Oooohing over a fake - so sad

Okay, I agree that fakes are ugly, ugly, ugly:throwup:, and I would not condone anyone buying one or carrying one and I think the whole fake industry is horrible:devil:, seeing that it violates all sorts of criminal laws (intellectual property, child labor, drug cartels, etc.) but, why do we keep having to pick on people who don't have money? Is it a crime that this woman dressed poorly to go have her hair done? I consider myself BLESSED to have the $$ to spend on LV. Please... have a little humility.

I agree!

Okay, I agree that fakes are ugly, ugly, ugly:throwup:, and I would not condone anyone buying one or carrying one and I think the whole fake industry is horrible:devil:, seeing that it violates all sorts of criminal laws (intellectual property, child labor, drug cartels, etc.) but, why do we keep having to pick on people who don't have money? Is it a crime that this woman dressed poorly to go have her hair done? I consider myself BLESSED to have the $$ to spend on LV. Please... have a little humility.
:yes:

The salon probably knew the woman as a regular and just showing good customer relations, sort of feeding her ego, kwim? Maybe the woman saves all her money for visits to the salon to feel happy and pampered... it might be sad to watch, but who knows what her circumstance is like in private?

^^^ ITA! It's best not to judge a book by it's cover ... I'm just thankful I have what I have.

Don't judge a book by it's cover regarding how the lady was dressed. My mom is notorious for dressing like a bum depending on where she's going, and she's quite well off. As for the fake bag...ew! I'll never understand the purpose when (the person knows) it's a fake. Just buy whatever is in your budget and stop pretending. I really don't understand the point when one can afford a real one. As for the fawning, it would be annoying. A friend of mine has a perforated Speedy and when she comes to my mom's salon, she leaves the purse at my mom's desk. No one's going to get a towel for it. The bag is not a client!

why do we keep having to pick on people who don't have money? Is it a crime that this woman dressed poorly to go have her hair done? I consider myself BLESSED to have the $$ to spend on LV. Please... have a little humility.

I don't think commenting on carrying a fake is necessarily picking on someone... I think the original poster wouldn't have had such an issue with what she had seen if the women in question hadn't made a deal about her fake bag.

I have a variety of expensive bags and whenever someone comments on them I simply say thank you. No "stroking" or boasting because I buy bags For me, not everyone else to gawk at, KWIM?

I do however know a few people with fakes and they are the only people I know that "make a scene" about luxury items when complemented. IMO boasting about all your luxury items loudly is classless. And with that said, let's all remember just because one has money doesn't mean they have class- class is all in how one acts and carries themselves.

ps I hope I didn't offend anyone with my mini rant!:P

First off, just because someone has a fake purse doesn't mean that they're poor or can't afford to buy the real thing. There are people who drive Mercedes and BMWs but proudly carry fake handbags, because they think spending more than $100 on a bag is silly. They may not realize or don't care about the harm in buying a fake handbag and supporting the counterfeit industry/child labor.

And maybe I'm missing posts but i don't see anyone here "making fun of people who don't have money". Many folks who can't afford real designer bags buy bags from Target, etc, and i haven't seen anyone here on TPF poke fun at that. I don't think the issue is that this woman was "dressed poorly". What bothers many ppl is when people (whether poor or rich or whatever) go around flaunting an obviously fake handbag, which is an obvious sign that they're trying to show off and fool others that they're carrying the real deal, when they're really not. It's one thing to just carry around a fake bag, but to flaunt it around and act like you're above everyone else because of it is another.

You should do what I do... everytime I see a fake, I politely ask, "Which boutique did you pick that up from?" ... and they will respond ______. Then I politely offer some advice, " you may want to bring it into the store and have them look at it. Something is odd about your purse. I hope they didn't switch the real one for a fake!" It works like a charm... You can see the guilt rush over their face when someone calls them out in such an elloquent way.

I just could not do that to someone, whether they are carrying a fake or not. There is always the possibility the person is unaware its a fake, for example if someone gave it to them. I just could not embarass them in public whether they are innocent or not. When I see someone carrying a fake, I simply cherish and hug onto mine a little tighter and know how fortunate I am to have such a great, authentic bag, I simply do not worry about what others are carrying. There are enough worries in my life that such things cannot concern me. I have no control over it, so why get upset about it.

I have to bite my tongue all of time because both my soon to be mother and sister in-law carry horrible fake bags. I want to scream and tell them that it's not cool. His mom doesn't really know the difference but his sister does and she thinks she's all that. Oh how I would like to take away all of her fakes.

BUT I'll have to wait until after the wedding ha ha ha