Opinion needed. Sauge vs Gris Mouette

Nov 23, 2008
Dear tpf members!

I have a tough decision to make and would love hear your opinion .

I am hunting for a 25 birkin in Gris Mouette Togo leather.

Now I am offered a 25 birkin in sauge but swift leather. My concern for the swift leather is, will it get slouch from time to time? Is it hard to maintain? I never had swift leather and worry if in could handle it, certain color is richer in swift leather but is sauge better in swift or Togo?

Should I take the offer or wait till Gris Mouette shows up? It’s also a seasonal color may or may not back in stock.

It’s such a dilemma !! Attached are the pictures from internet

Any opinion is appreciated! IMG_1487.jpgIMG_1516427387.775673.jpg

Both swift and togo are easy to maintain in a B25, so your most important choice is whether a mid-grey (GM) or mid-grey-green (S) is the better match for your wardrobe.

Can I suggest:
- take a photo or two of your wardrobe with your main clothes in it. Do it in the best light possible so that the colours are as near to real life as possible, and
- take a favourite item or two of clothing into the H store.
With your photos and your favourite items, you will be able to see if the Sauge compliments things in your wardrobe. If it doesn't thrill you, then you will know it is not the right colour for you, and you can safely turn it down and wait for the gris mouette.

My suggestion is limited, of course, to you being able to go into the store and see the B25 in real life. If you are not able to do this, take a look through the colour reference threads and also do a search through the forum using each colour as the search item, so that you can see real photos taken by tpf'ers, rather than the store ones. You can then hold up these images next to your real clothes, to see if they compliment.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Both swift and togo are easy to maintain in a B25, so your most important choice is whether a mid-grey (GM) or mid-grey-green (S) is the better match for your wardrobe.

Can I suggest:
- take a photo or two of your wardrobe with your main clothes in it. Do it in the best light possible so that the colours are as near to real life as possible, and
- take a favourite item or two of clothing into the H store.
With your photos and your favourite items, you will be able to see if the Sauge compliments things in your wardrobe. If it doesn't thrill you, then you will know it is not the right colour for you, and you can safely turn it down and wait for the gris mouette.

My suggestion is limited, of course, to you being able to go into the store and see the B25 in real life. If you are not able to do this, take a look through the colour reference threads and also do a search through the forum using each colour as the search item, so that you can see real photos taken by tpf'ers, rather than the store ones. You can then hold up these images next to your real clothes, to see if they compliment.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Thank you for your suggestion!
Both color goes well with my closet since they are both neutral.
My main concern is if the swift leather will lose its shape from time to time .

GM & sauge, although they are both grey, they are both quite different. While sauge is has a mix of grey+green spectrum like @azukitea said, GM is a true cool grey.

As for leather, Swift is a beautiful understated leather. i might be biased since I owned one and by far its my favorite leather.

But if you are hesistant, I would suggest to wait for what you trully wants which is the GM togo. Togo is one of current H durable leather, and I dont think you should settle any less if that is what your heart trully wants.

But do discuss with your SA on the possibility as GM are rare nowadays.

Thank you for your suggestion!
Both color goes well with my closet since they are both neutral.
My main concern is if the swift leather will lose its shape from time to time .

Swift won't slouch much in a bag as small as a B25. There may be a little bit at the bottom after many years but It's more of an issue for a B35 where the slouch can become very noticeable.

GM & sauge, although they are both grey, they are both quite different. While sauge is has a mix of grey+green spectrum like @azukitea said, GM is a true cool grey.

As for leather, Swift is a beautiful understated leather. i might be biased since I owned one and by far its my favorite leather.

But if you are hesistant, I would suggest to wait for what you trully wants which is the GM togo. Togo is one of current H durable leather, and I dont think you should settle any less if that is what your heart trully wants.

But do discuss with your SA on the possibility as GM are rare nowadays.

I have been informed that if I turn this offer down I mayn’t get GM since no one can guarantee if they will have it back in stock.

I never had swift before, I may just stick with this offer and appreciate it.

Reactions: papertiger
if u wanted a true grey u should go for gm.

i would say skip this offer since it isn't grey and it isn't Togo which were your criteria in the first place

That’s what I am screaming inside of me!!! But if I turn this offer down still no one can guarantee me to get me a GM.
Therefore I may just appreciate this swift leather and see that’s its like

You must love the B when you see it. If it does not make your heart sing, do not buy! Despite the 'threats' of rarity, GM is not going away in the immediate future, so if you do not LOVE the sauge swift B whenyou see it, then do not settle for it.
It is very hard to turn down a bag, but if you read through many of the threads in this forum, you will see this advice given over and over again. You will also see the comments from people who waited and eventually bought the bag that suited them, and that they really wanted, later. And, of course, the comments frompeople who settled for less than what they really wanted.
Just bear in mind that sometimes colours in images are not how they are in real life. I have turned down bags that I thought I really wanted (based on web photos and opinions) because when I actually saw the bag, it didn't suit ME at all!
Nowdays, I insist on seeing a sample of the colour in my preferred leather (in a leather sample, a wallet, a different bag) before I buy (if I don't see the actual bag before paying).

Agree with others you should see it in person before turning it down. I also dismissed sauge earlier on until I saw a friend’s swift bolide in sauge and I completely fell in love. And it goes with everything in my closet. However if you are considering selling the bag in the future I suspect the mkt wont be that great as its extremely hard to photograph and the real thing is 100 times prettier than photos IMHO

If you go with the Sauge now (and it definitely feels like you are settling), and a few months later, a GM turns up, do you have the funds to grab GM as well (if you have to sell Sauge but it takes a little time)?

(Personally, I would wait for GM. I looove the texture of togo and I think it's perfect for the B style. And if both colors work for you, I think GM is a better choice as it's a true neutral.)