Opinions needed on a second dog

afsweet

O.G.
Aug 7, 2008
i appreciate any help from any type of dog owner!

we currently have 1 dog (pomeranian, 9 months old) and i am thinking about getting another dog to keep him company. he doesn't get a chance to play very much with other dogs, but he plays wonderfully and LOVES other dogs. our neighbors who have dogs aren't out often enough to have play sessions with reggie and i feel guilty because he gets beyond excited to see another dog. my first choice would be a german shepherd because i love big dogs and they are an extremely intelligent and loyal breed. i don't worry about a bigger dog hurting our pomeranian because reggie has practically only been social with big dogs (the papillon in our neighborhood is unfriendly, and the other small dog is always kept inside).

so what i want to know is:
1. are there any german shepherd owners here and if so, your experiences with this breed are welcomed
2. what would be a good alternative (golden retriever, etc.)
3. when would be the best time to bring a new dog into our household
4. how long does it usually take for a dog to get used to a new pet
5. how do you go about finding a breeder? i've looked at shelters to adopt but i really haven't found a puppy that is a good mix of breeds (i've seen so many pitbull mixes but that isn't for me)

for reference, we live in (own, not rent) a townhouse with a larger than average yard but no fence so far. i am looking into getting a new dog but would prefer to take my time and get a dog during the springtime (not next week). the dog would be able to get exercise since i already take our pomeranian out at least 10 times a day. space is not really an issue since another neighbor has a german shepherd and it is do-able in a townhouse.

thank you so much for any input, even from pet owners who are NOT german shepherd owners :tup:

1. My family had a german shepherd for a month while we were looking for a new home for it on behalf of a family friend. It got along really well with all of the other pets and family members and we enjoyed having it around. She was a great dog and I would probably get another given the chance.
2. I LOVED my golden he was the best dog ever... a lab might be good, maybe a boxer, or even just a medium sized mutt from the pound
3. I would do it before the dog you have now is too solid in its belief that your house is "his" house. Introduce them on neutral ground (in a park, even on the street, that sort of thing)
4. We have found that cats are hissy with each other for a while but depending on the dogs they seem to accept each other pretty quickly. This obviously varies by dog.
5. Don't knock the pitbull mixes - We had a lab/pitty when I was little and he was an incredible dog. He held up to kids pulling his tail/ears (we were 1 and 3 when he joined us) and putting him is halloween costumes and protected us and was very even tempered. If you are set on a breeder call the local breed club (eg. Toronto Golden Retriever Club, that sort of thing). Some shelters will let you leave a request form that if they for example get a lab or lab cross they will put it on hold and call you if your name is at the top of the list for that type.

I would really suggest fencing in that yard as soon as possible - every big dog we've ever had liked to run and really we couldn't take it on enough walks and bike rides to exhaust it - the best thing was to let them play freely in the fenced backyard (supervised of course)

thank you for your input. i'm very eager to fence in our backyard, even just for our pomeranian because he LOVES being outdoors- we'll have to go through the county to get permission first because our neighborhood has covenants and all that red tape to get through. we're currently considering a golden, husky, or a shepherd- those are the top contenders so far. i'm very open to suggestions though!

I've had german shepherds "forever" and they are absolutely wonderful dogs. They are a working dog, and therefore they need to be in an environment where you keep their mind busy. If they are raised and trained properly where they recognize their owner as the "alpha dog", then IMO there is not a better breed anywhere.

My two GSD's have been raised around my Mom's Pomeranian and they have been taught to be gentle around a small dog, but having said this, I do not leave them around small dogs without supervision. It is just too easy for a large dog to playfully jump on a small dog and hurt it, without ever meaning to.

Hope this helps!!

thank you. part of why i'd like to go through a breeder is also so i can get a puppy and not an almost full grown dog. having the dogs get to know each other while still on the same level would work best in my mind. i'm hoping i can also be stern enough to assert control over a german shepherd (physically and mentally establish dominance; i'm 5'3 90-95 pounds)

thank you. part of why i'd like to go through a breeder is also so i can get a puppy and not an almost full grown dog. having the dogs get to know each other while still on the same level would work best in my mind. i'm hoping i can also be stern enough to assert control over a german shepherd (physically and mentally establish dominance; i'm 5'3 90-95 pounds)

Even with a puppy, I still think you need to be a bit careful as Pom's are so tiny. Puppies are so energetic that they don't think they are being too rough, when sometimes they are. As far as your size goes, I don't think that's an issue at all! I am 5'1", and both of my dogs really respect me. It's not so much physical strength required, but rather that they mentally respect you.

Even with a puppy, I still think you need to be a bit careful as Pom's are so tiny. Puppies are so energetic that they don't think they are being too rough, when sometimes they are. As far as your size goes, I don't think that's an issue at all! I am 5'1", and both of my dogs really respect me. It's not so much physical strength required, but rather that they mentally respect you.

yes supervision will definitely be provided. a neighbor has a rather large german shepherd and she is probably 4'11 or so and somehow restrains her dog- he was trained as a guard dog and absolutely goes crazy when he sees another dog...she no longer walks him out in the open because of that and before she used to put a muzzle on him. i'm looking for a very loyal family companion though :smile:

yes supervision will definitely be provided. a neighbor has a rather large german shepherd and she is probably 4'11 or so and somehow restrains her dog- he was trained as a guard dog and absolutely goes crazy when he sees another dog...she no longer walks him out in the open because of that and before she used to put a muzzle on him. i'm looking for a very loyal family companion though :smile:

I would say don't judge all Shepherds by that dog's behavior!! My Shepherds are wonderful, socialized dogs that can go anywhere and behave themselves beautifully. Shepherds are truly a wonderful breed, extremely loyal and loving!:heart:

that's very true and exactly why i love them so much. they're wonderful guard dogs when trained to be and wonderful family dogs too. i love our pomeranian but he's not the same as a german shepherd ;)

I've never had GSDs but my best friend had one and I think they are Super dogs!

I didn't notice if your avatar says where you live, but contact the GSD Club of America and your state or local GSD club to start your search for a reputable breeder.

Not all puppies in a litter are show quality - so there are very well-bred pet quality pups out there if you do your research. A good breeder will hold your hand and be there for you through all the life stages of your dog, and help with advice re living with the Pom, etc.

Good luck! :smile:

I'm personally all about adopting an adult dog because then you know their full personality, don't have to housebreak them (in some circumstances-but this is information you will kow before getting the dog), and they are also lss likely to get adopted by others. Not ADULT dog, but something 1-2 years old. That's obviously just a suggestion, but if you want puppies, there are plenty available for adoption! Lots of full litters too. Many puppies that are born in rescue and available for adoption when they are 8 weeks old (which is the same as a breeder). You can seach by age, so type in "baby" if you're looking for a puppy. Believe me, there are ABSOLUTELY german shephrd puppies available for adoption in your area. I just did an INCREDIBLY quick search for german shephar pups in MD and this is what I found:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12784355
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12938355
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12915680
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13004143
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10365732
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12996664

Also- this rescue in MD is a high kill shelter, and they often get in "desirable" dogs. They have a lot of german shephard mixes and it wold be great to save a lifeand adopt from here:
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MD247.html

Anyway, I obviously have no idea where in MD you are located and I just posted a few search results that I found (of many!). My point is that there are a TON of dogs and puppies out there to be adopted. You can also check nearby states. Petfinder is an invaluabe resource IMO. You will find shelters/rescues that you didn't even know existed. A great thing about rescues (which they do better than shelters, imo) is that they know their dogs really well and will take a lot of time to match you with the perfect dog. They know the qualities of each individual dog that they have and you can take your dog in to find a new addition that matches perfectly with your family. There are also breed-specific rescues that you might want to look into, but I think you can find the breeds your looking for at many places.
There are tons of German Shephards and labs and golden retrievers available for adoption, but you shouldn't ovelook pitbulls. When raised correctly(AKA not trained to fight dogs and be aggressive), they are one of the most gentle, loving, well behaved, and intelligent breeds.
PLEASE PM me if you have any questions or need help navigating petfinder. I will literally spend hours on petfinder to help you find THE perfect dog there. You really won't have to "settle" for anything. I adopted my two dogs and it's one of the most incredible things I have ever done.

thank you so much chelsssea! i'd love to adopt and wouldn't really mind adopting a dog who is already a year old as long as he/she would get along with our pom. i also get very attached to animals and would feel awful adopting an older dog (5 years and up) and having it pass away in only a few years. i'll definitely keep checking petfinder (not sure how often they update, everyday?) and hopefully we'll find a new companion for our family!