Opinions, please - bag related (sorta)

Minnifer

Jan 14, 2009
OK, HHHotties of vast bag experience, I value your opinions, and want to know what you would do/how you would feel in the following situation: I bought two bags in the same style but different colors directly from a manufacturer (not HH - I know, sacrilege:P!) in a sale they were having, and decided I could only afford to keep one. Posted the other on another board I'm on, and someone bought it. Turns out there is a flaw - a tear in the leather on one of the loops where the messenger strap attaches to the bag. I had looked the bag over carefully, but apparently missed this, as had the manufacturer. The buyer said that the tear is really hard to see/find.

I feel terrible so I got right in touch with the manufacturer to see what they could do, and we emailed back and forth. They have a no refunds policy on the sale items, but they said they would absolutely repair it if the buyer sent it back to them. Problem solved, right? NO. Apparently the buyer doesn't feel "comfortable" with a repaired bag and wants me to refund her money. Doesn't want a bag that has been "patched together." This even though I'm confident the manufacturer will make sure the loop is fixed perfectly.

I'm bummed b/c I'm trying to do the right thing but I feel like the buyer isn't working with me and is being unreasonable, assuming the bag is repaired. The buyer would be in the same situation if she had bought directly from the manufacturer. What do you think? What would you do???? :confused1::sad:

travelmom

Nov 29, 2008
Singapore
Unfortunately, I feel you will have to refund the money and get the bag fixed yourself. You could then resell later. Since you did not list the flaw (Make sure you get a pic of the flaw before agreeing to refund) it is your responsibility to make right with the buyer. The buyer, I am sure, does not want the extra hassle of getting the bag fixed. I know I wouldn't.

Sorry this has happened to you.:sad:

ETA: I think there is an evilbay forum on TPF somewhere. You may get more help there.

Ms.Lizardo

Feb 10, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Minnifer....I know this is not what you want to hear, but I would refund her the money. Even though it was an oversight, and granted small, because it is on a messenger strap look, I can see why she is concerned.

Maybe in her eyes if somehow the repair is done and looks bad she knows she will have no recourse. Factoring in the time frame, which could take awhile, is probably another concern of hers.

I think things like this are kind of like Ebay sales......if you missed something, it's better to refund, and not have anyone unsatisfied or any hard feelings, even if it's a pain in the butt. Sorry this had to happen.

Minnifer

Jan 14, 2009
Thanks for your thoughts, Ms. Liz and travelmom.:tup:

Now that this thread has been moved and is getting lost in the shuffle, does anyone else have any views? Thanks!!

Jul 3, 2006
I'm with the buyer. I wouldn't want it if repaired as well. I think you need to refund the money unfortunately. I don't think she's being unreasonable. I suppose you could offer a partial refund and see if she still wants to go ahead.

ABelfor

<3 Cecilia <3
Feb 13, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for your thoughts, Ms. Liz and travelmom.:tup:

Now that this thread has been moved and is getting lost in the shuffle, does anyone else have any views? Thanks!!
Yeah sorry girlie, I side with the buyer. She has the right to her money back since she did not know about the flaw.

Minnifer

Jan 14, 2009
Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to give her the refund - it just seems odd to me that she winds up in a better position having bought from me than if she had just bought directly from the manufacturer. I guess I'm mostly angry at the manufacturer for sending something out with a flaw like that in the first place...