Opinion: I like Prada designs but I wish they'd cool it on the saffiano

NicoleNY

Oct 21, 2006
It's been adopted by too many lower end brands at this point so it just doesn't look special to me even when it's made to Prada standards. It would be nice to see some newer textures on some of the classic designs or even just a plain smooth durable leather for the structured items. I actually like the epi-leather type they use for wallets in the outlets.

OogleAtLuxury

Nov 14, 2017
I wonder if they don't use smooth leather because of the cost. Adding texture probably makes it a lot easier to buy leather with natural blemishes, whereas with smooth leather bags, you have to have a nicer hide.

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
San Diego
they used to make some beautiful soft leather products - deerskin, etc. Haven't shopped a Prada botique for a long time. is everything saffiano now?

IntheOcean

Authenticator
Apr 4, 2018
I agree wholeheartedly. As much as I appreciate the durability of the Saffiano leather, Prada used to have so many beautiful, luxurious leathers to choose from. Now almost everything is Saffiano or nylon.

Searno29

Nov 2, 2018
I think tPF has many people, including myself, who love leathers and appreciate a high quality hide/skin including the characteristics and how they adapt over time. Large brands such as Prada will have analysts that will suggest what seems to sell more are leathers like Saffiano as it appears many shoppers value their items staying pristine for as long as possible. Buyers seem to be obsessed with keeping things looking as new as possible for as long as possible and saffiano offers this; bags keep their shape as the leather is so stiff. Last year I was having a chat with a leather SA at Hermes Bond St and we were discussing peau porc, the SA was quite surprised I even knew what it was and I was even more taken aback when he said all people want these days is Epsom, which by and large is not a loved leather here on tPF.

Reactions: a-s