Opinion on dark handles?

bar724

Jul 3, 2010
I purchased two old school MABs this week. One in eggplant and one in stonewash chocolate. Both of them have darkened handles. At first it didnt bother me and I thought that it kind of added to the whole "old school RM" thing but now I'm starting to worry that it's going to look bad. What's everyone's opinions on the dark handles? Lovin my bags has a service to clean handles but it's $185.

I don't have pics yet bc they haven't arrived. Maybe I'm stressing over nothing...

My Wine Mattie has dark handles although not that dark... I was afraid that it will further darken as time goes by. I tried rubbing a small portion with "baby wipes" to test what will happen and it didn't rub off any color from the handle so I did the rest of and I was surprised that the wipes lifted off some dirt! Maybe it's my imagination but the darkening subtled a little bit. I'm not suggesting that you do it but that's what I did with mine...

i eyed the chocolate mab you bought before on bonanza and....was hesitant because of the handles. I am interested in seeing the picts once you get it. The idea of doing handle repair or LMB treatment on something you just bought sounds painful...BUT if you really love the bag it could be worthwhile. I have my eye on 2 bags that need handle repair or color and havent gambled on one yet, but i am very tempted.

Also, dark handles, especially on brown, could be o.k., or tonal to the leather and not look dirty or worn.

My fingers are crossed for you... please keep us updated!!!

Darkened handles are a deal breaker for me, but that is just my personal preference. I know for others it does not bother them. I have sent a Balenciaga to LMB to have the handles 'cleaned'. I asked them to only clean them, but when they came back, I personally was not happy with the finished product. They not only clean them, but they also color them too and IMO they looked and felt shiny and plastic-like, not like the original leather/handles would have looked. I know others are happy with this and it's not an issue, so I guess it's all in what you like/prefer.

I don't have a before pic, but here's a pic of the handles that were 'cleaned' by LMB:
DSC_0359_2.jpg

DSC_0358_2.jpg

It doesn't bother me. I kind of like the look, but then I like when my bags look aged and weathered. I think I've seen threads on the forum about fixing darkened handles yourself at home using cornstarch to draw out the oils, but I haven't tried this method myself.

I'm jealous that you were able to get your hands on Eggplant!