Opal inlay ring info

Susan45

Jan 4, 2009
I am looking to get an opal inlay ring. If anyone has one can you tell me what the care is. Can you use it as an everyday ring or does it need to be taken off for washing hand, etc... ? I would want to wear it all day and take it off at night. They are so beautiful and I want to make sure this would work for me. Any thoughts on this? Thank you!

Reactions: RT1
Opals are beautiful and so stunning but they are porous so should not be worn when you wash your hands. You can have a doublet- a clear material over the opal for protection. Do you know? Can you ask the designer/maker for care and maintenance tips?

Thank you. It is a Kabana ring. I called a jewelry store who sells that brand and the sales person did not have much info so I though I would ask here. I did not know about the doublet. That might be a better option. I do not plan on working out or swimming with it. It still might not be the right option for me as I would like something I don't have to take off when washing my hands.

I’m not familiar with that brand. Please keep us updated on what you choose.

Edited to add that I have just looked through their website and Instagram and I can see why you love them :smile: could you perhaps reach out through those platforms as I know that most brands are really happy to chat about their jewellery.

Last edited:
Kabana is sold throughout the caribbean and just about any cruise port through Diamonds International, for example. They are really stunning and I think they already have a protective coating on them. They do a lot with mother of pearl, too. I have a friend who has some of their jewelry, and she doesn't take too many precautions while wearing her rings....but I think I would be safe about it.

Thank you both for your responses. I did find that inlays are pretty much doublets and i would need to be careful with water. I decided to hold off and check all my options and maybe go with a solid opal ring instead. I am also going to check other more durable stones. I appreciate being able to talk it through with you and your info was very helpful.

Thank you both for your responses. I did find that inlays are pretty much doublets and i would need to be careful with water. I decided to hold off and check all my options and maybe go with a solid opal ring instead. I am also going to check other more durable stones. I appreciate being able to talk it through with you and your info was very helpful.
I have a rather large opal doublet pendant and I never have any fear about cracking it due to wear.....I just love opals so much that I did crack a beautiful opal ring that I absolutely cherished by wearing it to death. Just for fun...check out Santa Fe Goldworks. Their inlay is just to die for. That will be my next quest......

I have a rather large opal doublet pendant and I never have any fear about cracking it due to wear.....I just love opals so much that I did crack a beautiful opal ring that I absolutely cherished by wearing it to death. Just for fun...check out Santa Fe Goldworks. Their inlay is just to die for. That will be my next quest......
Wow I checked that site. Their jewelry is beautiful!!!

I own three Kabana rings and can say that they are absolutely durable. Two have mother of pearl inlay and one has opal. I don’t wear them daily, but when I do, they don’t get any special care. When I wear to work, I leave them on to wash my hands (cold water only) and haven’t noticed any damage.
24963296-DAC0-4151-9F50-BAEF95A693CE.jpeg