opinions/advice please?

d&blover84

Bag Hoarder
Dec 8, 2008
Ok, so I'm normally a coach girl. I've always wanted an LV but thought I could not afford one. Well little did I know that a speedy 30 is only $700. (for certain styles) Anyway, I went to the coach outlet today, fully intending to spend a grand, but couldn't find anything I wanted. It was all icky made for factory stuff. Well, tomorrow is my first wedding anniversary and hubby offered to buy my first LV. So we go to Buckhead Mall in Atl, GA and head straight to the Louis Vuitton store. Well, I ask for the Damier ebony speedy 30, and the Monogram speedy 30. I knew I wanted one of the two. So the total jerk SA pulls the damier right off the shelf, but he goes into some cabinet for the monogram one. It's literally folded in thirds wrapped in plastic, smooshed flat. He pops it open (looks really unattractive) and sets em on the case for me to decide. I start picking em up (I'm really, really shy about touching these bags. Afraid I'll get my hand slapped) and I notice these are super lightweight. They felt like plastic. Literally cheap, like a knock off. No offense please ladies, but were these just demos? OR are the real LV's just really light and non expensive feeling? I picked it up and rummaged through it and it just didn't scream $700 bag to me. I dunno if any of you care for coach, but not too long ago they had the graffiti tattersall domed satchels, which were in the coated leather (canvas, whatever). I assumed the LV would be thick like the Coach canvas was, but it was way thin. The whole meandering point to my story is to ask, are LV's supposed to be thin and kinda cheap feeling? Or did he maybe let me touch a demo or something. I'm really confused, cause I've always wanted an LV but it just didn't seem worth it when I "felt" them. Are the more expensive LV bags made of thicker stuff? Maybe I've built it up in my head that they're supposed to be incredible? I dunno. I seriously mean no offense to anyone here, I'm just confused with the quality of the exterior canvas. Thanks for any opinions....try not to blast me, lol. And please remember...I am so unfamiliar with LV it's not even funny.

Speedies are shipped flat - so it's normal that it would be creased up to begin with.

The monogram print is coated canvas - it does it for some people, and doesn't for others. There are a lot of reasons why people buy the bags - e.g. history of the company, family members that have always carried it. As you are new to Louis Vuitton - it sounds a lot different from what you were expecting ? It may grow on you, but then again, it might not. :yes:

I'd say your observations were correct, my experience is that the speedys do pop out of the jacket like you described. Once they are carried and full, they take on a much nicer look, but the canvas bags are very lightweight. On the upside, my LV damier wallet has been dropped on concrete, in a puddle and in my son's orange juice and NOTHING hurts it, it wipes easily and its been indestructable for 5 years now.

thanks you guys. the only reason i want one is so i can say i have one. and i really am attracted to the design, i love the monogram print. plus the speedy is an attractive style. the whole thing that got me though was how inexpensive it felt. i've seen others carrying the lv monogram and it looks great. like you said orczy, when they're worn in they're gorgeous. they just lay better i guess. maybe i should buy an older one off ebay or somewhere.

I totally understand -- when I got my first wallet I felt the same way about the monogram -- "THIS IS IT ???" -- they do get more supple with use and my wallet is quite indestructible.

Heck, when I got my limited edition Weekender -- it was kind of scrunched -- and I swear I almost took it back (SO GLAD I DID NOT).

You may find that the coated canvas just isn't for you -- nothing wrong with that !! Hope you enjoy whatever present you do get and happy anniversary !!

The canvas on the speedy is rather thin which makes it amazingly lightweight. It can be surprising especially if you are used to paying less than that for a soft buttery leather bag. My favorite leather bag of all time was a $428 Marc by Marc Jacobs faridah which has the nicest, softest, buttery leather of all time, but holy mother of bob, when my stuff is in it, it gets too heavy on my shoulder. In comparison, I paid several hundred more for the speedy but it's so lightweight and chic, imo it was worth it.

I understand that the canvas varies by style, some styles it's meant to be more fluid and drapey so it's a thinner canvas, while some styles are meant to be more structured and they use a canvas that's a bit thicker. I have a LV that's lined with cowhide so the canvas is rigid and thick...perhaps something along those lines is what you were thinking it would be like. I'd say look at other styles...another style may speak to your heart...if the speedy doesn't, I wouldn't get it just yet. This is an anniversary gift so you want it to be a special piece you will carry for many years.

i've seen others carrying the lv monogram and it looks great. like you said orczy, when they're worn in they're gorgeous. they just lay better i guess. maybe i should buy an older one off ebay or somewhere.

They don't take long to soften up. I got my speedy in March and it came folded and had creases all over it. I have used it daily and the creases seemed to be nearly unnoticable within a week or so, if you look carefully, there's still a little crease but the average joe wouldn't notice it, that's how minimal it is. It has gotten a bit softer, more worn in. It's very pretty and I have no regrets. I was sure I would have a bit of buyer's remorse and fortunately I did not!
I feel like a million bucks wearing it, even if I'm just in jeans and a hoody!

I think you should go for a more structured bag with an interior lining, like the Galliera pm or the Manhattan pm or gm, actually my very first LV was the popincourt Haut, great size, great price and very substantial with all the leather trimmings. Well, that is my 2cents, I really think you should go to LV again, spend some time browsing, and try a bunch of different styles, do not be shy about taking your time and touching, feeling and trying them all on, if you do see a pricier bag you like, do try eBay, but be very careful and try to find a very reputable seller, good luck on your LV quest:biggrin:

You can try other style, maybe one with cotton or microfibre lining, those may feel sturdier...
But Speedy and Neverfull is made to be light and unstructured, but I wouldn't say "cheap feeling"... Thick doesn't mean durable
LV canvas is more durable than leather, if you search for older bags, the canvas is usually in almost perfect condition, is the leather that doesn't hold up as good...

I was surprised too the first time I went to the store and bought a Keepall... I didn't knew they come folded...

I wonder if you would be happier with a mini-lin speedy or perhaps a Batignolles Horizontal -- it's still the same monogram canvas, but perhaps a different-styled purse would feel more substantial to you. Play around a little in the store with a few different ones.

Quality does not weight onto how heavy it is.. It more into the quality of the bag.. every though it is very lightweight, it will last for decades.... it suppose to be lightweight so once you put all your stuff in there it will be managable instead of the bag being heavy already and put more stuff into your handbag it harder to manage.. If the speedy are not for you, what about the Neverfull MM.. It's a very durable bag that can literally fit everything in there and hold up to 500 lbs..

I have 4 Coach bags and I gotta tell you my Lvs have faired much better then my Coaches. Lvs are AMAZING quality. Dont be fulled by how light the speedies are. You will grow to love the light feeling when the bag is filled and it doesnt make your arm soar

Well In my opinion I like the look of some of the coach leather bags..I just can not handle the 'made in china' thing.. I never could!
So for me ..it's more than the feel..it's to know who is behind it and where and how it's made.. i agree with some of the posts that maybe you need to look for a more structured bag..or just love LV for what it is ...an amazing French high end designer timeless piece!

I actually like that the Speedy is light weight because honestly some of my Coach bags are so heavy I can barely carry them when they have my stuff in them, like my two Legacy Lilys and Gigis. I love them to death, but I need to take them out in short intervals because they KILL my arm.

I recently got my first Louis Vuitton bag, the Rose Speedy 30 *points to avatar* and I love everything about it. It looks beautiful, I can fill it with my stuff and it is still light weight, and I love how the lack of structure looks when it's carried.

If the Speedy is not doing it for you though, don't just buy it so you can say you bought a LV. You'll never use it if you don't love it. I've wanted a LV bag for the longest time and have been slowly saving up, but was waiting for the perfect one. I found it in my Rose Speedy. Just looking at it makes me happy. You should try to find a LV bag that will do that for you (though I warn you, I think once you start buying LV bags you'll have trouble stopping at just the one, I already know what LV bag I'll be buying next ;)).