Opinion needed please ... Barenia Birkin dilemma ... new home or keep?

kelly7heaven

Aug 27, 2020
Hello dear Hermes lovers,

I have a little dilemma ...I`ve owend an HG Natural Barenia Birkin....for five years now and I do in fact love it dearly.
But in the first year I wore it about 4 times and since then only once a year, so basically it´s napping for 354 days a year in its little box in the closet.
I always use my handbags in turns, because I think they are created for that.

Although it´s a work of art that is infinitely beautiful and I´m aware that it´s an amazing bag that is extremely rare, I´ve found that it simply doesn´t match my clothing.
That´s why I´ve been Struggling for over half a year whether to give her to a new home or not ?

My fear is that one day I would regret having given her away.

Please tell me your opinion, I just can't make up my mind and maybe your opinion will help me.

Thank you !!!

Hello dear Hermes lovers,

I have a little dilemma ...I`ve owend an HG Natural Barenia Birkin....for five years now and I do in fact love it dearly.
But in the first year I wore it about 4 times and since then only once a year, so basically it´s napping for 354 days a year in its little box in the closet.
I always use my handbags in turns, because I think they are created for that.

Although it´s a work of art that is infinitely beautiful and I´m aware that it´s an amazing bag that is extremely rare, I´ve found that it simply doesn´t match my clothing.
That´s why I´ve been Struggling for over half a year whether to give her to a new home or not ?

My fear is that one day I would regret having given her away.

Please tell me your opinion, I just can't make up my mind and maybe your opinion will help me.

Thank you !!!
It's an expensive bag to stay in the closet most of the year, and it seems like you've had plenty of time to give her a chance. If you're not wearing it, maybe it's time to find it a new home. If one day your tastes change and you think you'd want a Barenia again, you can always seek one out on the preloved market.

One reason to consider hanging on to it is it if it's a 35 or 40. Smaller bags command more of a price premium right now, but bigger bags will come around again. Then again, selling a larger bag and investing the proceeds might end up being a wash anyway.

If you want to give her one more go, maybe commit to trying to wear the Barenia as much as possible one week or month (depending on how much you're getting out these days). Plan your outfits around the bag, and make it work to the best of your ability! Maybe you'll discover outfits you love that you'd never considered before.

I have a Barenia Kelly and it is one of my least used bags but I would never sell it. I have never sold any of my bags and I will never sell or any of them even if they are underused. Others prefer to offload purchasing mistakes or unused or barely used items. I think part of the consideration is whether you need the funds and/or whether the funds could be better used elsewhere. If you don’t need the funds now then I would just keep the bag until you really need to make a decision around it. Good luck!

Oof tough. I completely understand the fear of wanting it once it’s gone. But I think it’s important to remember the bag has to serve you and your lifestyle, not what others think. There’s a lot the money could do other than sitting in the closet. And take away the artificial scarcity from the discussion- if you find you miss it, I am confident you can find it again in time...but me personally, I’ve never had sellers remorse no matter how much i worry I might. I think psychologically we fear loss more than we appreciate gain

I agree W another commenter: use it 2x per month. I find using my bags gives me more perspective on their utility and my love for them and let’s me make a decision more calmly. Good luck!!

I love barenia as do many, so it would be difficult for me to recommend letting it go. I have been jonsing for a 28 barenia Kelly for years but half scratched that itch a bunch of years back when I acquired a 30 birkin and an evelyn in barenia. The key thing you mentioned is the color does not work for you. If you are absolutely without a doubt positive you would never use it, perhaps with one arm twisted, I whisper let it go. Just be sure to tell yourself remorse is not allowed and you will be fine with your decision.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and kai_415
I would personally rehome it. If you've had it for 5 years and you barely use it, I don't think that will change. I think you've had a very long time to assess it already.
I had rehomed a few bags which I regretted so I know that the fear of regret is very real. However, I find that regret is actually easier to deal with than the guilt and struggle associated with an unused bag sitting in the closet.

I assume you mean smooth Fauve Barenia.
IMO, I have had a Barenia Fauve B30 for several years now which is my most used Birkin. I was hesitant to use it at first but after the first oil mark, just mentally relented. Never worry about water but very careful with oil based products, especially food. Other than wrapping the handles with twillys, I give no more special treatment than I give my other B30‘s (Wipe down periodically, keep in box on back when not using). However, I am not super fussy about keeping this leather pristine, as I believe it should age gracefully and try not to prevent that happening. If that is not something you are comfortable with, then Barenia is probably not your ideal leather. HTH!

You don't want to sell it. Otherwise you would not be asking the question.
In some ways it is potentially for you a true investment piece:
nothing to do with 'financial return' but a quality item which at some time you will be pleased that you have
(and will have cost you nothing like as much as you would have to pay then).
It is the kind of natural leather bag which you can use in many situations.
Once you look upon it like that, you might find that you are able to use it more.

It sounds like you have remorse about not using it, but it also sounds like you would have remorse about finding a new home for your lovely handbag.

I agree with what some others have said, make an effort to use it more. If you find making that effort to use it more makes you unhappy, then that may help you make a decision about what to do.