Opinions on Fur?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiChan1

Jun 14, 2014
I hope nobody will murder me now, but I'm thinking of purchasing a mink fur collar.... I feel like if we all have leather bags, eat meat and drink milk, then it's not really that different that we wear fur... I know of the horrendous conditions that animals must face, but many people work in very poor environments to create the vegan products that many people like to wear, and also the emissions from the acrylic and polyester can cause animals to suffer from disease, birth defects, and polluted environments... I'm personally okay with fur, as we've been wearing it for thousands of years, yet the populations still tend to be, relatively, safe as of recent. I won't judge anyone against fur, or wearing a sable fur coat.... What are your opinions?

I always say if I want to feel fur I'll pet my bunny. I would never wear it, but I don't judge other people for wearing. Faux fur has gotten much nicer over the years, so I really don't see the need for the real thing anymore. But it's your money, and if you don't have a problem with it, then you should buy one.

people choose their own battles - others may be against fur but totally ok with eating animals or wearing leather. i know commercial farming of livestock can also be inhumane (male chicks sent to the grinder/boiling water, etc.) but i personally think it's a harder choice to just buy from small farms vs the convenience of the supermarket especially when you live in the city and day-to-day living is so hectic and people need to eat 3x a day. whereas fur, people buy it occasionally so it's not exactly hard take time and do a bit of research and buy from a company that farms fur ethically or go for preloved or repurposed fur. both, are a need (food & clothing) and both can also be harvested inhumanely but in the case of fur, there's just more alternatives w/c makes it easier for anyone to make a choice. i think that's the difference.

I always say if I want to feel fur I'll pet my bunny. I would never wear it, but I don't judge other people for wearing. Faux fur has gotten much nicer over the years, so I really don't see the need for the real thing anymore. But it's your money, and if you don't have a problem with it, then you should buy one.
Yes, I do have to agree that faux fur has gotten a lot better!! :smile: I remember the early days of faux fur, how itchy and sweaty it made me feel... It's gone a long way!

I have to say, this is something I've been thinking about a lot lately as well! Personally, I have such sensitive skin that I still can't really wear faux fur without breaking into hives from the itchiness. I'm considering investing in some real fur, but a small piece like a vest or a collar. I personally used to have a lot of reservations about real fur and all that, but I figure I eat meat, I drink milk, I eat eggs, I only buy real leather handbags and real leather shoes, so really, what is the difference between that and real fur too?

However, if I could find a faux fur that didn't make me itch, I would choose that over the real thing, mostly to save a little money (which would inevitably go towards a handbag...)

I have absolutely no problem with sustainably trapped wild fur pelts, although I'm not really a big fan of farmed furs. Although nothing does truly compare to the luxurious feeling of sable... I'm in love with the hermes cashmere and sable blend lounge wear. Zibeline :heart:

I adore real fur. There is the option to buy 'origin assured' fur. Faux does not come close in my opinion.

The ethical debate has been done before on TPF. I just think go for it and you will not regret it, guaranteed.

Reactions: blowmybagpipes
I love fur and i guess I'm in the minority here as faux fur doesn't even come close
Before my teenager started voicing her opinion against fur ( with her educated brain that her mother paid for :smile:
I enjoyed a small piece here and there
But I've stopped using and taking them out of the closet altogether because it disturbs my children so much and my maternal instinct always wins ..
But my advice is go to the store and try it out!
And post pictures here real
Quick!!!

I never buy fur and consider it a barbarous and outdated practice. I know that there has been a fashion fur resurrection lately pretending that is contemporary fashion to wear fur, but is not ok for me. ( and I come from a background that used to hunt foxes so it's not just the killing that bothers me) Just because other people do it, it doesn't mean it's acceptable and the debate is far from finished! It's not even began! Numerous environmental and ethical issues, I could not begin to outline here, so do research things thoroughly.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/video-real-price-fur-coat-3171710

I think you started a slippery slope by starting this thread as you will get such different opinions on fur.
Personally I love fur & I wear fur. I also live in a very cold country so it is very practical.
I say wear what you like & don't worry about others opinions

This is still TPF not a fur forum and still a ********ic country as such
People will be different and will voice it out
OP is just trying to get some help here
And that's what we will give her

Everyone has to make choices and every action has repercussions. I have a strong empathetic reaction to animals so this is one area where I am fully conscious. I used to think that you had to be 100% about whatever you did to be fully authentic. I know that if we wait for that to happen we would be unable to move, to act. So, while I wear leather, ( although my bags are pre-owned...still I do it) I still volunteer at the wildlife rescue clinic and donate to PETA on a regular basis. I know that sounds hypocritical. There is an old saying, " a fish can not live in too pure water". So if I waited until I was pure to say something or to act, I wouldn't contribute anything positive. Even the Dali Lama eats meat in the winter but only enough for his health. It's proportion and degree instead of black and white.
There are certain practices that are so reprehensible I make no allowance for...for me. Fur farming is one..and other meat producing practices like veal and mass farming which is a form of torture.
My relatives hunt and I sit at the table and join them. On my own, I prefer vegetarianism. But I don't make a fetish out of it.
To live is to destroy. We all contribute to ending lives so we can eat, to pollution so we can stay warm...on and on. I just try to make the best choice that I can. I have switched to Jane Iredale cosmetics as they don't do animal testing. No big deal. I like Chanel better but it's not worth it to me.
I think politics suck and find it hard to defend any side. But the protection of the innocent seems a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.