Opinions on eloping?!?!

I think Eloping is a great idea and I applaud people who have the nerve to do it!

Bart and I will not be getting married in a church, just because of the cost of it and we are somewhat looked down upon in our town because we got pregnant before marriage and it would cause some sort of huge ridiculous scandal if we got married in the church...We're not religious anyway!

We will be getting married at the court house (date is still a secret though, we've finally decided :biggrin: ) with a small group of people (my parents, his parents and our grandparents) and will be having a small party at our home for all of our friends :smile:

I love weddings. I love seeing the brides in white wedding gowns. I'd love to see my DD walking down the isle with my DH in a beautiful wedding gown. I don't think the size and the budget of the wedding matters as long as you have the ppl you love blessing you to start a new life. So, please don't elope!

I think the idea of eloping is very romantic. I know some people want to share the joy with their family and friends but I think the day you marry is really just about the two , man + wife.

Nicole, you should rent Bridezillas on DVD!! It's really interesting. :biggrin:

If I did plan a wedding for myself, I'd do a small one, nothing too extravagant. I think the idea of a small, romantic wedding with my family, and close friends is perfect.

My parents are paying for it, but a small part of me feels that it is almost a waste to spend 20-30 k on an event that is only 1 day...

This is just my opinion, so don't take offense, but that IS a waste of money. But that's my opinion. I'd never spend that much myself or allow my parents to pay that much for a wedding.

I've never been married but if I ever do get married I don't plan on spending much at all. A lot of people focus on the event and not the fact that they are making a life-long committment and just end up divorced. At least if you put the money towards a house or a BMW or whatever it's yours to keep for sure. I knew someone who did nothing but plan her wedding forever. She'd been with the guy eight years. She finally got married. A year later she was divorced.

I had a nice wedding at about 20k. I don't have any regrets about it bec it was great. i was all for the super small wedding but in the end my parents and hubby convinced me and it was great.
but I understand the down payment part - i would elope with parents. they might be so sad otherwise.

i sometimes work as a dresser at wedding fashion shows and after all of the drama of the shows a wedding must be 400 times worse. plus i never want to see another wedding dress as long as i live. i would definately elope

I had the traditional wedding and love it for myself but I had a cousin who recently married and they 'eloped' down in Jamaica and it was just the two of them and 4-5 very close family members and friends. It was one of the most beautiful weddings ever.

I think a wedding is what you make of it. I've been to large...overdone weddings and people divorced after 2 years and still owe for the wedding! I've been to small, elegant weddings and they were more beautiful and special than the large overdone ones. I've known people to elope and end up having the best weddings ever!
It all depends on WHAT YOU AND FIANCE WANT..THAT'S IT because it is truly all about YOU and it's YOUR day---the two of you! I wish you all the best!

Nicole, you should rent Bridezillas on DVD!! It's really interesting. :biggrin:

If I did plan a wedding for myself, I'd do a small one, nothing too extravagant. I think the idea of a small, romantic wedding with my family, and close friends is perfect.

LMAO I totally rented one of the DVDs in that serious...scared the crap out of me and my fiancee!!! LOL

I am thinking 'nay' on the eloping now, but a 'yes' to a smaller wedding...under 100 people...I think my parents would just be so sad if they didn't see me walk down the aisle!

If I ever got mar....marr....mar....wed to a girl, I always had eloping in mind. I'd take her to the Tuscan region of Italy, and as we were biking through some quaint town, I'd pull her into a local church, grab the nearest little boy for the ring bearer, little girl for the flowers, and say our vows there in front of the local priest. After that, we'd go home and throw a huge reception in a Moose lodge or something kitschy like that, and just get tore up with friends and family.
I mean, I never gew up with vision of me walking down the aisle in my Armani Tux with doves flying around and all eyes on me, so I'm A-OK with eloping. Of course, I'd have to clear it with the gf. I think her father REALLY wants to give her away. He's very traditional..even though he's alredy giving away his other daughter. Anyway, I say do what you feel comfortable. Yes it's for you two, but you do have to consider the feelings of the family. Pissing off the inlaws right off the bat isn't a good idea.

My hubby and I eloped and it was wonderful, just the two of us. We've been married over 7 years and I've never regretted not having a big wedding. I would definately take the money for a down pymt. on house. A small intimate beach wedding sounds lovely, my best friends did that, no regrets for them either.

Sounds perfect :love:

Many of my friends have eloped and have spoken about how wonderful it was to have only their immediate family there, or in some instances just themselves and two friends as witnesses. Later, they had parties (that cost well under $20 - $30k) as a way of celebrating with their friends and larger families. This is a very attractive idea to me. I think you are smart to think of this as an option. The cost is definitely something to think about when planning a wedding - especially when the same services for a "non-wedding" function (like a party after you have eloped/had a small wedding) will easily cost you 20 - 30% less.