opinion on investment pieces : which type of shoes will be used most /have bigger "impact"?

mellecyn

O.G.
Feb 28, 2006
I´m looking at shoes that can be worn on a regular day, and looking at something thats cool and not plain classic but not overly trendy either. I had a little bonus at work, so it´s something "special" that makes an impact on your outfit (as it will cost more than my usual 200-300 € budget.)
I´m looking at Chanel slingbacks in black, or tall boots equestrian style, or ballerinas (any brand) or Prada slingbacks.

I invested in a pair of short leather boots that I wear frequently in work and social settings. I think it depends on where you want to wear them but boots, flats, and the Chanel sling backs are all great choices!

I agree that walkability is key. I think that a good quality shoe always elevates an outfit you can see it in the cut of the vamp, the shape of the heel, etc etc What you need to consider before handing over the CC are your personal style and taste - this will help you decide on what type of shoe you are looking for and also which brand do you find most comfortable. Chanel sling backs are nice but personally I think the flat version have more staying power than the heels. I love the MB Maysale 50mm mules which also come in a sling backs version they are super comfy and work for pretty much every occasion. Chanel classic ballet flats are also super comfortable and come in lots of fun colours and materials so are always a great option for a splurge. For equestrian style boots, the Hermes Jumping is dreamy and the Kelly lock just adds that little extra - they are very pricey though :-s

Reactions: mellecyn
Having bought Chanels, Hermes Jumpings in a few colours and some Prada shoes, my advice is to go for a pair of classic Chanel Ballerines. I love to walk for hours, everywhere and those are really made for Parisian cobbles. They give better support than Repetto. I wear mine travelling and they last for years, every season they release beautiful variations, seasonal and classic. Get the right cut, plain or quilted are slightly different, and you won't regret it.

Chanel Ballerinas, the ultimate chic and comfortable shoe, that is a classic. I can walk all day in these. Not sure if you consider them too "classic" though? What if you got them in a colour other than the usual black and beige/black?

OK thank you for your input, yes I definitely see the versatility of true flat shoes. I want something versatile, like for max wearability, but equally I like shoes that elevate automatically an outfit. And I am afrad the Chanel classic flats are too classic. I have bought the classic ballerinas non stop (5-6 pairs) from 2006 to 2015...including a similar quilted design :smile:
Maybe something pointy would give an edge? (Balenciaga, Jil Sander, Prada...)

I think you're looking for styles that are classic with a twist? If yes, my suggestions would be:

1. Nicholas Kirkwood - Beya or Casatti lines. I have 2 beya styles - they definitely "make" an outfit
2. Valentino Rockstuds - maybe not the typical pumps, either a fun colour or a different style (I bought sandals in Poudre)
3. Dior Slingbacks
4. Balenciaga pointed flats with their BB logo - not sure what they are called.
5. Aquazzura - either the serpenti or tequila styles

All I can think of right now. Will get back if I can recall more.

These are all iconic to those who know, yet they elevate your outfit because of (mostly) subtle details to those who don't know high end shoes.

Reactions: LPR200
I think ankle boots of some kind will always be classic. Looking back, I know I've worn my sock and chunky boots the most, and the latter is further cemented by all the combat boots I've been wearing non-stop. Gives me height, is wearable, comfortable, not delicate or high maintenance and protects your feet.

My most wearable shoes are Gucci Princetowns, Stuart Weitzman 50/50 boots and Prada ballets and loafers. No comment on Chanel as I don’t wear the label but know that many swear by them.