Opinions on up cycle trend

Volvomom

Jan 5, 2016
I am seeing this a lot around Boston, etc., Personally I don't like it, is it even legal??? I have seen a small LV wallet on a chain that was up-cycled. I'd like to hear other opinions on this "trend."

Second hand stores are selling upcycled bags? That I could see, as long as they state clearly that the item has been upcycled so the buyer doesn't think that they're buying an original design. I suspect a lot of people are buying preloved items and adding chains or whatever because of price increases. Or maybe they love the bag but one aspect of the design doesn't work for them. There are lots of threads here on TPM that describe how people shorten and lengthen chains, add or cut off monograms or charms on new bags. I think the only difference is how noticeable it is to others.

Several LV FB groups allow crafters to sell their re-purposed LV mono items ( pill cases, charms, keychains, mirrors, etc.). Although the original material is authentic, I personally don't like such frankenvuittons, but to each his own. I guess i'm a traditionalist and I like owning originals which are connected to the brand which have a history.

These are practically just fake Louis Vuitton bags made of (allegedly!) authentic Vuitton canvas. And selling these never-existing-at-Vuitton designs make it legally problematic. This is the point of a registered trademark symbol. If a second-hand shop sells used bags, those are still authentic Louis Vuitton pieces and designs, just used. And that is OK. But in this case they are turned into something completely alien to the brand, still bearing its protected trademark, hence giving the impression that they are Louis Vuitton. They are not.
There was a very sad thread on the forum this fall. A lovely lady posted that she bought some nice framed collages made from LV canvas. The webshop stated that they were made from authentic old Louis Vuitton canvas, and charged $300-500 for a picture. But the 'how was it made' pics on their website gave away the trick, they screamed that the canvas was sourced from Canal Street fakes. And it was heartbraking that they charged the price of an authentic new wallet for that cheap fake sh*t.