of money(on something he doesn't support), I think he'd rather have you happy- after all, that's what the gift was aiming for right? I've returned my boyfriend's gifts before for something I wanted more and he never had a problem with it because he wanted me to be happy after all the money he's spent.

Gosh, I agree with almost every post before mine! You all sure are convincing.

I advise keep it b/c like one said, he went against his opinion to make you happy & you will get a lot of use & stares from others while on your cruise. Keep it b/c both of you will feel better:smile: besides, he'll probably buy you more for upcoming holidays if he sees how much use & love you have for his gift!

tough call. my DH knows not to buy bags w/out my input but since he thinks i should wear whatever he buys all the time....i am less willing to take his advice or $ when it comes to bags. its a little tricky since it was a gift. if he offered no compromise in the area of returning (gift receipt/ comment); i would keep it and suck it up. they may both grow on you and you will learn to love them only because they came from him.

if you really see yourself NEVER using them, ask him his though on returning and let him know that you had something else in mind. whatever you do---dont do it without him knowing as the situation may become resentful
Well said!! I second this point of view.

That is a little tough.. But I don't think I would be able to return any LV that my hubby bought me. Like your hubby, he really doesn't understand the LV love, but he has bought stuff for me. Most of my LVs are special to me not because they are gorgeous or LV, but because of the occassion for which I received them. For instance, my monogram checkbook cover my hubby and daughter got me for my very first mother's day- i will NEVER part with it- even if I never carried a checkbook.

Just wear your Eva with pride knowing it was a very thoughtful gift from your wonderful DH. Maye suggest to him for future purchases, you will keep a "wish list" handy to help him out, and to give him an idea of what you are drooling over ATM :smile:

Make him a sandwich wearing heels and nothing else, then tell him you want to return his gift for something that would make you even happier and I'm sure he'll say yes ;)