Opinion of Purple Crash & Chocolate Crash Samples

Chamois

Apr 20, 2008
After scanning some of these BE threads, I see that some of you are waiting to see a sample of some of the new fall leather colors. I do have a sample of the Purple Crash and Chocolate Crash that was sent to me a while ago. Both are very, very pretty...the chocolate looks a little bronze at times, and the purple, well, it's a gorgeous plummy, grapey, winey color...unlike any color I've ever seen before, especially in leather. (I'm a purple lover, so I admit I'm a little prejudiced!)

I've looked at these samples in a variety of lighting, and here's my opinion: I LOVE how the chocolate crash and purple crash look in low indoor lighting, indirect lighting, or an overcast day. I do not like them in bright sunlight or under bright lighting. I just think they look too metallic, too shiny, too reflective (especially the purple crash since it's a brighter color)...and I'm looking at a small swatch, I'm not sure if I can imagine a large bag in this material. If you love a shiny metallic bag, though, these leather colors are as pretty as you can get.

BTW, I'm going to measure the thickness of the samples with a micrometer...just by feel, it appears to me that the purple crash sample is thinner leather (i.e. more flexible) than the chocolate crash. I have a black crash, so I'll measure the thickness on that as well, since many of you have a bag in that color. Of course, I have no idea if these swatches are cut from the actual leather run that will be used...

Of course, you really need to feel/see the actual samples for yourself...
It will be interesting so get everyone else's thoughts!

Oh...one more thing. My sample looks like it has a bit more red in it than what the sample looks like in the brochure PDF file, which to me looks a little more "grapey"...a little more blue in it.

After much thought, I have to say that I am not going to do any Crash colors this fall. I had the Purple Crash sample and I liked it but did not fall in love with it. It had to much of a foil look for me and I worry about that with the Chocolate too. I am looking forward to getting the Chocolate crash to make the final decision.

After much thought, I have to say that I am not going to do any Crash colors this fall. I had the Purple Crash sample and I liked it but did not fall in love with it. It had to much of a foil look for me and I worry about that with the Chocolate too. I am looking forward to getting the Chocolate crash to make the final decision.

Yes, exactly! Purple crash reminded me of that foil Christmas wrapping paper! Here's a few photos...natural light was taken on top of my black crash bag...artificial light taken in my "studio" on top of a Bounty paper towel ;)

Attachments

• ChocNat.JPG
    ChocNat.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Choc.JPG
    Choc.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 58
  • PNat.JPG
    PNat.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Purple.JPG
    Purple.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 68
Yes, exactly! Purple crash reminded me of that foil Christmas wrapping paper! Here's a few photos...natural light was taken on top of my black crash bag...artificial light taken in my "studio" on top of a Bounty paper towel ;)
Darn it!!! I can tell by the Purple Crash photo that the Chocolate is going to be a disappointment for me IRL. Love the Black Crash backdrop....truly I do, but now I know that the crashes are not going to be for me. Dang it!

Yah :crybaby: based on the review and the pics its just not feasible for me to buy something that is soo based on one season's trends...and its just too shiny for summer wear. I really liked the concept, but the "foil" ness of it is too much for me.

Thank you for the review. At one point I was considering the chocolate crash but the more I hear reviews of this sample and the more pics I see of this I just don't like it. This is my problem I think I will like the way it looks indoors but I would hate how shiny it would be out in the sun. I don't like the shiny metallic look so I am thinking these crash colors just aren't for me at all.

Now see, I love the purple crash, and thinks it works fantastically against a neutral clothing backdrop, after seeing the swatch live! I guess it's good we don't all like the same exact thing!

Now see, I love the purple crash, and thinks it works fantastically against a neutral clothing backdrop, after seeing the swatch live! I guess it's good we don't all like the same exact thing!

I agree. I think it's an amazingly unique color.

I'd be more tempted to call this "PLUM Crash" than purple. It's gorgeous.