OPINION: Termination of pregnancy due to sex determination

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm extremely pro-choice and, as someone else said, I really feel like ultimately it's the woman's decision. Personally, I think that terminating a pregnancy for that reason would be flat out stupid if you want to have a kid anyway... but that's just me. I do feel like a woman's reasons for wanting/having an abortion should be private and personal, even if they are :censor: ridiculous.

I think this topic is a no-brainer for most of us. Also, if there are people who feel they'd perhaps do this, I doubt they'd admit it on this forum anyway.

I feel like it would be absurd to terminate a PLANNED and welcome pregnancy because of the gender of a child and I wouldn't do it.

However, I also wouldn't condemn someone who made that choice. It is, afterall, the woman's body and her life. I'm very pro-choice, so I guess I believe that, until a fetus is viable, a woman has a right to decide whether or not she will devote her body to nurturing it. Therefore, I could never say that no one has the "right" to terminate a pregnancy for these reasons.

But nonetheless, it seems awfully cold and calculating.

Maybe someone who would do such a thing really isn't "ready" morally and emotionally, to have kids at all?

eff said:
I'm extremely pro-choice and, as someone else said, I really feel like ultimately it's the woman's decision. Personally, I think that terminating a pregnancy for that reason would be flat out stupid if you want to have a kid anyway... but that's just me. I do feel like a woman's reasons for wanting/having an abortion should be private and personal, even if they are :censor: ridiculous.

I read your post right after I posted mine! I think I'm basically on the same page.

What are these people THINKING? If you get pregnant-- and don't like the sex-- put the baby up for adoption!!! There are so many wonderful couples who are unable to have children naturally. And, it's selfish people like THAT who could help make those unfortunate people into parents.

angelica said:
I am total pro-choice and I would NEVER even consider this. In fact I am saying that this thought has NEVER crossed my mind in my entire life. Ever. It hasn't crossed my mind because I am sane. Seriously. People who will abort a healthy fetus to have their dream gender must be insane. These types should not be reproducing anyways. If anyone out there wants a guaranteed gender, adopt a child for gods sakes.

I agree :yes:

lamiastella said:

Would you terminate your pregnancy if you found out your baby was of a certain sex?
I am 100% against this type of action (for the same reasons that have already been mentioned in this thread).

Termination of fetus based on gender is totally wrong. Period.

LivinLuxuriously said:
And usually a doctor can't tell the sex of a baby until 16 weeks or later. That's pretty late, IMO, to be terminating a pregnancy.

Actually I think they do CVS (chori. Villi Sampling) which is extracting the villi for DNA determination (as well as diesease/gender) around 7 weeks of pregnancy. It's extremely expensive ($1000-2000).

CVS is often used for Paternity Testing pre-birth, though it is risky.

northernbelle33 said:
In the future, I would like to have 3 or 5 children, and I would really prefer that they all be girls. If I had already had two boys and found out I was having a third boy, I would consider terminating and then trying for a girl. Due to some very personal issues, I don't know if I could deal with having only boys. I feel that I need to have a daughter in the future.

Marriage and children are years away for me, but as of now, this is how I feel.

You sound very young...I think your stance may change as the years pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.