opinions on these Boots

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I want a new pair of black boots and Born are very comfortable for me. I tried these on at Macys and the size 9 was a bit roomy. They didn't have an 81/2 to try. I can get them online for a better price than Macys but have to decide which size and do I really love them. I have another pair of Born boots with the same heel - main difference is the toe on thesones I have is kind of oval. These black ones have a toe that kind of goes to a point and then squares off at the end.
Not sure I like that square toe but if I want a comfortable pair of black boots this winter, these seem to be my best option.

Any opinions? Is the square toe a deal breaker?
_13035919.jpg

I want a new pair of black boots and Born are very comfortable for me. I tried these on at Macys and the size 9 was a bit roomy. They didn't have an 81/2 to try. I can get them online for a better price than Macys but have to decide which size and do I really love them. I have another pair of Born boots with the same heel - main difference is the toe on thesones I have is kind of oval. These black ones have a toe that kind of goes to a point and then squares off at the end.
Not sure I like that square toe but if I want a comfortable pair of black boots this winter, these seem to be my best option.

Any opinions? Is the square toe a deal breaker?
_13035919.jpg
I like them. I looked at other pics online and I don't think the toe looks super-squared off.

It kind of reminds me of a cowboy boot, and I like a bit of a square toe. More forgiving than a pointy one and less cutesy than a round one. Plus its also comfy, I think you have a winner, and variety too.

I like them. I looked at other pics online and I don't think the toe looks super-squared off.

It kind of reminds me of a cowboy boot, and I like a bit of a square toe. More forgiving than a pointy one and less cutesy than a round one. Plus its also comfy, I think you have a winner, and variety too.

ok, you've enabled me
now to decide which size
following is a picture of my other Born boots which are 81/2 and fit perfectly.....I tried the black ones in the store and the 9 felt a bit loose so I'm leaning toward an 81/2. Hate to have to pay return postage if they're too small. would you go for the ones that might be too loose or the ones that might be a bit tight. These boots in the pic below that fit perfectly are pretty similar except for toe shape...same heel, etc.
born-women-slater-antracite_distressed-D08750__67568.1374612909.1280.1280.jpg

ok, you've enabled me
now to decide which size
following is a picture of my other Born boots which are 81/2 and fit perfectly.....I tried the black ones in the store and the 9 felt a bit loose so I'm leaning toward an 81/2. Hate to have to pay return postage if they're too small. would you go for the ones that might be too loose or the ones that might be a bit tight. These boots in the pic below that fit perfectly are pretty similar except for toe shape...same heel, etc.
born-women-slater-antracite_distressed-D08750__67568.1374612909.1280.1280.jpg
Did my due diligence and 99% online reviewers say they run tts...and boy, these boots get pretty high ratings across the board for quality, comfort and style.

Did my due diligence and 99% online reviewers say they run tts...and boy, these boots get pretty high ratings across the board for quality, comfort and style.
I'm torn....if they're loose you can put some insoles in but these shoes are already padded
if they're tight, not much you can do about it....but my old ones are the smaller size....I guess the biggest difference besides the toe shape might be the leather. my old ones are kind of distressed leather. uugh

If I were in this situation I would just buy the 8.5 and if it doesn't feel right I'd just pay the postage to return.
You already know the 9 is a bit loose, and your other 8.5's fit just right. If the 8.5 ends up being too tight, it won't make the 9's fit any better. No point in owning a shoe that doesn't feel just right. There will always be more boots to consider. Unless you think they were really close to fitting well, or sometimes the time of day you try on a shoes affects how it feels.
Tough buying online! Good luck.

If I were in this situation I would just buy the 8.5 and if it doesn't feel right I'd just pay the postage to return.
You already know the 9 is a bit loose, and your other 8.5's fit just right. If the 8.5 ends up being too tight, it won't make the 9's fit any better. No point in owning a shoe that doesn't feel just right. There will always be more boots to consider. Unless you think they were really close to fitting well, or sometimes the time of day you try on a shoes affects how it feels.
done
thanks for the enabling :smile:

Reactions: EGBDF
I'm torn....if they're loose you can put some insoles in but these shoes are already padded
if they're tight, not much you can do about it....but my old ones are the smaller size....I guess the biggest difference besides the toe shape might be the leather. my old ones are kind of distressed leather. uugh

I agree. At this point, I'd find a retailer with free return shipping that has competitive price to the ones that has the lowest price and just pay a few extra dollars for the convenience. So if it fits, great, if not, just drop it off prepaid.

I actually just did that at fedex! Ah, online shopping...

so I got the smaller size - same size as my old Born boots. At first they felt horribly uncomfortable and hard. Then I finally realized they had cardboard moulding material in the top of the shoe, making it hard. Silly of me but I guess when we shop at BNM stores we don't usually get a pair that has everything packed.
After removing the cardboard, they felt much better. But not as good as my old ones. I'm going to wear them around the house and try to decide if they're comfortable enough. I realize an old pair has had lots of time to mold to my food but the when I compare the new to the old, the new ones feel a bit tight in the toe box.

My only option to try to help decide is to go to Macy's and try on the larger size again. I called to ask if they still have them and they only have them in suede. Suede is going to be softer and may feel different so I don't know if it's worth the trip to try them on.

What I'd like to try to avoid is to pay return shipping, buy the larger size from the same retailer and find they're not any better. But I suppose if they were a bit large you can always put a pad in or wear heavier socks.
Maybe I'm not meant to buy shoes online :smile: