Opinions on Mesh Halter

May 29, 2010
The majority of people on this thread seem to LOVE the brand (and yes I :heart: Tiffany). I love most pieces but am confused by the mesh halter. It looks like a piece that would only be worn on a runway. How would one even wear it in real life? I cannot imagine chasing after my kids or running to the grocery store in it. It couldn't be worn to a beach or pool because the salt/chlorine would cause it to tarnish. I am very confused by the sale of this piece. As I display in a store I understand but as a piece to purchase: not for me. What are your opinions? Would you wear it? What occasion?

Attachments

• elsa-perettimesh-halter-36876476_963061_ED.jpg
    elsa-perettimesh-halter-36876476_963061_ED.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Reactions: tarana6
Ok, well first of all, is this something that is current or is it a vintage piece?
My second question is...are you contemplating it or just throwing out the question?
I ask because if you are contemplating it...please, please, please.....save your $$ for the matching vivid-yellow diamond pendant!!!
We can chase children around the backyard sprinkler much more becomingly (and comfortably ) in a Tory burch bikini top!!

Reactions: AntiqueShopper
Ok, well first of all, is this something that is current or is it a vintage piece?
My second question is...are you contemplating it or just throwing out the question?
I ask because if you are contemplating it...please, please, please.....save your $$ for the matching vivid-yellow diamond pendant!!!
We can chase children around the backyard sprinkler much more becomingly (and comfortably ) in a Tory burch bikini top!!
It actually just popped up on the website (not vintage). I am just curious who purchases this item and when do they use it. It retails for $5800. And I do plan to save for that pendant. It will take a while but that is ok by me. At least I can stare at my pretty ring.

This was designed by Peretti decades ago. I believe the original version was in YG. It's considered one of her most famous pieces. I personally would not buy one but I think it is unique and would look good on a magazine cover.

AntiqueShopper, which mesh pieces do you have? I would like to own the scarf earrings in YG one day and I am curious about the durability.

Reactions: tarana6
This was designed by Peretti decades ago. I believe the original version was in YG. It's considered one of her most famous pieces. I personally would not buy one but I think it is unique and would look good on a magazine cover.

AntiqueShopper, which mesh pieces do you have? I would like to own the scarf earrings in YG one day and I am curious about the durability.
So I own the mini mesh earrings in silver since 2003 or so, the gold mesh pendant with a pearl instead of a diamond (purchased around 2004 or 5), the Sevilla Mesh Toggle Necklace in silver, a mesh silver chain, and Open Heart Mesh Toggle Bracelet in silver. Out of all of these pieces the earrings, by far, have the most wear. Although I haven't put them on for a long time, they seem to have held up well. The gold pendant was the next on my list of wear. TBH, I probably should have never bought that particular piece because the pendant is barely noticeable on me. For some reason, and I own a lot of Tiffany's yellow gold, it blends into my skin. The Open Heart Mesh Toggle Bracelet is a piece I love but has become way too big on my wrist. I am not sure if my wrist shrunk or the piece stretched. So I go back and forth with what to do with it. The chain gets very limited wear as I have 2 little kids and it is about 24 inches. Finally the Sevilla Toggle Necklace is by far my favorite piece in my mesh collection. Unfortunately it gets worn on a very limited basis. The majority of my Tiffany gold/platinum pieces are worn often, but I find my silver is worn less these days. I have actually thought about selling a few of these pieces but have not been able to actually do it, because they are so pretty.

I love your mesh pieces, especially those earrings. Very cool looking.
Thank you so much! The earrings are definitely the piece from this collection that receive the most wear. When I initially bought them I paid $175. Boy have the prices changed! I am short (5'3") so the mini were perfect for me. I do not regret the size at all! Sometimes I think of adding the mini in yellow gold, but then I remember my vast list of Tiffany wants. Heh!

Thanks for sharing. I love the earrings! I Contemplated buying them but with the pearls. Would definitely think of getting them again in the future.

There's a video about Elsa Peretti life and deisgna on the Tiffany website or Tiffany YouTube channel (can't remember which one). She created the mesh halter I think sorta of as part of a feminist movement and it sparked quite a bit of controversy. To me it seems like something only a celebrity would wear as it seems useless for everyday life. Haha and I don't think it provides much support!