Opening and closing my Bay

2704nina

Nov 29, 2011
I love my few month old oak bay but do have a few issues opening the clasp/lock when out shopping, it doesn't seem to open as smoothly as I'd like, there seems to be lots of fiddling to prize it open, the flaps get in the way, so I'm interested to know if anyone else has this problem or is it me not being patient enough? :wondering:wondering:wondering:wondering

I'm not sure if that's just your lock being stiff maybe? I've mastered the art of being able to open it with the same arm I have it on and get into it easily, but I always need the other hand to close it back up properly! Xxx

ive been struggling since i got mine and noticed that i must be pulling on it too much to get it open and the plate is slightly raised off the bag now, hope it doesnt eventually come off.

I don't really have this problem - maybe when I first had the bag for a few months I found it quite fiddly to keep opening the lock and the flap to get things out/put things in, but then I got used to it. It could be that the lock is a little stiff because it's still quite new?

When I need to get anything out I either reach into the side by just putting my hand under the flap (if it's something small and its on that side of the bag), or just undo the lock and then open the flap. I sometimes keep the lock 'open' if I know I'll be reaching into it again soon or constantly, so I can just lift up the flap if I need to get into the bag quickly. Otherwise I will keep it 'locked'.

I've got 2 bays that get a lot of use (I use them for work) and I've never had this problem. I think maybe its just getting used to it? I think they're probably still a lot easier to get into than some other mulberry bags.

I use my Oak Bay every day, opening and closing it has become second nature to me now. I seem to remember when I first got it it was a little fiddly but I'd persevere if I were you. It's such a beautiful bag it's worth getting used to. I re-treated mine with collonil this evening and a year after I got it I still get so much joy using it. It's the iconic Mulberry bag :smile:

You know I barely think of how I open mine. I do sometimes reach in to take my phone by squeezing my hand under to get it out the phone pocket. But I don't need to pull on the lock at all. If I need to take something out I move it from my shoulder to the crook of my arm , turn the lock then open the flap from there. I don't find it fiddly.

Lucinda2012 said:
I use my Oak Bay every day, opening and closing it has become second nature to me now. I seem to remember when I first got it it was a little fiddly but I'd persevere if I were you. It's such a beautiful bag it's worth getting used to. I re-treated mine with collonil this evening and a year after I got it I still get so much joy using it. It's the iconic Mulberry bag :smile:

I agree! :smile:

I love my few month old oak bay but do have a few issues opening the clasp/lock when out shopping, it doesn't seem to open as smoothly as I'd like, there seems to be lots of fiddling to prize it open, the flaps get in the way, so I'm interested to know if anyone else has this problem or is it me not being patient enough? :wondering:wondering:wondering:wondering

Snap. Had mine just over two years and find the whole bag awkward so it hardly gets used.

This is very interesting, as I love the style but rarely carry my Womble (UK weather and all that!) I've been thinking of a second, everyday Bays, but is she really an "everyday" bag? She doesn't seem to be a comfy shoulder bag, but a crook of arm/handheld bag, and I wonder whether she'd get heavy if carried all day? Do different leathers make a difference? Any thoughts would be appreciated! ;)

This is very interesting, as I love the style but rarely carry my Womble (UK weather and all that!) I've been thinking of a second, everyday Bays, but is she really an "everyday" bag? She doesn't seem to be a comfy shoulder bag, but a crook of arm/handheld bag, and I wonder whether she'd get heavy if carried all day? Do different leathers make a difference? Any thoughts would be appreciated! ;)

Not an everyday bag for me and i find it to heavy. It doesnt sit comfortably on my shoulder if i have a coat on and im not big 5ft 2 size 10. I find the handles to long to carry on crook of arm ( hate watching women carring crook of arm like they have had an arm transplant like the girl on Corrie in the pub). I also find the tap tap tapping of the brass wear seriously annoying if the bag is not full enough to pad it right out so i usually fill it with a scarf. Leathers making a difference i dont know. All i know is despite all my moaning i am to scared to part with it.

Geddes said:
Not an everyday bag for me and i find it to heavy. It doesnt sit comfortably on my shoulder if i have a coat on and im not big 5ft 2 size 10. I find the handles to long to carry on crook of arm ( hate watching women carring crook of arm like they have had an arm transplant like the girl on Corrie in the pub). I also find the tap tap tapping of the brass wear seriously annoying if the bag is not full enough to pad it right out so i usually fill it with a scarf. Leathers making a difference i dont know. All i know is despite all my moaning i am to scared to part with it.

This was my sentiments exactly with my oak bays. I had coveted it for a few years, took the plunge then didn't get along with her. I only had her 6 months maybe I should persevered longer but I thought it would be an everyday bag alas!

My Bays are definitely everyday bags - but it depends on the day!

Perfect for work, carrying a folder or Mac plus all my personal stuff back and forward to the car and maybe popping into the shops for lunch.

Not perfect for a long day out shopping or sightseeing, I prefer cross-body or shoulder bags for that.

Not sure if the different leathers make a difference really. Although my three Bays are all different in weight, they're all heavy if full!