Opinions needed New Prada bag purchase... Patent or Matt??

poojles

Nov 7, 2010
I've fallen for this lovely little Prada bag. It's available in various shades (which can be seen on the Prada website). Right now I am leaning towards the shiny leather version: BN2010 ZU0 F0236. But Prada also produced a version in even shinier patent: BN2010 ZU0 F0566. If presented with a choice I can be very indecisive so I'm torn between my love of patent and the beautiful shiny leather version.

Any thoughts?? as I mull this over (whilst waiting for my nearest Prada outlet, in Brown Thomas, Dublin, to reduce them in the Christmas sale)...

Attachments

Aprilmay

bag lover
O.G.
Aug 9, 2009
Ireland/North Carolina
Prada patent does not have a good reputation I'm afraid I know others here will back me up. I had a cream leather (Naplak Gesso)and colours seem to seep in under the finish and cannot be removed and I thought it was a problem because of the light colour but it can happen with other colours too.I see you live in my neck of the woods too ;)-I've never gone to the BT's Christmas sale is it any good for bags ? I was in Prada during the summer but they didn't have a great selection in the sale

poojles

Nov 7, 2010
Prada patent does not have a good reputation I'm afraid I know others here will back me up. I had a cream leather (Naplak Gesso)and colours seem to seep in under the finish and cannot be removed and I thought it was a problem because of the light colour but it can happen with other colours too.I see you live in my neck of the woods too ;)-I've never gone to the BT's Christmas sale is it any good for bags ? I was in Prada during the summer but they didn't have a great selection in the sale
Thanks for the info. re: Prada patent. To be fair my love for their patent may be coloured by my only experience of it, which was with their saddle bags in Fall 2001, which had a grainy texture and were made in dark colours, so I think that may have rendered the patent a bit more robust. I will take your experience and advice on board. So it looks like I will be giving the patent a bye.

As for the BT sale, it is where I bought my first Prada bag years ago, so it has fond memories for me! You are right, they don't tend to reduce everything, for example they keep anything they perceive as a potential Prada classic at full price, like the Gaufre. Last year they only reduced the Gaufre colours that had not sold well in Ireland, like the white or silver. So it can be annoying that something you want may stay stubbornly in the non-reduced section. But they do give 40% off from the start of the sale, so their reductions are decent. Mind you, if like me you live in the North, then the euro exchange rate does not always help the price.

I don't think they will consider the bag I have mentioned here as a classic, so I'm hopeful it may be reduced. Based on what you say, if I buy one, I'll definitely go for the shiny leather now as opposed to the patent, so your advice has been very helpful. Many thanks!

rracla

old anglo lady in CA
Nov 6, 2010
Southern California
splendid, it's settled. i would have wanted the Prada 'shiny' leather, personally. so, i'm delighted that's your choice. i am a 'patent' lover, as well. but, i think my affinity for Prada 'shiny' surpasses my adoration of 'patent.' please, oh do allow us a photo of your new Prada baby when she arrives! we will all live vicariously through YOU :yahoo:

poojles

Nov 7, 2010
splendid, it's settled. i would have wanted the Prada 'shiny' leather, personally. so, i'm delighted that's your choice. i am a 'patent' lover, as well. but, i think my affinity for Prada 'shiny' surpasses my adoration of 'patent.' please, oh do allow us a photo of your new Prada baby when she arrives! we will all live vicariously through YOU :yahoo:
Thanks for posting your opinion. I'll certainly do that if I'm lucky enough to be able to get it. It's all dependent on whether they reduce this particular model in the sale and if I have the money on the day. The sale starts on St. Stephen's (boxing) day so it's bad timing right after Christmas when people are usually broke... I'd better get saving! At least now I know which one I'm aiming for. Dark green shiny leather it is!